PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for opinions....

JK3mp
May 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hey ev1 not related to anything linux really, and not sure if i put this in the appropriate section etc, so sorry if i did and you can feel free to delete it or move it (admins of course) if i did. Just looking for some opinions on things to possibly change or things you like about my new website. Its a personal portfolio website that i just recently built to help promote my freelance services, and i just wanted some opinions so i know it looks all good, cause grant it, if YOUR site doesn't look good, what can your customer expect you to make there's look like. Any opinions/idea's are welcomed, Thanx in advance.

The website is http://jkempdesigns.elementfx.com.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Biography from elementfx.com:
Experience: Python, Perl, Minor C++, PHP, xHTML/DHTML, CSS,minor ASP.net, Photoshop PRO, Flash GFX

It's taken me about three years to get to grips with Bash and Python, and I'm already 2374274 years older than you! What hope do I have?

EDIT: it seems your site is down now. :o What I did see of it looked very nice, though.

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It's taken me about three years to get to grips with Bash and Python, and I'm already 2374274 years older than you! What hope do I have?

EDIT: it seems your site is down now. :o What I did see of it looked very nice, though.

Yeah its on a very sucky host, it's back up now, has its moments a few times a day i noticed, im switching to a paid host in the next few day's, also have a REAL domain registered too before i start to pass it out and advertise etc.

EDIT: lol, noticed your comment, i've been doing Python pretty persistent and adapted it to Perl quickly, lately i've been into C++ alot for class im in my 2nd class for it in school, and knew a bit b4 i went in(still not hot in it though, lol ) PHP and HTML/CSS is where i started really. Once you adapt languages to others its not really that hard to be persistant in all of them. (C++ was a mix up for me though :-P , hated it at first.)

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Sorry, also note the Portfolio is down, im adding some new things and throwing together a new AJAX script to manage it. (Was using flash but linux doesn't handle it that well so i quit with it) The login is down to, trying to make some changes with it, and the control panel permissions im having some trouble with...(btw anyone any good with that type stuff and feeling helpful feel free to hollar)

.Maleficus.
May 12th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Overall the site looks pretty nice, but if you're serious about making money from it there are a few things you need to change.

1. Spelling/grammar. You have things like "Proffesional", "your" instead of "you're", etc.
2. You're using ! and !! way too frequently. Once in a while is ok, but it's there quite a bit.
3. Nit-picky things like the "|" character in your top buttons. Since the buttons are clearly defined, I don't think it needs to end the word, but that's up to you.

Like I said, overall it's a good start but I'd fix the few other things first before going "live" with it.

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks Maleficus! LoL, i do notice i use "!!'s" to much, i'll trim down. And grammar is not my strong suit, i'll be sure to take your advice and change it up.

juancarlospaco
May 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Don't display properly on Netbooks, fix it, or make an alternate clone site.

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah thats an issue i already noticed and am working on at this very moment. :P . I'll let you know when i've worked it out.

.Maleficus.
May 12th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'm back with more nit-picking :p. This was just something that was weird to me, probably an easy fix in the CSS somewhere. The space between the words and the corresponding boxes isn't consistent, like in the screenshot.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7290/websiteo.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=websiteo.jpg)

LesterPalooza
May 12th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Users want to see everthing generally speaking on the first 5 seconds they view your site. Maybe 3 sample portfolios on top of the page, a catch phrase and a logo probably, and your main services.

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'm back with more nit-picking :p. This was just something that was weird to me, probably an easy fix in the CSS somewhere. The space between the words and the corresponding boxes isn't consistent, like in the screenshot.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7290/websiteo.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=websiteo.jpg)

Yeah lol, actually there implemented as part of the box image, so that people don't have to have that font to view them that way. :-p . Easily fixable though, i was just lazy with em. And Lester, im workin on a Ajax script for portfolio and will probably implement a bit of it into the first page, possibly putting like a scroll through(only nicer) gallery of my work on there, then in portfolio page, a more standard gallery with a bit more info as far as skills required, adjustments done, web address etc. But thanks, im def pushin for it to be alot better once i get the AJAX script up, im just a little rusty with Javascript so takin me alittle time, im also lookin at other peoples script, but wanna make it a little unique.

tkelito
May 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I can tell you are a programmer because you are definitely lacking sentence structure, grammar, and some spelling. This is by no means an attack, but if you want people to take you seriously you need to correct this. I was able to take a solid guess at your age just by reading your welcome paragraph.

Consider everything you put on a website like this way, would this be something I would send to the VP of a company, my boss's boss's boss via email? If you are content with it than great, if not, go back to the drawing board and rewrite.

I work in a corporate environment, I have for years, nothing bothers me more than educated people who are smart in their field lacking at something as simple as writing a basic paragraph. Based on that initial welcome paragraph I would not hire you, I would rethink the choice of words and get to the point.

Example: Proficient should probably be efficient.

Proficient means you are competent at completing a task, efficient means you can do a task in a timely manner.

My word of advice, KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Good luck, I wish I could comment more on the site programming but that is not my specialty.

-tkelito

JK3mp
May 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks tkelito for the advice. I'll be sure to change the proficient to effecient thing. (definately more appropriate for what i meant), also i noticed, and nobody said anything i messed up on one of the words, designer is written as desgner. Definately gonna fix that too, i'll take a look into a diffrent choice of words for the opening, but i kinda want it to introduce me, allow them to know i don't fear saying who i am and that i have confidence in what i do no matter who i am and my age etc. But i do notice a few things that can be worded diffrent and i'll for sure work on it.

LightB
May 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Needs way more animated gifs.

Sinkingships7
May 12th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Needs way more animated gifs.

And the users need a chance to be the millionth visitor on your website and win a car, or they just won't feel like it's worth it to go there at all.

LightB
May 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
And the users need a chance to be the millionth visitor on your website and win a car, or they just won't feel like it's worth it to go there at all.

Depends on the car.

JK3mp
May 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Depends on the car.

Im gonna mark the top 3 as sarcasm ;)

BuffaloX
May 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
You are using too many fonts (at least 5) for this simple layout. Too many fonts looks messy.
Spaces between buttons are uneven.
The vertical lines to the right of every button text look like leftovers from a simpler menu.
Button mouse-over effect skips the top of button which looks buggy.
Just doing an upside down of the button tonal effect doesn't cut it today.
The page does not respond well to resizing.
The text in the gray boxes need a little more space at the top.
Box headers are aligned differently.
The different page elements are not well aligned.
There is a general lack of symmetry, which gets worse depending on page-width.

BUT the basic design idea is good, and you are welcome to bash my site too. :smile: