PDA

View Full Version : The most clueless rant I ever saw

lovinglinux
May 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have a post stored in my rss reader that was posted today on the "Absolute Beginner Talk" forum and was deleted. I wish it was moved here instead. It was priceless. The OP was ranting about how impossible it is to Linux to exist, because you can't run a computer without Windows running "underneath".

Did you see that?

I can't find the user on the database, so I guess it was a bot. Anyway, can I quote it here?

gymophett
May 12th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I can't find the user on the database, so I guess it was a bot. Anyway, can I quote it here?

Please quote it here! I wanna read! :D

Private_Ops
May 12th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Please quote it here! I wanna read! :D

x2342io!

It sounds hilarious. It's amazing how ignorant people can be.

Dr Small
May 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
The worst the moderators could do is lock/delete this thread if they thought it was inappropriate. But, I don't see the harm.

days_of_ruin
May 12th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Post it!

Tipped OuT
May 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM
+1 For that, post it!

Kareeser
May 12th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Perhaps you can post it in Recurring Discussions? But yes indeedy, I want to see this as well.

Ericyzfr1
May 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM
That should be fun!!!

swoll1980
May 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM
The user was probably refering to Ubi or whatever it's called.

days_of_ruin
May 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
The user was probably refering to Ubi or whatever it's called.

Wubi. @OP: Post it already!!

kk0sse54
May 12th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Yes please post it and be sure to include the name so that we can embarrass that user even further :roll:. There's a lot of linux related material particularly support questions that if asked on other linux forums would get you laughed at too.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Well, while we wait, let's all enjoy this brilliant quote originally posted on the ZDnet (http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12355-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=31199&messageID=579806&start=43) site:

You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

lovinglinux
May 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Well, while we wait, let's all enjoy this brilliant quote originally posted on the ZDnet (http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12355-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=31199&messageID=579806&start=43) site:

Is the same quote. No need to quote anymore :)

I guess it was old stuff then. It's funny anyway.

Redache
May 12th, 2009, 04:11 AM

It's a Classic.

I wish we had more comments like that.

swoll1980
May 12th, 2009, 04:12 AM

"The Linux" LOL

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Is the same quote. No need to quote anymore :)

I guess it was old stuff then. It's funny anyway.

Whoops. I thought it might be similar. But not the same.

Unfortunately it isn't genuine. The chap who posted it originally was trolling. If you look at the original thread on ZDnet, you can see some of his follow-ups to people calling him wrong: they are hilarious.

cariboo
May 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM
The thread was jailed because it was an obvious troll. It was the posters first and only post so far.

Corelogik
May 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM
OMG that is F****** hillarious.

The sad part part is I had a cousin that actually used to think like that. He acknowledged that Linux and Apple existed, but they never went anywhere and were good for nothing, because Microsoft "invented" the computer OS and Windows was simply the best there was.

I disowned him shortly after for that and other more personal reasons.

This particular person may have been trolling, but there are people who believe that and think that way.

Tipped OuT
May 12th, 2009, 07:43 AM
OMG that is F****** hillarious.

The sad part part is I had a cousin that actually used to think like that. He acknowledged that Linux and Apple existed, but they never went anywhere and were good for nothing, because Microsoft "invented" the computer OS and Windows was simply the best there was.

I disowned him shortly after for that and other more personal reasons.

This particular person may have been trolling, but there are people who believe that and think that way.

I used to think that way...when I was 7 years old and had my "intelligent" thinking moments. :P

I remember I wasn't even able to comprehend, what it would be like without Windows (I used to think that the bios, and all that junk, where all apart of Windows)..it's like there would be no computers..mind boggling. :lolflag:

Chilli Bob
May 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
http://www.wikiforall.net/wiki/Jerry_Lee_Cooper

I used to think this guy was genuine when he first came out, but as time went on his rants became more and more insane, and clearly for comic effect. None the less, they are always good for a laugh. Look at the original posts, because the replies he gets are some of the funniest things on the internet.

LightB
May 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Come on guys, stupid posts like those are obvious trolling.

Eisenwinter
May 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
That's just... amazingly hilarirous :lolflag:

Vitamin-Carrot
May 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I think he makes a good proven point though

The point being hes a morron

suitedaces
May 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Try this for a clueless rant! Fact!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaXABfRTyA

Mark76
May 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I like this bit

Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

:D

Corelogik
May 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I used to think that way...when I was 7 years old and had my "intelligent" thinking moments. :P

I remember I wasn't even able to comprehend, what it would be like without Windows (I used to think that the bios, and all that junk, where all apart of Windows)..it's like there would be no computers..mind boggling. :lolflag:

A seven year old can be forgiven for thinking that way, especially if they don't have "techie" parents. My cousin was 33 when he said that to me,.. like 5 years ago.

Ericyzfr1
May 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think it was done on purpose as nobody with a right state of mind ( that may be a clue) would be that ignorant about OS's.

fatality_uk
May 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ahhh, the jerryleecooper posts pop up regularly and usually gives me a chuckle :D