PDA

View Full Version : Which One should i Go for Ubuntu 9.04 or Ubuntu Ultimate

adi231189
May 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
hi Guys I am new Here so To the Ubuntu World Since One of My Friend Suggested that i should use Ubuntu since It is Very good for a low Spec Pc like mine but he told be that i can use Ubuntu 9.04 or Ubuntu Ultimate i usually don't know the difference b/w the two but there sizes are like double 1 is 700Mb and other is like 1.6GB so i wanted to know which one is good.

My pc specs are Like Pentium 4 2.4Ghz ,760MB RAM,40GB HD And Intel VGA graphics.

So i wanted to know Which one is better for me i also heard there are others liek Xubuntu And Please tell also I heard that there is something that makes Windows Applications Run on ubuntu easily is that true.

Please If i have made mistake anywher i am sorry.
Hoping for a Reply

Thanks

chrisod
May 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Stick with 9.04. Ultimate is loaded up with extras that will strain your 768 MB of RAM.

Bodsda
May 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hi, first off, welcome to the forums.

Ubuntu is the official distribution, and as far as I am aware, Ubuntu Ultimate is not official and is not supported on these forums (some one correct me if i'm wrong)

Your specs look like more then enough to run Ubuntu or Kubuntu depending on your preference.

The program that allows/attempts to let you run windows applications on Linux is called wine and can be downloaded here (http://www.winehq.org/download/deb).

If I were you, I would download Ubuntu 9.04 from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) and give it a go, if you dont like it, try kubuntu found here (http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download)

If you have any other questions or if you run into problems, dont hesitate to open a new thread with a descriptive title.

Hope this helps,

Bodsda

Kevbert
May 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
I'd go for 9.04 32 bit desktop Ubuntu. Ultimate will probably strain your PC and run a little slow. I've also had problems with the repositories for Ultimate, Ubuntu is more reliable.
The most likely problem you may have with either OS is wireless. If you have old XP drivers for the PC, you won't have any problems and if you're lucky they will come (along with display drivers) with the installation CD.
Good luck.

Bartender
May 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Don't get your hopes up about an application that runs WIndows programs "easily".
WINE works pretty well for some things, not at all for others. Go to WINE HQ and look in their AppDB for any comments on the WIndows programs you want to run.

Didius Falco
May 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

The size difference is because the Ubuntu Ultimate edition comes with a built-in repository of packages. This is better for people with limited or no access to the internet.

I haven't used it, but the reviews I've seen from others have been mostly negative - your mileage may vary.

I'd want more information about your PC before I'd recommend a particular version of Ubuntu. Some intel video have had problems running the Jaunty 9.04 release. You may be better off using 8.04 or 8.10, depending on your hardware specs.

The best way to figure out what version to run would be to get a list of your hardware together and check the Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List.

http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

You could also do some searches in the forum and ask question in threads.

One of the best ways to really get a feel for how it will work on your PC is to download the ISO and burn it to a CD. You can then boot the CD and run it Live from the CD without making any changes to your computer - you'll see that option on the boot list. Take into consideration that it will run a bit slower running from a CD and you can get a pretty good idea of how it will work.

Read the Release Notes of any version you are thinking of using before you download it to see if there are any known problems with your particular hardware.

Without knowing more about your hardware, particularly the video card, it's hard to make a recommendation at this stage, though.

You can run some Windows software using Wine. A trip to their website will help you find out if Wine will run the particular programs you are interested in.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

I hope this has been of some help to you...

Regards,

Didius

adi231189
May 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Wow Such Quick Response So i guess i Will Download The Ubuntu9.04 and Wht is Kubuntu and is it different and Also good to see that you guys will help me out since i have gone through some pages people saying About Partitioning etc Is this needed even if i have parition in my Windows XP ATM and also How much space will Ubuntu take in my HD and The Program u talking About Wine Does it Make All Windows Application Run On Linux and also wanted to Know As I have A Low Specs Pc will Ubuntu 9.04 run well on my pc.Since i am Fed up of Xp since it has provide so many probs for me.

