PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are Writers?

Black Mage
May 11th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Safe to say that everyone in here is a computer user(or has computer problems and realizes this is the best place to get solutions), and most of you are probably Linux users. But how many of you are writers, creative writers, or like to writer...besides me?

bashveank
May 11th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I'm a creative writing minor at my University.

cptrohn
May 11th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I love to write and always have...

Got a couple of minor things published about 5 years ago, and then got a promotion at work and didn't have time to really sit down and get anything done as far as free thinking for a while..

I miss it.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Writing a bit here and there, essays mainly, about social sciences in general.
I tried writing stories, succeeded a few years ago but didn't have any good ideas since, still waiting for that.

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I'm not a writer, but I play one on Xanga.com ...I enjoy it but have no wish to capitalize on it. That would ruin the fun.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I'm not a writer, but I play one on Xanga.com ...I enjoy it but have no wish to capitalize on it. That would ruin the fun.

..What do you mean you play one???

Ms_Angel_D
May 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I've been writing poetry & short stories sense I was about 11 years old. You can see some of my work on Scribd (http://www.scribd.com/MarksAngel).

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
..What do you mean you play one???I just do what I imagine writers do. I do it for fun, not for profit. That was just an obscure referrence to an old comercial on TV where a man says "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" and then proceeds to give medical advice. You must be very young...

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I just do what I imagine writers do. I do it for fun, not for profit. That was just an obscure referrence to an old comercial on TV where a man says "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" and then proceeds to give medical advice. You must be very young...

Just not a big TV fan ;) I turn mine on about once a year. I prefer reading. ;)

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Me too, now. That commercial was pre-internet. I guess you could call me a geezer... if you're wantin' a whoopin' :D

Black Mage
May 11th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Just not a big TV fan ;) I turn mine on about once a year. I prefer reading. ;)

Same here. I don't even have cable thank to Hulu and NBC. I just watch everything online...cable is on its way out.

I'm suprised at the amount of responses in such a short time. So let me ask, as writers what do you think about the site ScribeShare, wwww.scribeshare.net ? Where writers can write stories together and have a online writers journal?

JetskiDude911
May 11th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I do enjoy writing, but I never seem to have time to sit down and do it. A new thing I am now trying is to sit down for a few minutes each day and write in a journal. So far I've been able to do this for a few weeks. Hopefully I can keep the habit up because I do enjoy it. Just finding time is sometimes a real problem.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Same here. I don't even have cable thank to Hulu and NBC. I just watch everything online...cable is on its way out.

I'm suprised at the amount of responses in such a short time. So let me ask, as writers what do you think about the site ScribeShare, wwww.scribeshare.net ? Where writers can write stories together and have a online writers journal?

Yeah, I watch my stuff online as well. Great thing that is the internet.

Hmm I never worked on ScribeShare, but I might try it out, sounds interesting.

EDIT: It seems to be a fairly new thing, might want to wait a bit and see how it unfolds.

thisllub
May 11th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I am collecting material for two wildly different non-fiction books.
One is progressing nicely the other stalled. It may devolve into some other form.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I am collecting material for two wildly different non-fiction books.
One is progressing nicely the other stalled. It may devolve into some other form.

What are they about (if it's not top secret of course. ;))???

thisllub
May 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What are they about (if it's not top secret of course. ;))???

One is an attempt at a humorous look at parenting that contains stories I have collected over the last 20 years of the job.

The other is based on an inspiration I had on how to take over democratic governments with what are basically open source style ideas.
I have devised a method that would empower people to become involved in individual government decisions through technology in every democratic country.
All without changing one line of a constitution.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
One is an attempt at a humorous look at parenting that contains stories I have collected over the last 20 years of the job.

The other is based on an inspiration I had on how to take over democratic governments with what are basically open source style ideas.
I have devised a method that would empower people to become involved in individual government decisions through technology in every democratic country.
All without changing one line of a constitution.

Sounds great! :O About to change the world, are we? ;)

I hope it includes lots of education, true freedom comes from knowledge.

thisllub
May 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Sounds great! :O About to change the world, are we? ;)

I hope it includes lots of education, true freedom comes from knowledge.

The idea is simple but I will keep one thing to myself at this stage - the method to acheive it all.

Essentially individuals would be free to exercise their democratic right on every issue and their political representatives would be bound to vote with the majority opinion of their constituents.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
The idea is simple but I will keep one thing to myself at this stage - the method to acheive it all.

Essentially individuals would be free to exercise their democratic right on every issue and their political representatives would be bound to vote with the majority opinion of their constituents.

Fair enough.
I hope the ideas will grow well!

LightB
May 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I've been writing poetry & short stories sense I was about 11 years old. You can see some of my work on Scribd (http://www.scribd.com/MarksAngel).

Only one with the guts to post examples? Congratulations. :)

Anyways, I do write very rarely, checks and such.

Ms_Angel_D
May 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM

lol I'm not embarrassed of what I write, It's an extension of myself, I don't worry to much what others think of my writing as I do it more for myself then to impress anyone else.

Plainly put I guess what I mean to say is, if my writing moves someone then great I'm glad, but else it's just me expressing my feelings.

Magnes
May 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I write short-stories (and a crappy novel, which I probably won't ever finish) for fun (some time ago also for my RPG/SF e-zin) and some articles for my webpage. Only in Polish though. My English sucks. :)

Black Mage
May 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I watch my stuff online as well. Great thing that is the internet.

Hmm I never worked on ScribeShare, but I might try it out, sounds interesting.

