PDA

View Full Version : I had to install Vista today

cptrohn
May 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
'still shivering and waiting 2 hours+ for the all the updates to download and install"

But lucky for me it wasn't on either of my boxes.... I upgraded my laptop to a 500GB the other night so I gave my old 250GB to my dad to replace his 80GB....

I had forgotten how bloated, sluggish and how many freaking updates you had to get for defender.. anti-virus, anti-malware, etc and just how darn long it took to do it....

But the good news is I've talked him into dual booting with Ubuntu.... His exact words "I don't care as long as I can use it and get on the internet"

So hopefully he will discover Ubuntu and firefox compared to Vista and IE and see the light... LOL

(btw... still waiting for the darn M$ updates to finish loading... It will probably be midnight before it's finally done.)

Sealbhach
May 11th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Then you have to wait 20 minutes for it to switch off while it's "configuring updates". At least, that's my experience of Vista.

ninjapirate89
May 11th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Give your dad a few days and he'll be begging for you to remove Vista.

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I wonder if installing Gutsy, and then embarking on a step-by-step upgrade through every Ubuntu version available right up to Jaunty would be faster than the hell of waiting for Windows updates to finish. I think older XP installs would be slower. I wonder if anyone has ever tried doing this.

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I wonder if installing Gutsy, and then embarking on a step-by-step upgrade through every Ubuntu version available right up to Jaunty would be faster than the hell of waiting for Windows updates to finish. I think older XP installs would be slower. I wonder if anyone has ever tried doing this.

Depends on your download speed I guess, I take your challenge sir!
(fires up virtualbox and grabs Gutsy disk)

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Well that should be interesting :P

hansdown
May 11th, 2009, 03:50 AM
This should be interesting.

cptrohn
May 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Then you have to wait 20 minutes for it to switch off while it's "configuring updates". At least, that's my experience of Vista.

Darn, I forgot about that part.... it's at installing the updates right now.. when I first posted it was at 20%.... now it's at a whopping 23%.....

I might get this done before daybreak at this rate.:)

And it will take what? A good 30-40 minutes tops to install jaunty AND get the updates? and just for kicks I used an Ubuntu ISO disk before I changed out the HD and the wireless was working fine....

This will be like shooting ducks in a barrell after I tweak his ubuntu partition with some slick wallpaper and screenlets... I ought to load up some good compiz window effects to blow his mind..

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Well that should be interesting :P

Well well from Gutsy to Hardy its official, about 28 minutes (this includes install time though, Gutsy installed in about 10 minutes in Vbox, in a actual install this would be around 20 minutes on my machine, A real install would probably take around 38 minutes in total)

Now from Hardy to Ibex!

Polygon
May 11th, 2009, 04:25 AM
'still shivering and waiting 2 hours+ for the all the updates to download and install"

But lucky for me it wasn't on either of my boxes.... I upgraded my laptop to a 500GB the other night so I gave my old 250GB to my dad to replace his 80GB....

I had forgotten how bloated, sluggish and how many freaking updates you had to get for defender.. anti-virus, anti-malware, etc and just how darn long it took to do it....

But the good news is I've talked him into dual booting with Ubuntu.... His exact words "I don't care as long as I can use it and get on the internet"

So hopefully he will discover Ubuntu and firefox compared to Vista and IE and see the light... LOL

(btw... still waiting for the darn M$ updates to finish loading... It will probably be midnight before it's finally done.)

yeah, i dunno what copy of vista you are running, but pretty much all of your statements are incorrect. Vista is FASTER at downloading updates then xp. It should just download service pack 1, then maybe like 20+ updates after that, and after a reboot, its done. it should not take 2 hours.

Hell, upgrading my xp service pack 1 a box took less then 2 hours, and you could only download like 3 updates at a time without being forced to restart (and to see the rest of the updates)

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Interesting. This experiment of yours sound rather bloggable. Replete with fancy graphs and what-have-you. You'll probably get slashdotted!

cptrohn
May 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
yeah, i dunno what copy of vista you are running, but pretty much all of your statements are incorrect. Vista is FASTER at downloading updates then xp. It should just download service pack 1, then maybe like 20+ updates after that, and after a reboot, its done. it should not take 2 hours.

Hell, upgrading my xp service pack 1 a box took less then 2 hours, and you could only download like 3 updates at a time without being forced to restart (and to see the rest of the updates)

... I'm installing right now... and it's STILL not done yet... Fresh install on an old HD I wiped with DBAN earlier today. Version I don't know, but it was from his rescue disks and his machine is only about 1 year old. So it had to format the HD then install... then you have to upgrade windows defender and the M$ updates.... it is taking forever...

Please don't say I'm wrong when I am sitting here with the machine sitting right in front of me and you are not.

Polygon
May 11th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Version I don't know, but it was from his rescue disks

that is it right there. The rescue disks always take forever cause they install a bunch of crap you don't need.

if you were installing from the native windows vista install disk you would be done already.

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
that is it right there. The rescue disks always take forever cause they install a bunch of crap you don't need.

if you were installing from the native windows vista install disk you would be done already.

Yeh though they often offer hardware drivers thus giving the illusion of full hardware support but a pure Vista/XP install needs quite a bit of drivers to work depending, even Ubuntu has better hardware support in some cases.
Anyhow from Hardy to Ibex again official, almost 20 minutes!
about 50 minutes in total.
An hour and maybe 10 minutes if this was a real install.
Now from ibex to Jaunty, I estimate another 15 to 20 minutes, guessing about 2 hours in a real install...
Thats just about the same time a Vista install can take depending on hardware, plus added time for updates depending on download speed, that would be about a day in XP terms!
Vista can take less time though, but this is all just a test anyhow.

cptrohn
May 11th, 2009, 04:57 AM

That is probably true, but when you buy a new windows laptop they don't give you just a windows disk now.... Shoot they don't give you any disks at all... I had to create the disks from Vista myself for it.

I don't know if it is the same way with desktops now or not.. (is Vista pre-installed in those too now?)

All I know is it is taking forever and a day to do it it seems...

(and it's a little frustrating, sorry I snapped at ya.:)

SunnyRabbiera
May 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Well Ibex to Jaunty is complete, and as expected it took about an hour and 10 minutes to complete.
That is probably 2 hours if this was a real install, but this is all in virtualbox running under KDE4 while I am browsing the net on firefox, there might have been slowdown thanks to my activities so it should not represent an actual benchmark.

geekygirl
May 11th, 2009, 05:35 AM
That is probably true, but when you buy a new windows laptop they don't give you just a windows disk now.... Shoot they don't give you any disks at all... I had to create the disks from Vista myself for it.

Yeah thats pretty much modus operandus for most laptop manufacturers now - Dell are the only ones I know of that ship with an OEM copy of Windows, and the accompanying driver disc (this is probably only here in Australia though) and applications disc so you can do a fresh install.
Asus ship with a recovery disc that has all its bloatware included, but at least you dont need to make your own, and Sony, well....they made me create 3 DVD's as my recovery disc set!!

Easier and cheaper (not to mention allowed in the MS OEM EULA) to put in a recovery partition and have the end-user create their own discs.