EDIT: What is the Differnce B/w Kubuntu and Ubuntu Which Will be good for me also and can any body provide some screens of the Desktop of Both i want to see how they look

Bodsda
May 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Wow Such Quick Response So i guess i Will Download The Ubuntu9.04 and Wht is Kubuntu and is it different and Also good to see that you guys will help me out since i have gone through some pages people saying About Partitioning etc Is this needed even if i have parition in my Windows XP ATM and also How much space will Ubuntu take in my HD and The Program u talking About Wine Does it Make All Windows Application Run On Linux and also wanted to Know As I have A Low Specs Pc will Ubuntu 9.04 run well on my pc.Since i am Fed up of Xp since it has provide so many probs for me.

The difference between the two is the packages installed by default, alsso the most noticeable difference is that Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop environment where as Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop Environment.

As for installation size, im not sure on the exact number but I would suggest using half of your drive for windows and the other half for ubuntu -- That is of course If you wish to keep windows (I recommend you keep it until you have been using Ubuntu for some time)

As for wine, no it will not run everything, take a look at the AppDB http://appdb.winehq.org/
Search for the program you want to run and see if others have tried.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Bodsda

EDIT: Pictures

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/small/ubuntu904boot-large_001.png

http://kde.org/announcements/announce_4.2-beta1/desktop_thumb.png

Ubuntu is top, Kubuntu is bottom

Didius Falco
May 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
There is no need to download both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. You can install the KDE Desktop into Ubuntu to try it out, or install the Gnome Desktop into Kubuntu.

Regards,

Didius

Bölvağur
May 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
My pc specs are Like Pentium 4 2.4Ghz ,760MB RAM,40GB HD And Intel VGA graphics.
That looks more than enough. But you might have some troubles with the intel graphics card in the newest release, the release (8.10) before this one (9.04) has (probably) no problems with your graphics card... but that problem should be fixed soon-ish in 9.04. (my intel graphic card works though, but some people have gone back to ealier versions)

I would say rather try Linux mint than ultimate ubuntu, but then again... why not just try both. Linux Mint is ubuntu with codecs and a nicer theme than normal ubuntu.

Btw the strength of ubuntu is this forum above everything else. You'll automatically learn a lot just by browsing this forum and asking questions (check if they have been answered already in other threads before posting)

adi231189
May 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Guys I Am Really COnfused About the Partition Thing Bodsda u telling that i keep both but as u can see i have only 40GB HD i can''t keep both of them adn What is the Whole Partition Thing Do i have to do it Even If I have already parititione disk as i have currently XP install.I mean does this mean if i Install Kubuntu or Ubuntu I have to partition the Disks No Matter What So does that Mean i will Lose All the Data I Hvae Currently in Stock in my C And D Drives.

Still I am waiting to know which is better Kubuntu or Ubuntu since i can't download both that fast since i don't have that good ISP speed.And Do both use same amount of System Resources.

But Really Confused about the Partiton thing.

adi231189
May 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I think i Will Go for the Kubuntu Since it Looks Good And Also This Taskbar is Down As In the Case like in Windows XP so i guess it Will be Easy For Me to use But Still Looks Like I will Wait For Some Answers on the partition Issue Since This is Very Confusing since i clearly Don't Want to Dual Boot and Also I may ty this in My VM Ware.

qjmoss
May 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Is this computer that your trying to install ubuntu on just an extra PC for you to use around the house? As in, not for work?

Because with Ubuntu, you have to understand, Ubuntu has a very nice GUI. But if you go in depth, what you are used to is windows.

Windows, and Linux/Unix/Ubuntu are nothing alike. It WILL take time to get used to. It will be very frustrating, but most people really enjoy the time they put into learn the new OS, and enjoy it much more than Windows.

