PDA

View Full Version : classic case of arrogant ubuntu/open source developers.

subscrive
January 11th, 2006, 05:31 AM
http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18789

subscrive
January 11th, 2006, 05:32 AM

encompass
January 11th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I am sorry, but you will have to be more descriptive, I am not user what you mean...

aysiu
January 11th, 2006, 06:02 AM
It actually looks to me like a case of arrogant end-user, not arrogant developer.
Good try, though.

byen
January 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM
It actually looks to me like a case of arrogant end-user, not arrogant developer.
Good try, though.
Same impressions here...!

leech
January 11th, 2006, 06:10 AM
No, it's a classic case of user arrogance. This DOES work in Nautilus, I tried it myself yesterday. Righ clicked on an ISO, selected write to CD, and it popped up a dialog asking if I wanted to erase the CD before I started to write to the disk.

There's also the possibility that Nero in windows screwed the disk itself up, causing problems in Linux. The other possibility is that the drive itself is failing. You may say that it works fine in Windows, but Linux does things a bit differently, so sometimes a failing drive will appear to work fine in Windows but not in Linux, and it can also be the other way around. (A good example of this, a friend of mine was complaining that her computer was really slow. I came to find out (after installing linux on her PC) that her hard drive was dying. Linux was constantly reporting I/O errors. Windows worked, but it was god awful slow. (I'm not exagerating when I say that it took 10 minutes for the right click menu to come up on the desktop.)

I have Nerolinux running as well, and oddly enough I couldn't get it to blank the CD-RW that I was trying to copy a ISO onto, yet Nautilus did it just fine.

Leech

eddiewalker
January 11th, 2006, 06:11 AM
If you're AG, I think you're the one being unreasonable, not those trying their best to get the most information possible so that they can accurately solve your problem.

Oh yea, they're working for free.

threethirty
January 11th, 2006, 06:12 AM
if you hate ubuntu/open source developers then why are you using open source software?

leech
January 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I was trying to be nice as possible in my post... :D

I agree, if that's AG, he/she should be beat with a rather large fish.

Leech

Krigl
January 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Ugh! When I imagine THIS is probably allowed to walk without a leash...
This forum is meant to be polite but this calls for something like "Delete yourself and die!".
Poor guys at bugzilla if this happens to them often.

southernman
January 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM
For what it's worth AG... (not that you'll listen or be able to comprehend it) if you don't have the time to provide "volunteers" with the info they ask for, you shouldn't expect them to jump through hoops for you.

"Deal With Reality or Reality Will Deal With You"

Leech - you spelt ignorance wrong. ;)

Buffalo Soldier
January 11th, 2006, 06:39 AM
It works fine here too. I guess the title of the post should be "a classic case of an ignorrant, arrogant and oblivious user". Sorry for the harsh words... it just fries my nerve when I saw how rude he was to the developer.

Just added: From the movie Jerry Maguire "Help me... help you. Help me, help you."

leech
January 11th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Well, I could have used either, he was arrogant enough to think that magically developers should just whip up a patch to a problem that doesn't exist. You're right though, it probably should be ignorance, considering Nautilus does ask if you want to erase the disk. Not sure about K3B, since it's been a long time since I've used it.

The people who responded to the bug didn't even give the sometimes typical "Why don't you code it yourself" attitude, they were being genuinely helpful, and yet AG freaked out and basically said "I don't have time to help you with helping me." True idiocy.

I really try hard not to tell people to go back to windows... but sometimes they just deserve it :D

Leech

leech
January 11th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I agree, Buffalo Soldier.

Smelt like troll bait when I first read it, even more so it smells like troll bait since the developers even pointed out that there isn't a problem.

Leech

neoflight
January 11th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Please try to calm down. You're not in the position to tell people what to work on. We kindly asked for missing information. You can imagine that the problem can be due to different hardware, or other factors, so please be patient.

Please type lshal > lshal.txt in the terminal and attach the lshal.txt
file you find to this bug..

well....he was trying his best to help this person...frustration can be there...but its good to remmeber that these people are spending there time off the work to develop a nice and good platform so that the probelms are little in the near future. instead of being angry you would have politely asked for how to do what he requested to do...

thas what i feel...

good luck in solving ur problem..

f1dave
January 11th, 2006, 07:36 AM
What absolute rubbish. I deal with people like this at my helpdesk job everyday, and I hardly expect to see it here. The developers are simply trying to help you, and you refuse to follow their instructions. How can you possibly blame /them/?

Thirsteh
January 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Quit the whining, Subscrive.

marks_linux
January 11th, 2006, 07:57 AM
What bothers me is all the time wasted on a user who won't help them to help him/her. Surely open source isn't about 'I've broke this, and fixing its your'e problem and I'll be damned if I'll help. Ps Please let me know when you've fixed it'

subscrive
January 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Point no 1: You all blind men, read the below from my bug description -->

i have some rewritable cds which i have used on windows using nero software.
i erased the cd.

now from ubuntu i try to burn the cds.

Try the exact steps before complaining

Point no 2: A s/w just doesnt consists of development. Better get that fact clear
If that person is doing development for free, then let me tell you that even I am doing a QA/testing for free! Ubuntu doesnt pay me a dime to file the bugs, ok?!

subscrive
January 11th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The people who responded to the bug didn't even give the sometimes typical "Why don't you code it yourself" attitude, they were being genuinely helpful, and yet AG freaked out and basically said "I don't have time to help you with helping me." True idiocy.

For a "why dont you code" attitude, the response would be "why dont you find bugs?" answer.

If developers are important, so are testers.

nocturn
January 11th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I'm very sorry to say this, but your attitude in the bug report is a serious problem.

