PDA

View Full Version : TIP: Cairo Dock / GLX Dock 2.0 is out !

RavanH
May 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
The great dock version 2.0 features 100% OpenGL, more plugins, themes and applets and lots more 3D effects :)

The package includes a OpenGL version (GLX-Dock) and a non-OpenGL version.

Unfortunately, it is not in the official Ubuntu repo yet. Read the instructions about adding the Cairo Dock / GLX Dock repository and installing the dock on http://www.cairo-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=From%20the%20repository&lang=en#7-Ubuntu

If you encounter an error during installation/upgrade, read the tip at the end!

jpeddicord
May 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Moved from Tutorials & Tips, please see the inclusion criteria (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677396):

The following items are not considered as tutorials.

* Posts that contain only links to offsite pages or blog posts. To be admitted, the tutorial must be a single, complete on-site post. Files or packages can be hosted offsite, but a tutorial must include all the pertinent information here, on the forums.

nacho32
May 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
yes someone just posted this but anyhow this is great stuff:)

RavanH
May 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Moved from Tutorials & Tips, please see the inclusion criteria (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677396):

Ok, sorry about that... It was not at all meant as a 'Tutorial' but rather as a 'Tip' as the title indicates. Maybe the forum title would be clearer if it where more like "Tutorials & How-to's" to not be confusing in that sence.

Thank you for moving this tip :)

jimbo99
May 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
In a program where it's success is based on the visuals, where that program's site doesn't show visuals right off, I can only conclude that they are weak visuals thus a weak program.

RavanH
May 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
In a program where it's success is based on the visuals, where that program's site doesn't show visuals right off, I can only conclude that they are weak visuals thus a weak program.

I agree their website does not look too promising. The dock itself however :guitar: (depending on which theme you choose ofcource ;) )

fabounet
May 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
you will miss a lot of things in your life with such an attitude :roll:
anyway 5 seconds of an intensive reflexion would hae lead you to this page :
http://www.cairo-dock.org/mc_album.php?a=3

jimbo99
May 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I think they will miss more potential users with their attitude. Their site should have visuals for a visual product. When you don't you don't have a good product, no matter how good or bad your site is. It's the mindset that kills both (site and product).

I've been in the industry for 25 years and have seen weak programs and programmers and people that think they know better than the consumers of their product. These guys, with their lack of attention to detail show they lack the detail to make a solid product.

Favux
May 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hi jimbo99,

That's a little harsh isn't it? Sure you've been in the biz for years and have experience. But it isn't a commercial product after all. Who knows what resource constraints they are under? There might be limitations on the hosting website. The project manager (whoever that might be) and his team have posted lots of video clips that I at least have seen. They seem quite proud of their product. Justly so it seems to me.

You've looked at the website and didn't like it. Have you installed and evaluated Cairo Dock for yourself? What did you think of it?

loneowais
May 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Well this is the FREE world. If you don't like a project, join it and make it good. Honestly if you know things about marketing (kinda) then you should join them and help them with their website. At least you should contact them directly and suggest things. This is the spirit of FREE software.

I think they will miss more potential users with their attitude. Their site should have visuals for a visual product. When you don't you don't have a good product, no matter how good or bad your site is. It's the mindset that kills both (site and product).

I've been in the industry for 25 years and have seen weak programs and programmers and people that think they know better than the consumers of their product. These guys, with their lack of attention to detail show they lack the detail to make a solid product.