Me, a great example. I used windows for 13 years straight, never even put my fingers in Ubuntu/Linux. It was totally new, I ran into many problems but the time I spent learning this OS, has expanded my knowledge for Computers in a whole.

About the partition.. If you have more computers that you can use, and you wont just be stuck with a foreign OS. Then just install over there whole partition. You can use this PC just to learn Ubuntu, and soon it will turn into your main computer, I guarantee ; )

Some people dont realize when installing, that the partiton section, is a slide, so you can slide it, to install over your whole partiton.

Use this forum to ask any questions that you may come across, they community is very friendly.

I hope my information has helped a little.. i'm sorry for my lengthy response

qjmoss
May 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I think i Will Go for the Kubuntu Since it Looks Good And Also This Taskbar is Down As In the Case like in Windows XP so i guess it Will be Easy For Me to use But Still Looks Like I will Wait For Some Answers on the partition Issue Since This is Very Confusing since i clearly Don't Want to Dual Boot and Also I may ty this in My VM Ware.

Kubuntu will demand a little more resources that Ubuntu. And some people find Kubuntu a little more "annoying".

I will just say this.

The percentage of people that use Ubuntu over Kubuntu is kinda high..

Paddy Landau
May 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
About Partitioning etc...
If you have success booting a Live CD (as already described), then try Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/).

Wubi will let you install Ubuntu as if it were a Windows program. You can then put it through its proper paces.

If you don't like it, you just uninstall it.

If you do like it, you either just keep it or, for more reliable running, uninstall it and then do a proper installation into its own partition.

So, for now while you're experimenting, don't bother about partitioning.

Paddy Landau
May 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This Taskbar is Down As In the Case like in Windows XP
The task bar (we call it a "panel") can go up, down, left or right. And you can have more than one; Ubuntu comes as default with one at the top and another at the bottom. But you can get rid of one of them easily.

Paddy Landau
May 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
does that Mean i will Lose All the Data I Hvae Currently in Stock in my C And D Drives.
Do a full backup first! (Unless you use Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/), because that's like another ordinary program in Windows.)

By the way, if your PC specs are really small, you can go for Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) instead, which is like Ubuntu but for computers with smaller specs. But if it runs Windows XP alright, then you should have no problem with Ubuntu.

adi231189
May 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Okk This is the Only PC I haev to use it is In My Home not Work And This is where I Do all my Stuff So i would like the ubuntu to try in my pc first rather than Converting to it Straight Away So since i have only 40GB HD i don't think Dual Boot is a option so should i just install it in Virtual Machine First or is there any other way also to try Ubuntu.

I wanted If i Install Ubuntu Completely That is Only Keeping Ubuntu in my Pc then i have to create the Partitions Again and Will it delete my Exisiting Data in D drive which doesn't contain the OS.

Paddy Landau
May 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
should i just install it in Virtual Machine
No, don't use a virtual machine. Use Wubi as I described in a previous post.

I wanted If i Install Ubuntu Completely That is Only Keeping Ubuntu in my Pc then i have to create the Partitions Again and Will it delete my Exisiting Data in D drive which doesn't contain the OS.
You install Ubuntu in whichever partition you like. If you want to get rid of XP, then you'd install it onto the partition where your C drive is presently. You'd have to do a manual installation in order not to write over your D drive.

Backup all your data first, both the C and D drive in case you make a mistake! (Unless you are using Wubi. I strongly suggest that you try Wubi before making a decision.)

