PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntuone Impressions thread

artir
May 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ubuntuone is out, go get yours XD ( http://ubuntuone.com )

Right now it supports syncing, and offering shares to other people. It's not perfect yet, but it works.

It comes in two plans: Free(2GB) and Paid(10GB, 10 $)

Warpnow
May 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Gnome and Nautilus integrate seamlessly with servers...so why is something like this needed?

Just get an FTP account...anywhere, and add it it your server list in nautilus...

Edit: and for $10/month you should get alot more than 10gbs of space.

Deamos
May 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Its a nice idea, however what does it have to offer over products such as Dropbox, which is OS independent.

MaxIBoy
May 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Just run a home server and get DYN-DNS. If you know where to look, you can get a suitable old computer for free. DYN-DNS is free too.

Swarms
May 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Just run a home server and get DYN-DNS. If you know where to look, you can get a suitable old computer for free. DYN-DNS is free too.

Uhm, the whole idea of products like Dropbox it it requires zero effort.

Deamos
May 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Don't think this is the same thing. Cloud syncing services allow for hands free multi-computer syncing of specific folders. This allows a copy to be located on all computers and update at the same time without hassle.

I use Dropbox and it is an essential piece of software for someone who owns a desktop + laptop and need the same documentation on each.

Edit: Looks like Swarms beat me to the punch.

MaxIBoy
May 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Uhm, the whole idea of products like Dropbox it it requires zero effort.I'll concede that. However, I very much like the fact that I have 80 gigs of storage on my server and could easily add more. I like the fact that I have my own data on my own computer where I can keep an eye on it. Finally, the server was really easy to set up, took me probably only three times as long as the amount of time it takes to get a Dropbox account. And you can always run rsync with cron.

JohnFH
May 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The cost is not the only downside to using schemes like this. You also need to consider security, internet speed, and reliability, all of which are not to be taken lightly.

Besides, Ubuntuone is by invitation only at the moment.

BackwardsDown
May 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Does anyone have a invite for me to help beta test? That would be really cool:) (niels.egberts@gmail.com)

days_of_ruin
May 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Its a nice idea, however what does it have to offer over products such as Dropbox, which is OS independent.

Competition? Better integration? And it is still beta so I wouldn't be suprised if they made it os independent. But you really don't have to
choose. Just use both.
But for payment plans UbuntuOne is way to expensive. Dropbox has 50 gb storage for $10 a month or $100 a year, and UO is $10 a month for 10 gb

HavocXphere
May 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Looks interesting. Will check it out. Currently I'm using dropbox which is also working fine.

jsgotangco
May 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
No "wow" factor at the moment, but let's see how it evolves.

Dragonbite
May 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It's a great start, and is a plus to using Ubuntu without forcing it into Ubuntu itself.

The advantage of this over a home-grown server is
Accessible anywhere without having to set up DYN-DNS or VPN tunnels, etc. at home
Probably redundant data storage so if one server goes down your data isn't all lost, unlike at home

Doesn't Apple have something similar to this? Also, I think Google was doing their Gdrive thing but that was a Windows-only client.

I am suspecting we'll see just about everybody getting involved in cloud computing getting their hands in this somehow, even if just to integrate with Dropbox or equivalents. Canonical is just doing that for you now.

Oh, and how well will this work with official derivatives (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu and Ubuntu Studio) as well as spin-offs (Mint, etc.) or non-gui (Ubuntu Server) systems?

If it integrates right, then having it as a backup location for Ubuntu Studio could be a cool addition (and for security minded, could tar/compress and encrypt the backup before passing it up)

Either way, I think Dell was selling the Mini 9 with a free Dropbox account, so they'll probably start offering an UbuntuOne account with whatever installed pretty soon.

The key is, do you trust Canonical? Google is sketchy at times, and Microsoft can be questionable and Apple is.. well, um Apple.

Wiebelhaus
May 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Competition? Better integration? And it is still beta so I wouldn't be suprised if they made it os independent. But you really don't have to
choose. Just use both.
But for payment plans UbuntuOne is way to expensive. Dropbox has 50 gb storage for $10 a month or $100 a year, and UO is $10 a month for 10 gb

Dropbox works so incredibly well I don't see why anyone would want to compete with it , honestly.

Orlsend
May 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
The Irony is that Dropbox supports more versions of Ubuntu, from 7.10 to 9.04. far more versions than UbuntuOne which is made by Canonical which is the main maintainer of Ubuntu. XD

Also Dropbox offers Mac and Windows support (Along with other Linux distros).

Does UbuntuOne offer referral bonuses like Dropbox?

irv
May 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Gnome and Nautilus integrate seamlessly with servers...so why is something like this needed?

Just get an FTP account...anywhere, and add it it your server list in nautilus...

Edit: and for $10/month you should get alot more than 10gbs of space.

I agree with your post: I am already setup to do exactly this: see screen shot.

bruno9779
May 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Has anyone actually used it?

fatality_uk
May 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Not yet, will do at about 8pm tonight!

jsmidt
May 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
This is a great idea. In the future Ubuntu One will integrate seamlessly with all your apps and offer services you don't get with Dropbox.

Second, this should be a major source of revenue for Canonical => More developers to hire => More Ubuntu goodness produced.

Every Ubuntu user is going to benefit from this.

artir
May 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
1 thing that is true is that 10$ per 10 gb is not a good prize, but U1 will not be the same as dropbox; it'll be more like a mobile me, but open, and with custom applications, kinda EC2 mixed with mobile me.

Dragonbite
May 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
1 thing that is true is that 10$ per 10 gb is not a good prize, but U1 will not be the same as dropbox; it'll be more like a mobile me, but open, and with custom applications, kinda EC2 mixed with mobile me.

That may also be a price that comes down as it gets adopted too.

Either way, I wouldn't mind paying it if I'm going to use it, plus it helps Canonical/Ubuntu financially to boot so it really is a win-win!

andrewsomething
May 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Here's a couple screen shots for the curious.

As to why any one would use this over dropbox, my impression is that this is just the first part of a slow roll out of features.

See: http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/8843