PDA

View Full Version : Trouble booting Ubuntu 9.04

aliencure
May 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
:confused: Hello everyone! I had to reinstall Windows on my computer. Before then I was running Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows. After reinstalling Windows the box prompting OS selection (Ubuntu or Windows) disappeared. I know which drive Ubuntu is on and I tried booting from that drive but it just takes me back to Windows. Please help me get back to Ubuntu if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

P.S. Love Ubuntu 9.04 by the way. Thank you maxolazersquad for telling me about Ubuntu.

itnet7
May 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Aliencure,

First off welcome aboard! Maxo is a great guy, I am glad he introduced you to Ubuntu. Please the Official Community Documentation found here! (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows)

Read Carefully and this should easily help you restore your Grub!!!

When you straighten it if you get a chance hope over to this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388359) and Let us know a litte more about you!

Hopefully talk with you soon,

Chris C.
ITnet7

mlsquad
May 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Is that you Derrick? You had installed Ubuntu with Wubi, so it sat within your Windows partition. If you reinstalled Windows then you may have wiped your Ubuntu install in the process.
Since you like Ubuntu and are in a sort of state of flux with your OS installs, and need Windows, you may be best served by partitioning and having Ubuntu installed on one partition and Windows on another.
Since you already have Windows installed, download and burn an Ubuntu CD and then reboot with it in your drive. The installer will walk you through repartitioning your drive so that you can preserve your Windows side and build a new Ubuntu side.
With this setup you can reinstall Windows as much as you wish and preserve Ubuntu.

aliencure
May 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
):P Yes mlsquad it is I, Derek. Thank you both for your replies. I got it working with the reply from itnet7. I also went to the introduce yourself thread and posted something. ):P

itnet7
May 14th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Nice, I'm Glad it worked for you!!!

Thanks for your reply,

Chris C.
itnet7 #ubuntu-us-fl