EDIT: It seems to be a fairly new thing, might want to wait a bit and see how it unfolds.

Yea it is. A friend of mine told me to give it a try because a writer he liked it so I did. Turns out I really ended up like it because of the writing journal it offers. Like I don't have to flip through pages of my stuff anymore try to find characters, or good ideas I had a month back when it is all sorted for me online. I would def give it a try, even if you just write for fun.

Einsamkeit
May 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Yea it is. A friend of mine told me to give it a try because a writer he liked it so I did. Turns out I really ended up like it because of the writing journal it offers. Like I don't have to flip through pages of my stuff anymore try to find characters, or good ideas I had a month back when it is all sorted for me online. I would def give it a try, even if you just write for fun.

I'll give it a thought as soon as I have time to then. ;)
Should be around the end of May.

XubuRoxMySox
May 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm not a writer, but I play one on Xanga.com ...

Me too! Some of my stuff is downright trivial and frivolous (what you would expect from a kid). But sometimes I love to "go deep," especially if I'm writing about social stuff, religion, and politics. I've even been published a few times in a couple of magazines.

Pretty much a newbie to Linux (Ubuntu), I've been writing about my "adventures in Linux" lately. I'm about to start a new adventure which is sure to inspire more rants, when my Kubuntu CD arrives.

-Robin

WatchingThePain
May 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I fancy myself as a writer.
I would love to write a book, I just haven't decided what it will be about yet.
So I'm still researching lol.

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM

I "post examples" every time I post here in my sig. how about writing me a check? you know, as an example... :D

WatchingThePain
May 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I "post examples" every time I post here in my sig. how about writing me a check? you know, as an example... :D

Or even a Cheque.

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Or even a Cheque.Even better! Pounds are worth more than dollars.

WatchingThePain
May 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Even better! Pounds are worth more than dollars.

Yes but the pound is struggling too.
When I went to New York years ago I remember getting clothes and food for silly little prices.
The Dollars used to go far back then which was nice.

Name change
May 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Let's say I was a writer. I did wrote a "book" when I was in fourth grade it was a "hi-tech sci-fi" about scouts and werewolf like cyborg whatever...
Anyway it wen't downwards since then...
I blame the school essays for it. They turned me from someone who had no trouble writing in third person to someone who only knows how to give comments on some theme or describe in same way as history books are written.
I did started writing a sci-fi novel which would encompass most of history, from when man learned to talk to "end of times" but it never came to be.

Now I write just for my study; seminars, critiques and such...
So I'm more hoping to get some of "non-fictional" works published someday...
But till then I'll just write for my own fun and for study...

pastalavista
May 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yes but the pound is struggling too.
When I went to New York years ago I remember getting clothes and food for silly little prices.
The Dollars used to go far back then which was nice.

yeah but the stuff you got for your money was probably cheap in every sense of the word... most likely from China.. or processed man-made chemical crap. We get all our real "luxury' goods from Europe.

I wanna Bugatti Veyron ... the best of Italy.. from Germany

PacSci
May 12th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Mostly, I write code. But I write quite a bit for school, and am pretty good at it - my favorite classes so far have been Principles of Microeconomics and Expository Writing, in which I wrote a couple of technically-minded papers (including a 5-page paper on Ubuntu and a 19-page tutorial on how to write a blog in Django - I'm surprised that didn't get thrown out for sheer length). I've been wanting to start a blog to publish some of my writings as soon as I can find some satisfactory software - the blog from that 19-page paper is quite entry-level.

ShodanjoDM
May 12th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I wrote some articles during my college years. Bundled them together and got them published as a book.

Redache
May 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I write a fair bit. Haven't had and probably never will have any of it published. I prefer to Write Songs, which you can check out at http://www.myspace.com/fleetofblades and Poetry.

WatchingThePain
May 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
yeah but the stuff you got for your money was probably cheap in every sense of the word... most likely from China.. or processed man-made chemical crap. We get all our real "luxury' goods from Europe.

I wanna Bugatti Veyron ... the best of Italy.. from Germany

Now that you mention it..your right.
I feel lucky that I live in Europe.
Ever tried Chinese software?.

Kimm
May 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I concider myself a writer. I dont write much, but I like to.

I mainly write about science and society, my last article got at least 1200 readers online (not excessively much, but more than I expected) its been published in a book and I got some great responce from people who work with what I wrote about (AI), so I'm pretty satisfied :)

WatchingThePain
May 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
That's it..I write a book about whether or not a computer can have a Consciousness.

"The word "conscious" is derived from Latin conscius meaning "1. having joint or common knowledge with another, privy to, cognizant of; 2. conscious to oneself; esp., conscious of guilt"." - Wikipedia

Oh how Orson Welles darling.

xhilyn
May 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yes I like to write quite a lot. I've written a Science Fiction novel though it's never been published and am a quarter of the way through a second one.

I also keep a journal which I add each month to what I call my 'Pictobiography'. Which is a Biography in words, pictures, audio and video coving my entire life so far, which is currently over fifty years, so the project is getting kinda large. Though the early years are jusr summerised. It's all done in html so can be viewed in a web browser

So all of that keeps me pretty busy on the writing side.:KS

chris200x9
May 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm starting to write an autobiography/memior...hopefully...I kinda suck at writting :P

artilec
May 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I would write a thousand books on a thousand dreams, but only then, when the very last word of the very last book was read would you have the heart to understand the real truth to the word 'FREEDOM'.