PDA

View Full Version : A challenge! Who has the geekiest desktop?

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, a challenge. Who here among us has the geekiest desktop? Here's a run-down of preliminary requirements:

You need a window manager that eschews desktop icons to truly be worthy of geekdom.
You need to have at least two terminal windows filled with obfuscated code (preferably Perl) in the background at ALL TIMES. The output of "ls" in your home directory just doesn't cut it.
A terminal embedded into the desktop. It must only ever be used for IRC. Ever.
You need a dark theme. Preferably with a hint of green. The window borders should also be as tiny as possible.
You need something cool like a picture of cosmic explosions for the background, or some sort of planetary collision or something. A highly stylised image of your motherboard will also be acceptable.
A Conky set up detailing the ins and outs of the very soul of your computer, and your current listening sensation.
Not a requirement, per se, but your desktop really should span multiple monitors to truly be awesome.

Unfortunately, I cannot enter this competition as I use the Gnome Desktop. Still, prizes will be given to the winners. Who will take my challenge?

MaxIBoy
May 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
A few months ago, my desktop used to look like this:

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Not bad, but it's lacking in quite a few key departments. I love the background though.

ibuclaw
May 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
There is a flaw in your challenge, what you quantify as "geeky" may not necessarily be true...

I, myself, prefer to keep it simple, yet sleek. Run my own kernel with Pre-Emptive and Realtime patches so I can optimise particular devices for low-latency/speed (not to forget lots of power saving too ;)).

LightB
May 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I have the coolest, jock, pimp desktop. :)

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
There is a flaw in your challenge, what you quantify as "geeky" may not necessarily be true...

I, myself, prefer to keep it simple, yet sleek. Run my own kernel with Pre-Emptive and Realtime patches so I can optimise particular devices for low-latency/speed (not to forget lots of power saving too ;)).

I like the use of C and the semi-transparent terminals. The terminals could do without the toolbars, though. You certainly would win some sort of prize for kernel hacking; but not in this thread!

MaxIBoy
May 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
This is a more-current screenshot. Got rid of the desktop terminal (never used it anyway, and it was annoying.) My new conky setup actually represents just as much information as my old one, but it takes up way less space. Also, I pulled up a couple of my programming projects (one in GNU sed, one in ANSI C.) Emacs for the win!

I usually use a custom compile of kernel 2.6.30-rc4 but screenshots get all messed up whenever I use it. Hence the low uptime.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have a keyboard shortcut (ctrl-alt-t) to launch the terminal. Surely this counts for something?

alexandari
May 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Smaller conky and more terminal windows > all!

Barrucadu
May 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
You need a window manager that eschews desktop icons to truly be worthy of geekdom.
You need to have at least two terminal windows filled with obfuscated code (preferably Perl) in the background at ALL TIMES. The output of "ls" in your home directory just doesn't cut it.
A terminal embedded into the desktop. It must only ever be used for IRC. Ever.
You need a dark theme. Preferably with a hint of green. The window borders should also be as tiny as possible.
You need something cool like a picture of cosmic explosions for the background, or some sort of planetary collision or something. A highly stylised image of your motherboard will also be acceptable.
A Conky set up detailing the ins and outs of the very soul of your computer, and your current listening sensation.
Not a requirement, per se, but your desktop really should span multiple monitors to truly be awesome.

2 - I use a tiling window manager so I have no 'background' as such, only things not currently displayed.
3 - My desktop is permamently covered, so I can't do that.
4 - No window borders, tiling wm.
6 - See 3.

Your definition of a geeky desktop is flawed :P

chucky chuckaluck
May 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
http://omploader.org/vMW50Zw

adrianx
May 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
How is this for geeky? For a whole year, I stuck to the default theme (wallpaper included) on one of my desktops. :shock:

hessiess
May 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Tiling WM (customised DWM)
Conky runs on the ``desktop''.
Use LaTeX for anything requiring typesetting.
Use the CLI a lot(Its just superior to a GUI)
Vim user.
Avoid the mouse like the plague;)
Most stuff is mapped to keyboard shortcuts.

