PDA

View Full Version : Weekend/Summer Job Ideas

dummptyhummpty
May 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I was joking with my girlfriend that it would be nice to have a second job to earn some extra income and figured why not. I've been trying to come up with some small job ideas, involving computers or electronics, that I could do on weekends or around my normal job (three days a week ~ 20-24 hours) and summer school (twice a week ~16 hours for the next six weeks).

My part time job is as an independent contractor for another consultant and we mostly manage Windows servers and workstations for local, small businesses. We also do the occasional firewall install. To prevent any conflict of interest, I think it's easiest to not deal with small businesses, unless it's doing something different.

Some realistic ideas I have thought of:

Virus/Spyware Removal - I'm actually pretty good at this, but there seems to be a lot of competition. I just don't want to get into showing people how to use a computer.
Designing home networks - Making recommendations on people's planned usage/needs.
Copying people's VHS tapes to DVDs
Home Theater Setup - The basics (connecting things, etc). I've never wall mounted a plasma though. My g/f pointed out that most people would just have the store where they bought their equipment set it up. I disagree.

Random/Non-realistic ideas:

Sell Pre-Configured centrally manged hotspots - Something I'd like to maybe turn into a business down the road. Start small?
Provide Linux Based Computer Labs (solutions?) to schools - I'd love to help schools save money by going with Linux based/open source computer labs/solutions. I'm sure this is more work than i'm looking for right now.
I have three older HP servers sitting around - I was thinking basic web hosting, but my friend said this is a lot of work (from experience). Any ideas what I could use them for besides around the house.
Something to do with Asterisk/Trixbox - I've had experience and didn't know if I could put that to use.

I'd appreciate any ideas or feedback on my ideas. Thanks!