Kevbert
May 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Kubuntu will be a little slow with that amount of memory. It has a nice interface but is more resource hungry than Ubuntu. If you find Ubuntu is still a little slow you could try Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) instead (it's a cut down version of Ubuntu that uses xfce).

adi231189
May 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Acutally I wanted to Know Why I Can't install in VM Ware I though they were the safest bet to install a New OS to Check how it feels And What is WEBUI.And Please Before Suggesting Please Keep in Mind that i have a Very Low HD Size like 40GB only So I think Ubuntu itself takes like 4GB and If i install xp and ubuntu it will take like 6-7GB of my HD so a big loss for me.Really Wanted to Know Why I Should not install it in VM since it is the best basis to run Ubuntu in Windows Don't u Think also it doesn't Fiddle With the Windows It just makes a ISO but still since Ubuntu Has Some Kind of this Partition Making in the Option This Had made me Crazy What it does etc Since Backing Up like almost 30-35GB of DATA is Like Crazy stuff.

EDIT: Ok i Read About the WUBI Thing Here
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

I already Told that i am not thinking About dual Boot since My PC HD IS Too Small to Accomadate Both Hope U guys agree to that that's why i was going to install it in VM and try it out if i like it then install it Completely.

SO My Main Question was That When I Am Completely Installing Ubuntu in C drive that is The Drive which Contains the OS It Will Format the Drive Automatically Right And Also i have seen that When u Install Ubuntu Through CD there is Option of Making Partitions So does that mean that my Existing Paritions Will get Deleted Like the D Drive Will it get Completely Wiped Off When i install Ubuntu Through CD.

Paddy Landau
May 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Acutally I wanted to Know Why I Can't install in VM Ware...
You can. But there's absolutely no point; it will just slow down your Ubuntu experience, and possibly crash your computer, because of the resources it takes.

I though they were the safest bet to install a New OS to Check...
Ubuntu is extremely safe compared to Windows.

SO My Main Question was...
Right, adi231189, listen carefully. This is what you'll do if you want to answer all of your questions. BTW, this is safe, don't worry about it!

Download Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/).
Install it into Windows. (Once installed, you can delete the installation program to save space on your disk, just as you would any other Windows installation program.)
Reboot and play.

That's all. It's safe. It's simple. You won't have to keep worrying yourself about it if you do this. Just do it.

Afterwards...

If you do not like what you see:

Uninstall Wubi and forget about the whole thing.

If you do like what you see and want to go further:

Decide whether you want (a) to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu, or (b) to convert entirely to Ubuntu.
Come back to these forums to find out the precise steps to doing it.
Back up your data before actually doing it! (Especially as you're uncertain about the partitions, you may accidentally wipe out your data.)

Come back to the forums only after you've played with Wubi. We'll be happy to answer practical questions. At the moment it seems as though you're just sitting there paralyzed with worry.

adi231189
May 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Paddy Landau My Concern is Not That Ubuntu is Not Safe my concern is that as u say dual- boot It Will take large chunk of my Hard disk space as i already told 4GB+2GB of Windows almost 6GB of HD has been gone due to dual boot and also if i am going to do the Wubi thing Can i Install it in Same Partition as Windows or i have to install it in D drive rather than C drive which has my Windows Since If i install in D Drive Then For Sure i guess the Data in will be deleted before INstallation If i am Right?

orethrius
May 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
adi: Wubi is a separate program. It's to my understanding that everything it does is held wholly separate from Windows, thus not jeopardizing your existing data in any way. I may be mistaken, so please wait to hear back from Paddy before diving in. ;)

EDIT: Further clarification: I suggest the following method to conserve disk space. If at any time you find you don't like Ubuntu, you can remove it and walk away.
1. Install Wubi. This will use some disk space.
2. Remove Wubi. This frees up disk space for the next part.
3. Dual-boot with Ubuntu. Further details are available upon request, but it should be noted that you should back up any files you want from Wubi then remove Wubi to save space.

