View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change Nautilus icons for specific files

May 11th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hello all,

I have Office 2007 running in Wine. The Gnome menu shows the Office 2007 applications under "Applications -> Wine -> Programs -> Office 2007". I want those Icons, the official Office 2007 icons, also in Nautilus for .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, etc. files. I figured out how to change the Icon of a single file in Nautilus (right mouse -> properties), but how can I change the Icons for all Word Document files, Excel Document files, etc.?

I am running Ubuntu 8.10.

May 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
If you have a custom desktop theme installed, check if it has created a .icons folder in your home folder by enabling Show Hidden Files (CTRL-H). If it has then:

Go to ~/.icons/"custom theme"/scalable/mimetypes and select an icon that corresponds with your application. Right click. select Properties and you can replace the icon with one of your choice.

If you wish to preserve the existing icon, then rename it by appending .old to the very end of the filename, copy and paste your icon into the folder and rename it with the existing icon's original filename.

If you do not have a .icons folder in your home folder, then go to /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/mimetypes and follow the same procedure there.

And that hopefully should work. Sorry if the explanation is a bit long winded

May 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
That worked great :D

Thanks for your help.

May 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Just an update, I've found this -

- which features a bit more info

May 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I noticed yesterday that if I change the icon size in Nautilus my own placed icons remain the same size. When I placed the icon file in all the "SizexSize" folders I figured out this would happen, but I am okay with that.

Thanks for the more information.