PDA

View Full Version : The difference between free and non-free. Now with pictures!

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Notifications in Ubuntu:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/ubuntu_notify.png

Notifications in Windows 7:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/win7_7068_starter_13.jpg

Corelogik
May 11th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Umm, wheres the pictures?

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Umm, wheres the pictures?

I guess the image service I was using didn't like external linking. Switched to Photobucket now.

illurim
May 11th, 2009, 03:50 AM
What's your point?

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM
The point is some people think there is nothing wrong to make people pay for the privilege of

bool threeAppCap = false;

bashveank
May 11th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Funny, I've seen this one (not exactly, but similar) quite a bit while trying to install 9.04

http://www.overclock.net/attachments/operating-systems/64982d1201855909-installing-linux-ubuntu-error.png

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 03:59 AM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/win7_7068_starter_13.jpg

Soon to be in Win 7 Home edition, to open more then 8 running apps you must pay $300 extra a minute or get Win7 Super maxi extreme warp factor 9 special premium professional ultimate edition for only $6000 for the first hour, $300,0000 for the first week :D

Polygon
May 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
the vista and windows 7 notification system is very hackish. if you look closely, the shadow for that pop up window is separate from the actual bubble, and as it slowly fades away, when the bubble finally vanishes, the shadow remains for a split second then just vanishes (and does not fade away). The ubuntu one is just better technically IMHO.

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
the vista and windows 7 notification system is very hackish. if you look closely, the shadow for that pop up window is separate from the actual bubble, and as it slowly fades away, when the bubble finally vanishes, the shadow remains for a split second then just vanishes (and does not fade away). The ubuntu one is just better technically IMHO.

Yeh though the notification system in Jaunty has been in planning phases fro a while, i know they had plans for something like it for hardy but it never came to be.
Who knows how far win7's notification system has been around, I know it wasnt in the alphas though as I have seen the alphas and they looked like Vista.

markbuntu
May 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I really don't care for most notifications so I will probably just disable them anyway.

I really don't need to be notified that my automatic internet connection has automatically connected to the internet and other stupid stuff like that.

Maybe if they stuck to really critical stuff like "your cpu is melting" or "your hard drive is on fire" or "someone is changing your wifi router password", stuff you really need to pay immediate attention to.

collinp
May 12th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Soon to be in Win 7 Home edition, to open more then 8 running apps you must pay $300 extra a minute or get Win7 Super maxi extreme warp factor 9 special premium professional ultimate edition for only $6000 for the first hour, $300,0000 for the first week :D

I spy a awesome deal!!!

I have to wonder where the "Windows 7 Super Maximum Extreme Warp Factor 9 Special Premium Professional Ultimate Edition" came from, though. :popcorn:

starcannon
May 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I'm waiting for MS Windows X... or would it be MS X Windows? lol

Redache
May 12th, 2009, 04:12 AM
The 3 App Limit is For Windows 7 Starter though?. I can understand why Microsoft are doing it from an Economic Perspective, but from a social perspective I hate the idea.

Basically...Meh.

lvleph
May 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM
The 3 App Limit is For Windows 7 Starter though?. I can understand why Microsoft are doing it from an Economic Perspective, but from a social perspective I hate the idea.

Basically...Meh.

That is ridiculous. They had to put more code in and spend more money, so that they could sell the OS at a lower cost?

Redache
May 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
That is ridiculous. They had to put more code in and spend more money, so that they could sell the OS at a lower cost?

If they sell 1 Million Copies of Windows Starer Edition for $30 and then had the Option to Upgrade to Home Basic or Home Premium for another $30 they would more than make their money back.

It's also there to try and combat Netbook adoption. People will buy Netbooks with Windows 7 Starter Edition and then complain that they are awful compared to their shiny Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop. It's also another chance to screw over developing countries.

rpwdh
May 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I'm waiting for MS Windows X... or would it be MS X Windows? lol

It's already here... my laptop is EX Windows!

:biggrin:

starcannon
May 12th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Basically...Meh.

Because of the social perspective I can't believe they are doing it for the economic perspective. This sort of cripple-ware approach has never gone over well, and is not generally good for public image and makes marketing even more difficult. I can not wait to see the barrage of Mac advertisements that will certainly ensue on this topic. Should be good for a lol or 3(sorry couldn't resist).

Redache
May 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Because of the social perspective I can't believe they are doing it for the economic perspective. This sort of cripple-ware approach has never gone over well, and is not generally good for public image and makes marketing even more difficult. I can not wait to see the barrage of Mac advertisements that will certainly ensue on this topic. Should be good for a lol or 3(sorry couldn't resist).

Microsoft don't seem to pay attention to Public Image any more, One hand seeks to improve it, Ballmer seeks to destroy it.

You'd think they'd curb the Arrogance, but sadly no.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Well, seeing as

bool threeAppCap = true;

is one character shorter than

bool threeAppCap = false;

50 million lines of code. Let's be conservative and estimate that each line of code has roughly 30 characters each. That makes 1,500,000,000 characters in total. Assuming the Home edition retails for $150, that's ten million characters per dollar, or 100,000 per cent. That would mean each character of source code costs roughly 0.00001 cent. That ought to make the starter edition cost 149.99999 dollars. I think Microsoft are planning on selling it much cheaper than that. A good deal for everybody, then.