PDA

View Full Version : do you think a perfect os or a pc hardware standard will ever exist?

Shpongle
May 12th, 2009, 12:23 AM
just wanted an opinion on this? its something iv thought about!

Sewje
May 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Yea its called the matrix...

chucky chuckaluck
May 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
there are a number of starry-eyed mac users who think it already does.

frup
May 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Surely that could only happen if technology was to stop moving forward. Time would have to stop.

Einsamkeit
May 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I don't think a perfect OS will ever exist, or anything "perfect" for that matter.
People have ever-evolving needs, top hardware is changing every few weeks...
Everything is in constant transformation, something perfect would require an absolute standstill to even begin to be possible.

And over that, a "perfect" OS would need to fit every individual's very subjective needs and desires, which I can hardly imagine happening.

However, I think there'll be pretty great OSes, we already have pretty good stuff with Ubuntu & other various Linux distributions. ;)

dragos240
May 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
surely that could only happen if technology was to stop moving forward. Time would have to stop.

+1

pwnst*r
May 12th, 2009, 01:57 AM
+1

^

plus, your idea of perfection is probably not the same as mine.

Shpongle
May 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
well based on the current system architecture that is von neumanns , we are limited by the speed of light in terms of processing power!, thats why we have duel / quad core processors, they will only get so fast & then what?, could linux ever think for itself! , in theory , could you ever see it happening ?

Mehall
May 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
well based on the current system architecture that is von neumanns , we are limited by the speed of light in terms of processing power!, thats why we have duel / quad core processors, they will only get so fast & then what?, could linux ever think for itself! , in theory , could you ever see it happening ?

actually, the reason for multi-core processors is that we can't make single-core ones fast enough without them overheating using traditional materials.

Try Diamond instead (http://blog.mehall.co.cc/?p=68)

stwschool
May 18th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Perfection would just be boring. How would we tweak it?

Shpongle
May 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM
actually, the reason for multi-core processors is that we can't make single-core ones fast enough without them overheating using traditional materials.

Try Diamond instead (http://blog.mehall.co.cc/?p=68)

yes but were still limited by the speed of electricity which is the speed of light!,

Mehall
May 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
yes but were still limited by the speed of electricity which is the speed of light!,

True, but changing how it works at that level changes the very basis of how it works.

That's not changing architecture or anything, that's re-envisioning how computers work at a base level.

LookTJ
May 18th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Nothing on this earth or this lifetime will ever be perfect.

nolliecrooked
May 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Nothing on this earth or this lifetime will ever be perfect.

actually you could argue that nature in its purest form, i.e. not ****** up by man is perfect.

LookTJ
May 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
actually you could argue that nature in its purest form, i.e. not ****** up by man is perfect.
that's true :)

Tipped OuT
May 18th, 2009, 02:13 AM
actually you could argue that nature in its purest form, i.e. Not ****** up by man is perfect.

+1 :)

lisati
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM

From what little I've read, Harvard Architecture and similar can in some situations help speed things up. As long as the instruction cache and the data cache share the same bus for accessing "real" memory, there will be limits to how quickly the processor can do its stuff.