PDA

View Full Version : Importing scipy submodules changed after upgrade to 9.04 (jaunty)?

lckarssen
May 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I've got two installs here, one ubuntu 8.10 and another ubuntu 8.10, recently upgraded to 9.04.

When running ipython I noticed that ipython -p scipy doesn't seem the load the scipy.special module anymore on the 9.04 machine. I need to import it by hand. The same holds for example for scipy.fftpack.

Also when running the program from the command line the same problem exists. For example:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from scipy import *

def main():
print special.sph_harm(1,1, 0,0)

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

works on 8.10, but on 9.04 I need to write:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from scipy.special import *

def main():
print sph_harm(1,1, 0,0)

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

I tried to find out how the modules are loaded on the two systems and I found in the python manual that the __init__.py file in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/ (for 8.10) and /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/scipy (for 9.04) should contain an __all__ = ["list with packages to be loaded here"] line. In fact, on both releases the tag exists: __all__ = ['pkgload','test']. And since the function scipy.pkgload() should load all packages (and a quick test in ipython shows that it does on 9.04) I don't understand why it doesn't seem to load all submodules when importing scipy on 9.04.

Anybody experiencing this as well?