Honestly, if you don't like what you see in Wubi and don't want to put much effort into making Ubuntu work for you, I wouldn't recommend going much past step 2. If - however - you like what you see or are willing to change it, then welcome to Ubuntu. :)

In retrospect, I'd like to say that the whole "Windows vs. Linux" mindset seems to create issues. I'll note a couple I saw here and address them accordingly:

1. Ubuntu is Windows Lite.
Get that thought out of your mind. Pretend you're starting back in the Amiga days when Windows didn't even exist yet. Now imagine somebody else had the same idea - a convenient graphical interface to a command-line-driven system. Imagine they took it in a different direction. Now, if you're still with me, imagine that Windows hits the open market and introduces its own code base, complete with binaries that will only run on its Application Protocol Interfaces. Imagine that Microsoft made the specifications of these APIs public (hard to hide, given the results) but kept the actual source proprietary. Now, imagine that somebody else (the WINE project) had to figure out a way to get those same functions out of the proprietary APIs through fully open code, without compromising the actual APIs. It's not impossible; in fact, it's been happening every day for at least the past decade. The simple result is that there is some limited support for well-documented APIs, while more spotty support surfaces around specialty and vendor-proprietary APIs. Come to think of it, this answers the notion that WINE runs all Windows applications.

2. WINE is a cure-all for Windows applications on Linux.
At best, it's a Band-Aid that only works on programs that have small Windows dependencies, not massive codebases that hemmorage Windows APIs at every turn. See #1, above.

3. Virtual Machines are the safest way to try new systems.
While this is currently true, there is some speculation out there about the possibility of platform-independent virii infecting systems that way. This is nothing new; concern of cross-platform breaches has existed since the introduction of the first Java class. Additionally, speed issues are brought into play with virtual machines; to emulate a Pentium 3 800 MHz running at full speed, (I believe the numbers suggest that) you would need at least a Core 2 Duo running 1.6 GHz or higher. In other words, full-speed emulation requires an exponentially faster chipset. Finally, virtual machines are not "magic no-see-um boxes"; while concern may arise over the loss of space to a new system, one must also consider that a virtual machine takes up as much space if not more (for basic folders, etc etc). In that regard, it may be wiser to simply keep two system partitions and a lone data partition that stores everything else.

4. Wubi is dual-booting, so no thanks!
It's to my understanding that Wubi is a Windows-specific program that runs Ubuntu by hooking into a low-level API. Though I've not tried it myself, everything I've seen and heard suggests - to me, at any rate - that the only part of Wubi that involves "dual-booting" is a small bit of code that ends the Windows shell, and reinitiates it once the Wubi session is ended. This is not much different from how Windows used to be started from DOS. It's certainly less effort and MUCH better performance than rebooting to a live CD / DVD.

Bartender
May 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
adi -
Your questions are hard to follow. You might want to try asking one specific thing per sentence.

You have a 40GB main HDD. We understand that. What's on this D:drive that you mention? I assume Windows is installed to C:, correct?

Does D: contain personal data? Music, photos, documents, etc.?

Partitioning is NOT that hard. But it's scary at first, because you're dealing with all these new terms and you're worried about wiping out your Windows data.

For instance, I've never thought of a partition, or a hard drive for that matter, as anything other than C:drive, D:drive, etc. The Windows way. Suddenly I had to figure out sda, sdb, sda1, etc.

If you think about it, the Linux terminology makes more sense than Windows terminology. Windows describes one hard drive and two partitions in the exact same terms as it does two hard drives with one partition each!

Can you scrounge up a spare hard drive out of a broken or unused PC? Plugging a second HDD into your PC for Ubuntu would be a great way to avoid clogging up the 40 GB HDD.

With a second HDD, you'd have to make a decision whether to install Ubuntu entirely to that drive or let GRUB rewrite part of the Windows MBR on the first drive. Let us know if you can get your hands on a spare drive first.

4GB would be enough to at least install Ubuntu. For starters, anyway.

