PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox works, but updates don't

hairyhippy
May 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi, I'm new here and a beginner with Ubuntu so please be gentle. I'm setting up Ubuntu studio to run through my university network on an old ish pc. I have set the network proxy cofiguration for firefox and it works fine, but I can't get the update manager or the synaptic package manager to work. Could anyone help me please?

Pete

emacbri
May 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I don't understand, are you talking about the Firefox update manager or Ubuntu's???

drs305
May 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
If you are talking about update-manager, run this in a terminal (ALT-F2) and tell us what error messages you get:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Of course, with Jaunty automatic updates aren't made on a daily basis except for security ones.

hairyhippy
May 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Firefox can connect to the internet (ie the internet connection is working) but Ubuntu's update manager (or synaptic package manger for that matter) will not connect to check for updates.

hairyhippy
May 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM
If you are talking about update-manager, run this in a terminal (ALT-F2) and tell us what error messages you get:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Of course, with Jaunty automatic updates aren't made on a daily basis except for security ones.

I get this lot.

drs305
May 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
In either Software Sources or Synaptic: Settings, Preferences, Network tab. Is it set to connect directly to the internet?
Have you tried another repository (Settings, Repositories, Other)?
You are using Hardy, correct?

hairyhippy
May 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
In either Software Sources or Synaptic: Settings, Preferences, Network tab. Is it set to connect directly to the internet?
Have you tried another repository (Settings, Repositories, Other)?
You are using Hardy, correct?

I have tried setting the synaptic package manager to connect directly to the internet and tried to manually configure the proxy with the proxy set the same as the setting I used for the proxy in firefox.

I'm using Ubuntu studio and I don't seem to have a Settings, repositories, other.

gjoellee
May 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
404 means that the "URL" (website address) does not exist. Try changing repositories. That can be done in "Software Sources" which you can find in the System menu.

emacbri
May 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I don't know much about Ubuntu Studio but i'll take a whack at it any way. Try opening the "Software Sources" Control Panel (assuming that Ubuntu Studio uses Gnome). Under the Updates tag make sure that the at least "Important Security Updates" and "Reccomended Updates" are both checked. Oh, and try disableing the proxy, that may do the trick (Unless the proxy is required by your school). Good Luck!!!:)

lisati
May 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I don't know much about Ubuntu Studio but i'll take a whack at it any way. Try opening the "Software Sources" Control Panel (assuming that Ubuntu Studio uses Gnome). Under the Updates tag make sure that the at least "Important Security Updates" and "Reccomended Updates" are both checked. Oh, and try disableing the proxy, that may do the trick (Unless the proxy is required by your school). Good Luck!!!:)

I can confirm that on Ubuntu Studio the relevant option to select software sources is on the System->Administration->Software Sources menu item.

BTW I was getting error messages from Update Manager on U.S. 9.04 & "regular" ubuntu 64-bit earlier today, maybe there's a server or two down at the moment.

hairyhippy
May 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
-

I've tried that with no joy :( Should the proxy in Settings / network proxy be set the same as the proxy is set in firefox?

emacbri
May 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Yes, try that if you haven't allready. And thank you for putting up with me, I have a hard time following these threads

hairyhippy
May 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
:( I can't think what to try next.