RATM_Owns
May 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Mine's not geeky.

The wallpaper is heavy metal. :P

Name change
May 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
If anyone uses ratpoison that person would win in my eyes.
But only if there is some one who uses only CLI and nothing else.

But if anyone can explain what exactly ed does that one is a god of all geeks :D

Oh and I won't participate as I use KDE and I use it as a "normal" user not even trying to get it geeky.

baseface
May 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
i dont use ratpoison. i use stumpwm. google that.

MaxIBoy
May 12th, 2009, 02:17 AM
i dont use ratpoison. i use stumpwm. google that.I just found a youtube video of it, it looks amazing!

chellrose
May 12th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot enter this competition as I use the Gnome Desktop. Still, prizes will be given to the winners. Who will take my challenge?

Hey now, what's wrong with Gnome? :)

I have my own, ah, unique brand of "geeky". So I wouldn't qualify. Interesting idea, though! :D

hrod beraht
July 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
i put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, a challenge. Who here among us has the geekiest desktop? Here's a run-down of preliminary requirements:

you need a window manager that eschews desktop icons to truly be worthy of geekdom.
you need to have at least two terminal windows filled with obfuscated code (preferably perl) in the background at all times. The output of "ls" in your home directory just doesn't cut it.
a terminal embedded into the desktop. It must only ever be used for irc. Ever.
you need a dark theme. Preferably with a hint of green. The window borders should also be as tiny as possible.
you need something cool like a picture of cosmic explosions for the background, or some sort of planetary collision or something. A highly stylised image of your motherboard will also be acceptable.
a conky set up detailing the ins and outs of the very soul of your computer, and your current listening sensation.
not a requirement, per se, but your desktop really should span multiple monitors to truly be awesome.

unfortunately, i cannot enter this competition as i use the gnome desktop. Still, prizes will be given to the winners. Who will take my challenge?

No icons? Check, primary window manager: Ratpoison
Terminals? Heck yeah. And to go along with number 1, no icons in my file manager either, because I don't even have a file manager loaded on my machine. Bash with autocompletion is the way to go.
Terminal embedded in the desktop? Meh, seems superfluous if you've already got other terminals running. Besides, I can't see the desktop anyway since all my programs run full-screen by default.
Dark theme? How about an all black desktop (i.e. no desktop) and black-background terminals? And as for having a 'theme', that sort of assumes you use a bunch of GUI programs that would show a theme in the first place. No GUI-themeable apps makes a theme unimportant. And as far as tiny window borders, I don't have any window borders at all.
Desktop picture? Also unimportant since I never see the 'desktop', it's covered as soon as I start a terminal or other app.
Conky? Nah, again unnecessary, as I can't see my desktop. And as far as the stuff conky shows, like disk space or memory usage, well, if you've got terminals open all of the time, those things can be shown at any time with a simple command. (and I never even come remotely close to using all of my memory anyway, so why monitor its usage in the first place?)
Multiple monitors? Dang, I've only got one. But it's widescreen, so does that count? ;) I suppose you could count the fact that my server is headless and being displayed in a terminal on my one monitor, so that's even better than multiple monitors, that's multiple computers on one monitor! :D

And although it's not on your list, may I also add that since I use Ratpoison as my window manager, Conkeror as my web browser, and terminal apps for most other things, 95% of the time I never touch my mouse. Keyboard control only, it's wonderful!

Bob

Sealbhach
July 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
This guy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7609532&postcount=537

bodhi.zazen
July 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Real geeks do not run X :twisted:

tjwoosta
July 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Theres not enough geeks on UF, all the screenshots so far are just average desktops

heres my old awesome wm setup (it must be only borderline geeky because I dont have any pearl open in the terminals :))

http://omploader.org/tMWFudA (http://omploader.org/vMWFudA)

http://omploader.org/tMWFudQ (http://omploader.org/vMWFudQ)

http://omploader.org/tMWFudg (http://omploader.org/vMWFudg)