You seem to be asking questions about wiping out existing data to install Ubuntu. Let's make sure everyone's on the same page.
1) If you install Ubuntu to a hard drive in the traditional manner, you are going to need to partition. At the minimum, either one primary partition for the OS and one extended for swap, or an extended partition with a logical partition for the OS and another logical for swap.
2) File Systems - Windows uses NTFS as the file system. Linux uses two different file systems. ext3 or ext4 is common for data, plus linux-swap for the swap partition. I want to make that clear in case you were thinking that maybe Windows and Linux can share a partition. It can't be done if you're installing both operating systems. Wubi is a way around that rule, but I don't understand exactly how it functions so don't want to say something dumb.

adi231189
May 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I have No Problem installing this Immediately but i fear of the Data los which might take place in my D Drive Since I am not the only one using the Pc and i don't have any spare HD if i had i would hvae already plugged it in:(.

Also the Whole Thing Of WUBI is Quite Complex Since I wanted to Know Does it Makes Some Way to iNstall both Windows and Linux in Same C Drive or Different Drives Since i Only Have C And D Drives so C Drive has Windows so Does WUBI usage Allows Me To install the linux in the same drive as the Windows is Currently Present Or I have to install the Linux in Seperate Drive Like D drive since that is the only one Left.

And Yeah I AM Ready to Jump into Ubuntu Otherwise i Wouldn't Have Asked so many Question and waste My time and your time guys.Since When i first saw ubuntu in my friends house i fell in love with it So Good.

But still A Few Question are Freaking my mind out So If I ask Some Question that Frustrates u guys i m sorry:)

Bartender
May 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Well, your heart is ready to jump into Ubuntu anyway. Your brain is saying, "Wait a minute here..."

Lots of questions are OK, but at some point people on the forums will grow impatient with the SAME questions. And if you don't respond to questions, like "what's on D:", that turns people off too.

Read this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

It sure looks to me, after about five minutes of poking around on my crappy dial-up connection, that Wubi installs to the Windows partition. In your case, C:

I prefer a traditional installation instead of running Linux inside of Windows (Wubi) but in your case (dinky main HDD and other people using the same PC) Wubi might be the best solution for right now.

EDIT: Note on that Wubi Guide webpage that you may have problems if there's less than 5GB free space on the drive...

Ms_Angel_D
May 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Wubi is not a dual boot. I first installed wubi before switching to Ubuntu completely. Wubi simply installs Ubuntu into a file inside your windows installation. Then adds the option to choose to load this file into your master boot record, so when you start your computer you have an option to load either this file with ubuntu or load into your windows installation. If you decide you don't like and Ubuntu isn't for you, then you go into add/remove programs in the control panel and Uninstall it. Just like any other software installation you can choose where to install wubi to in windows.

Wubi installs just like you would install any other piece of software into windows.
Wubi will not create a partition
Wubi will not overwrite your existing data
wubi is great for discovering Ubuntu.
wubi has slightly lower performance than an actual install
using wubi you will not be able to hibernate or suspend your computer

If something happens your to windows install you will not have access to wubi either since it installs into a file inside of windows. Therefore if you try Ubuntu in this manner & decide you like it, It is recommended that you then proceed to remove wubi, and either dual boot with windows or just wipe windows and install Ubuntu.

These tutorials all have screenshots included

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm)
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm)
How to install Ubuntu with Wubi (http://www.howtoforge.com/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows)

Ubuntu Linux Resources (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index)

adi231189
May 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wubi is not a dual boot. I first installed wubi before switching to Ubuntu completely. Wubi simply installs Ubuntu into a file inside your windows installation. Then adds the option to choose to load this file into your master boot record, so when you start your computer you have an option to load either this file with ubuntu or load into your windows installation. If you decide you don't like and Ubuntu isn't for you, then you go into add/remove programs in the control panel and Uninstall it. Just like any other software installation you can choose where to install wubi to in windows.

Wubi installs just like you would install any other piece of software into windows.
Wubi will not create a partition
Wubi will not overwrite your existing data
wubi is great for discovering Ubuntu.
wubi has slightly lower performance than an actual install
using wubi you will not be able to hibernate or suspend your computer

If something happens your to windows install you will not have access to wubi either since it installs into a file inside of windows. Therefore if you try Ubuntu in this manner & decide you like it, It is recommended that you then proceed to remove wubi, and either dual boot with windows or just wipe windows and install Ubuntu.

