PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Licensing. What to consider?

WinterWeaver
May 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I have written a django application for adding streaming video to small websites.

Now, I want to make it freely available under a open source license and give everyone the chance to use it and contribute to it. Unfortunately I do not have much experience or knowledge on this, and I noticed that there are many out there to choose from, hence this thread.

Let me explain what I want the licence to provide.

Firstly, I want people to be able to freely distribute the app.

Secondly, and there may be some discussion on this matter, I cannot decide whether I want a licence that forces people to make definitive works open source/free. I dont like the idea of forcing them. In other words, if some company makes a derivative work, they should be free to decide if they want to close the source, or make it available again. What do you guys think?

Thirdly, because the applicaiton is a Django application, how would I know if the licence of my choice will be compatible with django's (or python even) licensing model?

I would be greatfull for any input :)

Thanks,

WW

fatality_uk
May 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Goo bedtime reading
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

WinterWeaver
May 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
hmm... I think I'll stick with the BSD Licence for this one. Django uses it, and from what I could make out, it's perfectly suited for my use case.

WinterWeaver
May 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Am I supposed to put the Licence into the top of every python script, Just the package __init__.py, or in the folder as a text file?

mister_pink
May 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Different projects use different standards. Some are quite picky. The usual thing is to have a file called "COPYING" with the licence in it, and copyright notices in all the scripts, maybe saying which licence is used and to see the "COPYING" file for more details.

WinterWeaver
May 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I'll do it that way then, :)