PDA

View Full Version : I really messed up and need help repartitioning.

karasuman
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have the Acer Aspire One netbook which comes with Windows XP, and, naturally, I wanted to put ubuntu on it instead. First, I tried the linux4one install, but I didn't like it, so I decided that I'd rather use the ubuntu netbook remix. This is where I start having problems.

I created the bootable usb drive, chose to boot from it, etc., and the first stages of setup go fine. Then I get to the "prepare disk space" stage of setup. When I installed linux4one, I allocated 25% of my hard drive to XP and the remaining to linux4one. What setup is showing now is the following:

Windows NT/2000/XP (/dev/sda1) 5.9 GB
XP Home (/dev/sda2) 35.3 GB
Ubuntu 8.04.2 (/dev/sda5) 105.1 GB (this is linux4one)
/dev/sda6 2.9 GB

I have the following three options:
install side by side,
use the entire disc,
specify partitions manually.

I don't want to use the entire disc because I would like to keep XP. Installing side by side and dragging the bar to reallocate the space (reducing the room linux4one takes up) gives me an error:

"An error occurred while writing the changes to the storage devices. The resize operation has been aborted."

I tried to specify the partitions manually, but it says I haven't set up a root file system, so clearly I don't know what I'm doing. :-/

What I would like to do is delete everything but Windows XP, let it keep the space it has, and use the rest to install the netbook remix. Can anyone help me?

Miljet
May 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM
You were on the right track using specify partitions manually. You just need to tell the installer to use sda5 for the "/" (root) partition.

Just highlight the sda5 partition and look for an option to select /.

karasuman
May 12th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks, that did it!