PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GTX280 Cant see login screen correctly

Shilor
May 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hello I am fairly new to linux. I used it for a little bit about a year ago but only just decided to use it again. Pretty much I am a noob at it. Here is my problem. Ever since I upgraded my video card to GTX280 from a 8800 ultra I haven't been able to log into Ubuntu (version 8.04.1) I get to the login screen but it is all garbled and cannot make out what I am looking at. I can however see a message down the bottom that says "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode - your screen and graphics card could not be detected" that is all I can make out as the rest of the message is chopped off. My first assumption is that I need to install the drivers for the gtx280 but I have no idea how I can go about this since I cant see what I am doing. Would I need to somehow get to a command prompt and download it through there? If so how could I get to it? Also I'm not sure what I would need to type out if that is the case. Secondly should I just download Ubuntu 9.04 and reinstall?

brentrubeck
May 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You will probably have to update the driver (it is proprietary from Nvidia so Ubuntu can't distribute it). Here is their link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_177.13.html

You may have to do a little bit of research to see how to get a non-graphical (text based) login or the short-cut keys to drop out of the x windows environment (if you can get logged in). The short-cut key to decrease resolution is Ctr Alt - The plus sign will increase the resolution with control and alt.