PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's browser strategy is working!

cl333r
May 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
A few weeks ago Microsoft started sending it's IE8 browser to (almost) all windows users as a critical update.
There are 2 ways to setup the browser, the fast way - express settings and the custom way. Microsoft knows that the overwhelming majority always chooses express settings, and here's the catch: in express settings IE is the default browser. It's genius - Microsoft found another way to promote its browser's market share in a legal way - by "leveraging" users habits.
As a result the stat counter shows a slight increase in IE share and Firefox decrease:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200903-200905
and if you look closer, at this month alone, it's like a boom actually:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-daily-20090501-20090512

We all remember that after the IE8 release we saw a month later IE's market share still dropping at steady pace. So Microsoft chose to not stand still and do something about! And hell it works!

gnomeuser
May 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I don't especially see a problem, the express option even before you apply it directly tells you that it will set the default to IE8. You are informed, and you can overwrite the setting before and after the IE8 upgrade if you disagree with it.

Now I wish they would have elected to make that default "Use existing system default" since that would have been more correct behaviour and it would still have gotten existing IE users on IE8.

Yownanymous
May 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I don't know why they want people to use their crappy browser, if they want to make profits...

cl333r
May 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Imo they were just supposed to let the current default browser to stay the default one. (I'm sure) they started the update mostly for this reason and of course they will state otherwise -like for the sake of security and/or "innovation", etc. you name it.

pwnst*r
May 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
not a big deal, imo.

Dragonbite
May 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've been using IE 8 for a while now and it sucks. Very sloooow.

I click Ctnl+T or the new Tab tab and I can almost count to 5 (Mississippi) before the BLANK page shows up!

binbash
May 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
IE 8 has some serious problems with prototype.Most sites do not work.

Sand & Mercury
May 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't care what they set default browser to as long as it could mean less people are using IE6 and making my job easier.

Besides, anyone who's not pants-on-head retarded when it comes to computing knows how to set their default browser anyway.

Sublime Porte
May 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know why they want people to use their crappy browser, if they want to make profits...

If their crappy browser is used by more people, then they can start to implement their own proprietary "standards" and tie things like the web into their OS. That's quite a profitable venture.

Skripka
May 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Whups....someone just found out about this update for their XP partition.....

SuperSonic4
May 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
It's not too difficult to set it back, firefox checks on loading by default so it's easy enough. If anything this may come in handy for if people see how terrible IE8 is firefox will increase more. New software is nearly always intriguing - after all look how many people upgraded to Jaunty on release day

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Browser wars are way too web 1.0. Still, if all web developers decided to rewrite their code entirely to standards overnight, you'd see IE's usage statistics disappear.

Tibuda
May 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
It's a good thing. I hope this will help people to get rid of IE6. I don't think Firefox/Chrome users will switch to IE8.

cl333r
May 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think Firefox/Chrome users will switch to IE8.

It's not a good way to think, because it's a half truth - because you're alluding that _all_ users of Firefox have downloaded themselves and installed the browser which is of course, to say the least, not quite so.

Also, there are enough people who will use whatever pops up and works not too shabby.

And that explains why the IE usage has boomed not after IE 8 was released but after Microsoft started pushing the "critical" update.
Imagine what would happen if Mozilla were allowed to do such a "critical" update to all windows users asking each of them if they want to use Firefox by default, I bet lots of them would agree for different reasons and suddenly Firefox could jump from 20-40% to like 70% market share in just a few months.

Maheriano
May 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi, Internet Explorer, my name is WC3. Have we met?

original_jamingrit
May 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I don't care what they set default browser to as long as it could mean less people are using IE6 and making my job easier.

hear hear. I hate the fact that there are still people out there using IE6. Their numbers are at least getting smaller and smaller.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Giant Speck
May 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I kinda like IE 8.

Marlonsm
May 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
What is happening is that those people who had FF installed for them by some friend/relative, but actually don't know much about browsers, are going back to IE now, as it becomes the default browser.

If yu take a look at countries where most Windows are pirated, so they won't auto-update, like Brazil, IE usage has actually fallen this month(as it did last month).

Corelogik
May 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Browser wars are way too web 1.0. Still, if all web developers decided to rewrite their code entirely to standards overnight, you'd see IE's usage statistics disappear.

hear, hear. I began writing my code to W3C standards years ago, IE users be damned. If someone complained that the site didn't work/look right in IE, I told them to install Firefox.

For awhile I even had a notice on my site that said something to the effect of "If your using IE, I don't care. Get a real browser and come back. We'd love to have you, when you join the rest of the world."

Surprisingly, or maybe not, I haven't gotten a lot of complaints in the last year or so. Most of my site traffic comes through Firefox and Safari according to my server logs.

Unless a client specifically needs some IE functionality, I completely ignore IE considerations in site design.

pwnst*r
May 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I kinda like IE 8.

same. it's much improved over previous versions. it IS a little slower than IE7 on my new install (new gaming rig too) of Vista, but it's not my main browser, so i couldn't care less.

Patrick-Ruff
May 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I think google chrome's gonna beat out the competition. it's ridiculously fast and nice to use for windows.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Good, good. Windows users will end up using more of Microsoft's junk software, rendering the operating system even more useless for them than it was before. I hope they kill IE6 for good while they're at it. (Why not use those lobyists for something positive and try to convince the miriads of businesses out that they should at least use a browser which applies some attempt at security?).

spoons
May 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
(Why not use those lobyists for something positive and try to convince the miriads of businesses out that they should at least use a browser which applies some attempt at security?).

I'd expect they don't do it because doing it would cost some money.

dspari1
May 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
A few weeks ago Microsoft started sending it's IE8 browser to (almost) all windows users as a critical update.
There are 2 ways to setup the browser, the fast way - express settings and the custom way. Microsoft knows that the overwhelming majority always chooses express settings, and here's the catch: in express settings IE is the default browser. It's genius - Microsoft found another way to promote its browser's market share in a legal way - by "leveraging" users habits.
As a result the stat counter shows a slight increase in IE share and Firefox decrease:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200903-200905
and if you look closer, at this month alone, it's like a boom actually:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-daily-20090501-20090512

We all remember that after the IE8 release we saw a month later IE's market share still dropping at steady pace. So Microsoft chose to not stand still and do something about! And hell it works!

The reason I think you saw the usage going up for IE8 is because people are testing the new browser out to see what it is about. I doubt that gs.statcounter.com is sophisticated enough to be spying on your computer to see what browser is the default.

LinuxGuy1234
May 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
To the user who says gs.statcounter.com is spying for your default web browser: I don't think so, it's using your user agent sent by the browser.

Micro$oft wants you to follow broken, unstandardized standards they set so they dominate the browser and OS market. Seriously, get a hobby OS with a port of lynx and use that to browse the web. Jeez.

Chame_Wizard
May 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Keep using FF and Opera .:P:guitar:

SonicSteve
May 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
IE 8 won't be installing on my network yet. Not until it's been tested to death. Eventually I won't likely have a choice but for now it's IE 7 with some sprinkle testing of Firefox.

What I really want is to create an MSI file that has Adblock plus installed by default. I would mass install it if I could do that.

lisati
May 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
hear hear. I hate the fact that there are still people out there using IE6. Their numbers are at least getting smaller and smaller.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

How about this one: after messing around trying to get a usable Linux distro working on an old machine, I decided to put Win98 back on it. The default browser on that Windows disk is Ie4!!!! (Yes, I do have a real Win98SE CD)

BuffaloX
May 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
It's not a good way to think, because it's a half truth - because you're alluding that _all_ users of Firefox have downloaded themselves and installed the browser which is of course, to say the least, not quite so.

Also, there are enough people who will use whatever pops up and works not too shabby.

And that explains why the IE usage has boomed not after IE 8 was released but after Microsoft started pushing the "critical" update.
Imagine what would happen if Mozilla were allowed to do such a "critical" update to all windows users asking each of them if they want to use Firefox by default, I bet lots of them would agree for different reasons and suddenly Firefox could jump from 20-40% to like 70% market share in just a few months.

Thanks for the update, and you are absolutely 100% right.
I've installed Firefox for some friends and family that are probably completely ignorant about this, so I'll remember to check up when I see them, and if needed put Firefox back as default browser.

geoken
May 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
What does the default browser matter?

I'd wager that a tiny fraction of internet usage is initiated by a user following a link in a desktop app. The vast, vast majority of browsing is initiated by the user directly launching the browser. Unless changing the default browser erases the Firefox icon off the desktop I don't see this having a large effect, on the first launch of firefox they'll be re-prompted to set it as the default.

geoken
May 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM

++

I'm looking forward to using png's without reserve (well I still need to have some reserve since IE still discolors png's).

LightB
May 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM
This "strategy" is old as IE. Sheesh, you discovered nothing.

MikeTheC
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, when I recently nuked-n-paved my system to do the clean install after 9.04's release, when I was doing my Windows updates I got IE8. Then again, I'm not your typical average user, and so I went through and customized things. I also installed Firefox and set that to my default.

Yay beer!

Mateo
May 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Pretty sure every browser asks to make itself the default browser.

pricetech
May 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM
IE 8 won't be installing on my network yet. Not until it's been tested to death. Eventually I won't likely have a choice but for now it's IE 7 with some sprinkle testing of Firefox.

What I really want is to create an MSI file that has Adblock plus installed by default. I would mass install it if I could do that.

You're using the IE8 Blocker ??? Free from MS in case you're not already.

pricetech
May 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I've installed the blocker here on most of the computers. I subsequently installed IE8 myself on a few to see how it works out. (200 computers total, just a few have IE8 No complaints yet, but time will tell.

As much as I'd like to push Firefox and Opera and do away with MS Office in lieu of Open Office, all I can do is install them and hope folks use them.

Mazza558
May 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM
IE8 isn't half bad on Windows 7 actually. A lot faster than on XP or Vista for some reason.

Pixel
May 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM

IE8 is actually a very nice browser, for me, who pretty spends all day surfing the web on various types of websites, it runs just as fast as any other browser that i have used, (Firefox 3.5b, Chrome, Opera). There are very little to no bugs that I have encountered, and you can tweak quiet a lot of stuff on the visual aspect of it, such as hiding menus, smaller icons, etc. Don't bash it if you haven't tried it.

SonicSteve
May 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
You're using the IE8 Blocker ??? Free from MS in case you're not already.

I'll have to run a test system.

It would figure though that the only adblocker for IE that is free comes from MS. I've seen others, and typically they want $20-$30. For the reasons of security from Scripts, adblocking, and keeping MS from 100% market share I've chosen Firefox.

EDIT,
I wonder if the IE8 blocker also blocks Microsoft Ads! I don't think we should get our hopes up. :)