PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound problems in Jaunty upgrade

Jamesss
May 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Since upgrading to Jaunty, I've been having problems with sound. Everything was fine in Intrepid, but now Amarok, VLC, Mplayer, Totem all exhibit the same behaviour - glitchy playback of sound. Sometimes it's choppy, sometimes it skips through a track like a CD on fast forward, sometimes it stops for a few seconds. The only change I've made is to uninstall Amarok 2.0.2 (default version for Jaunty) and reinstall Amarok 1.4.

Can anyone help with this?

FeraTech
June 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have installed Jaunty on 15 different computers and every single one had problems with the sound. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with Pulse Audio but it is a mess.

I still have yet to get audio fully functional on any one of those machines. There is always something not working fully.

roberthr
June 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
The sound system in Jaunty is totaly useless. I installed Jaunty on 5 machines, 4 of them has severe sound problems, mentioned in above post. So what does Jaunty's sound system do to me (comparing to Intrepid where it worked almost prefect):

Can't listen music. Players skip tracks, suddenly stop playing or bring the whole system down with bunch of kernel panic or pulseaudio errors - yes, I've made several bug reports.
Can't watch movies. Usually in the middle sound stops working.
Computer starts with audio muted - strangely not always.
Worse of all, a simple command to restart pulseaudio does not help. I have to reboot for sound to work again, geez, feels like I'm back to Windows :-(

I would rather go back to Intrepid, but I really like EXT4.

I really hope Koala will be better tested and won't have such basic operation problems that keeps people away from using Ubuntu. I had to delay more Ubuntu installation just because of those things. It's just not stable enough!

agrippas
June 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I have exactly the same problem with the sound. My system is a pain to use because of that. Is there any known fix?

andypearce
June 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Sound!!!! I have been trying to sort it for months.... welcome tune goes wild or does not play then a weird clicking noise starts and no multimedia will play. One out of six start ups is normal.
Frustrated.... but I am getting help with this if you can get my latest posts... I don't know if you can do that?! I am a bit rubbish at this!