You would have been very impolite if this was a commercial support team you were dealing with, but to add to it, these guys are helping you for free.

These guys ask you for hardware information because they cannot guess the info about your drive (even a firmware difference can be significant) and burning probably works fine on most drive they did test with (it works fine on mine).

Again, you get this great help all for free and you still complain?

byen
January 11th, 2006, 09:43 AM
EDIT:nevermind. I see the threads are merged

nocturn
January 11th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I have merged the two threads together to start with.

EDIT - also moved to Community Chat

byen
January 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
subscrive... you might want to read this :Code of Conduct (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct)

Ok.. I understand that you might be frustated but blaming the whole open source development community? and where do you see "arrogance" in the given link? he was only trying to get as much information as possible... Isnt that the standard procedure?

Anyways. Goodluck.

cblanquer
January 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
As of my job, I am part of the outsourcing team for a European bank.
Our IT infrastructure is outsourced to IBM and when a problem arises of course they ask the end user to obtian any valuable information in order to track and fix the bug efficiently.
Sometimes enduser sdo not like ot use time to have their own problems solved, then the problems do not get solved.

Ubuntu support is pretty correct from a professional point of view and as some already wrote, end users get this for free.
CONCLUSION:
The rationale to initiate the thread is absolutely not logic, rather chat further to support friends to actually understand how such service works on a daily basis.
CONCLUSION2:
Read Ubuntu behaviour code and think a little about it, might you disagree with it. But overall take things with good humor ! :)

nocturn
January 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Just a question to the OP, instead of attacking the devs and writing two threads on this topic, wouldn't it have been easier to just post the requested info?

Maybe you would have been writing CD/DVD's by now...

endersshadow
January 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Point no 1: You all blind men, read the below from my bug description -->

Try the exact steps before bitching.

Point no 2: A s/w just doesnt consists of development. Better get that fact clear and shove it in your thick skull. If that person is doing development for free, then let me tell you that even I am doing a QA/testing for free! Ubuntu doesnt pay me a dime to file the bugs, ok?!

Sebastian was kind enough to let you know that they had tried it on their systems here (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18789#c12). Of course, you've got your panties in a wad because they asked you to run one command so that they could see what the problem is. They don't have all the hardware in the world available to them.

You've provided them with nothing but, "I tried this and it didn't work." They need error messages, logs, and hardware that you have running on your system. It may be a case of user error, too.

Get a grip, pal. It's a two-way street. Bug testers are needed, but you have to be willing to work with the developers. They can't see over your shoulder. As Sebastian said, if were an easily reproducable problem, they wouldn't ask you for more information. However, it's obviously not. So, you need to give more information for them to fix this bug.

The developers have been nothing but polite and stated explicitly what they needed to isolate and fix the bug. You've been uncooperative and caustic throughout the entire process. They're doing all they can to help you solve this issue, and you're being a jerk about it. Give it up, man. You've gotta be able to play well with others.

nkhansen
January 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I am actually pretty scared to see a thread and bug-report like this. I always had the feel about the Ubuntu Community, that EVERYONE was helpful and friendly (relatively speaking). I can understand that AG is frustrated with K3b/nautilus for not burning his CDs, but I don't think that he understands that this is a very specific bug, concerned with his use of it. Maybe he should file the bug with Nero. For all he knows, Nero could be making some kind of weird formatting on the disc.

My advice to AG: Go talk to Nero. At least you have at some point given them money to help you.

BoyOfDestiny
January 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
If you live in the U.S, this might be worth a read. ;)

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

Viro
January 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM
So let me get this straight. You have a problem burning CDs. Others say they do not have that problem, and you get angry and say that it exists, and anyone else who says they do not have that problem is lying or hasn't done the exact steps you took.

Did it occur to you that this problem could be specific to your _particular_ config? Is it so hard to just provide the output of lshal? It takes all of 10 seconds to fire up the terminal, and type lshal > lshal.txt. Actually, it takes 4 if you're quick with the mouse and keyboard.

I know you feel you have provided the information on the kde bugs list, but have you seen the output of lshal? On my system it provides 49kb of data about my configuration. That's 18 A4 sheets of paper filled with text. Far more information than you could ever be bothered to give, and it's available with just one command. One command!

And then here you come, complaining about arrogant developers who do not wish to help you? Please. Please. Please. Provide the output of lshal and then if the developers tell you to **** off, only then, come back here and complain about arrogant developers.

prizrak
January 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I think this thread should be locked.
OP, you are lucky I'm not on the dev team, your attitude of "Do the steps don't bother me" would cause me to close the bug and tell you to use a Mac. It was pointed out to you that they don't have your hardware ergo cannot do an exact replica of the bug.

Buffalo Soldier
January 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Try the exact steps before complainingTry reading what these people here have wrote before complaining. People have tried and found no problem.

If developers are important, so are testers.Testers are important. But a tester would have provided the proper error message or output (read: lshal). Someone who just complains and whines is not a tester, but just a complainer and a whiner.

The energy to just copy and paste the lshal to a text file is I guess 1% of the energy that I see you use in here to whine and complain.

DiscoKiller
January 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I really try hard not to tell people to go back to windows... but sometimes they just deserve it :D

Leech

Baaaaahahahahahaha, genius!

awakatanka
January 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Good try, though.
Backyard stuff.

I agree, it looks more that he is the arrogant end-user. Damn they try to help him and he is being a smart ass that knows better.

OP is a smart ass that thinks he knows it better then a developer our a distro maker.

nocturn
January 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm locking this thread because it is turning into a namecalling session and most arguments seem to already have been brought up.

poofyhairguy
January 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Leech

Play Nice.

:p