These tutorials all have screenshots included

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm)
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm)
How to install Ubuntu with Wubi (http://www.howtoforge.com/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows)

Ubuntu Linux Resources (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index)

That Was What i WaS looking For Thanks As you said That WUBI is jsut like a Appz Which Installs in WIndows Like any otehr but lets u install ubuntu through it in same partition like in my case C drive.

And bartender

Already Told That My D Drive has Personal Data mentioned in the Reply in First Line So I need Like 5Gb of free Space in C to install WUBI and Ubuntu on it.hmm...
THat was the Main Concern Of mine When i was thinking abt Vm But i guess both WUBI and VM do the same work To some Extent since they don't delte any data even if u install a New OS.

EDIT: MetalHellsAngel (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=416115)

That Was A Wonderful Guide It Clearly Stated that the Ubuntu Installed through WUBI Doesn't Fiddle With DATA And Now At LAst I Can Test Ubuntu And Really Looking Forward to a New Experience And More Help If i Get Stuck the Same Way;)

And There Are more Questions In My Mind For Installing the ubuntu Completely That is Deleting Windows But that i will ask Later.:D

Paddy Landau
May 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
adi: Wubi is a separate program. It's to my understanding that everything it does is held wholly separate from Windows, thus not jeopardizing your existing data in any way.
Correct. You install Wubi as just another Windows program. However, you have to reboot each time you want to swap between Windows and Wubi.

Advantages of Wubi: Easy, simple, safe, easy, simple, safe. Oh, and did I mention safe and easy? If adi231189 would just do it, he'd find that out.

Disadvantages of Wubi in addition to MetalHellsAngel's comments: You can't access your Ubuntu files from Windows (although you can access your Windows files from Wubi), and it's more susceptible to crashes and data corruption.

I want to make that clear in case you were thinking that maybe Windows and Linux can share a partition. It can't be done if you're installing both operating systems.
Correct. However, you can (if you want) have a data partition that both can share. Linux easily and transparently can access Windows' NTFS partitions. And Windows can access Linux's ext3 partitions with the right driver (Ex2 File System (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43775) or Ext2 IFS for Windows (http://www.fs-driver.org/). Despite their names, both access ext3 in read-only or read-write mode -- your choice -- although the first one is more compatible and up-to-date).

R_U_Q_R_U
May 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wubi is not a dual boot. ...

Best explanation yet. I think you cleared the confusion.:p

Ms_Angel_D
May 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Best explanation yet. I think you cleared the confusion.:p

lmao ok I'm trying to figure it out, but the curiosity is killing me is that sarcasm or are being serious...roflmao

adi231189
May 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Ok Guys I Installed Ubuntu Through WUBI and I will Be frank I love it and not that difficult to learn not that different to Windows in my opinion But yeah I Have some problem Since my Internet is getting Disconnected and getting connected to many times also I wanted to know can i acess the C drive of the Windows Since Some files are there i know that D drive i am able to see all the files which i had in Windows.I wanted to know how to see files which were in C drive of the windows

2nd thing i wanted to know is there any way i can make the taskbar come below as it is in Windows Rather than it being above.

utnubuuser
May 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
8.04 is rock-solid, and so is 8.10. -8.04 is also a long-term-support version.

Ms_Angel_D
May 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ok Guys I Installed Ubuntu Through WUBI and I will Be frank I love it and not that difficult to learn not that different to Windows in my opinion But yeah I Have some problem Since my Internet is getting Disconnected and getting connected to many times also I wanted to know can i acess the C drive of the Windows Since Some files are there i know that D drive i am able to see all the files which i had in Windows.I wanted to know how to see files which were in C drive of the windows

2nd thing i wanted to know is there any way i can make the taskbar come below as it is in Windows Rather than it being above.

You should be able to access your c drive through either /media or /host

You can drag and drop the items on the panels. just right click on what you want move and make sure you unlock it. You can also right click on the panel and add what you want to it through the menu that opens up.

Paddy Landau
May 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Since my Internet is getting Disconnected and getting connected to many times...
Is that because of a problem with Ubuntu, or is it a problem with your Internet access?

can i acess the C drive of the Windows...
Yes. If you click on the menu Places, you should see your C: drive listed there. (It won't be called the C: drive, though; its name will depend on what you called the drive when you installed Windows.)

In Gnome, the taskbar is called a panel. You can add new panels (the default Ubuntu installation comes with two panels, one at the top and one at the bottom), delete old panels, change their location, and move menus and other items between panels. You can change the size of the panel (both the height and width). If you have a dual screen, you can move the panel between one screen and the other.

EDIT: You can even float a panel in the middle of your screen (though I don't know why you'd want to!).

Start with this:

Right-click the panel you want to move and select Properties.
You should see an Orientation option; choose Bottom.
There are several other options that you can play with.
Press the Help button for more information.

Try moving some items from one panel to another. I've moved everything into one panel, and deleted the second panel, to maximise my screen space.

Try adding new panel items; right-click a panel and select Add to Panel... Press the Help button for more information. For example: You can replace your set of menus (Accessories, Places, System) with a single Main Menu circle (like the "Start" button in XP or the "orb" in Vista). Or you could add "Sticky Notes" to your desktop.

Play and experiment, and search the forums should you have problems (people have asked all those questions before!).

adi231189
May 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I thought the C Drive will automatically Show up in the Desktop of the Ubuntu stating Host but it is like that that's why asking where to locate it and.And My internet is coonecting fine in Windows Only prob in Ubuntu

Paddy Landau
May 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I thought the C Drive will automatically Show up in the Desktop of the Ubuntu stating Host but it is like that that's why asking where to locate it
Sorry, I don't know. It's like that on my machine. There is a way to have it mount automatically; search the forums, because the answer is in here somewhere.

My internet is coonecting fine in Windows Only prob in Ubuntu
Create a new thread in the forum to ask for help. In the thread, mention what type of connection you have (dial-up, wired, or wireless), and anything you might know about the hardware that you're using to connect. Also mention that you're using Jaunty in Wubi.

EDIT: Also be very specific about what problems you're having with the Internet.

Bartender
May 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
adi -
I would caution against removing the top panel. Leave it there for a few weeks and see what you think then. Folks often have a gut reaction to things that aren't Windows-like and want to change them.
At first I thought two panels was weird, but I like it now. Running applications are in the bottom panel, and shortcuts/navigation are on top.
What seemed weird at first now seems more logical than the Windows way.
If you don't want to fiddle around and try to make the Windows partition mount automatically, you'll get used to going to Places and mounting it from there.

carml
May 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
To mount your NTFS (= Windows C: and D: drives:)) you may need to install ntfs-3g package.
In order to do this you need to stay connected to the web,then go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager,look for ntfs then right-click in the blank square near the name and it will be installed :).

stanca
June 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Edition is very good for a newbie/beginner in Linux.It has many usefull preinstalled apps and tweaks.I started with it a year ago and never let go.I would start with the 32bit version.;)
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3222

xx58
June 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
:rolleyes: Try Ubuntu 8.04, because Ubuntu 8.10 you cannot download at Internet. Ubuntu 9.04 is not work very good and I try it month ago and I return to Ubuntu 8.10. I try many times to install Ubuntu 9,04, but every time I had much problems. So, try Ubuntu 8.04 and when you know more, then try something else.

bonkadventure2
June 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I am using 9.04 right now. I've never heard of Ultimate, so sorry. But Ubuntu is really awesome and I recommend using it. One tip: Use DEB files to install stuff, until you feel comfortable with a terminal