PDA

View Full Version : A request from any user that I've helped at all.

BslBryan
May 11th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hello all. :-)

At the moment, I am applying for Ubuntu membership.

I have completed all of the required fields necessary, but apparently approval/rejection can be a lot smoother and faster with testimonials from other Ubuntu users.

For this reason, I am asking anyone that I've helped, whether directly or otherwise, to please come forward and either

1. Write a testimonial of any length on the forums that I will be allowed to use (quote) on my personal wiki page, OR

2. Go to my wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BslBryan) and click "edit" and write a testimonial under the correct "Testimonials" section.

I am only asking people to do this that want to, or feel that I deserve membership.

If anyone happens to write one for me, and decides to go the second route, would you kindly post here and inform me of the testimonial?

Thanks, everyone. :-)

BslBryan
May 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Just bringing this back up to the front page. :-)

I'm sure that there is at least one user that wouldn't mind writing a sentence or two.

Obviously, though, there is no obligation to write anything. :lol:

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
*Also Sprach Zarathustra*

Bump...

Bump....

Bump.....

BUMP BUMP!

:P

I'm beginning to think that not very many people browsing the Cafe are familiar with me on the forums.

sports fan Matt
May 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Even though I dont think you have helped me, I could most certainly say a few words :)

Eisenwinter
May 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, stop begging.

calrogman
May 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, stop begging.

Say please.

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, stop begging.

No need to be rude, here. :P

I am currently in the meeting, with no testimonials, and I feel fine. I have contributed enough, and have ability to prove it. I just thought it would be nice to have a few words from other people on hand.

Anyway, I'll post and tell how it goes. :-)

baseface
May 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
is your wiki like a resume? and what exactly is an "ubuntu membership"?

billgoldberg
May 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
is your wiki like a resume? and what exactly is an "ubuntu membership"?

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember

I would love one of those @ubuntu.com email addresses.

:p:p

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
BslBryan, I don't question the quality of your contibution, just the duration. :-) -1, but no rejection

I see knowledge, helpfulness, but not (yet) a sustained presence or contribution. I see a good start. I'm going to recommend spending some more time in the Ubuntu community, including the forums, but not necessarily limited to that venue--join a team or two and participate in a project. Do something with other people. I think you have promise but you aren't quite ready. Please do come back later. -1 for now

-1 for the same reasons, keep up the good work BslBryan !

Oh well. :-) I'll try back again in a couple of months when my online support and contribution to Ubuntu isn't so new.

baseface
May 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
i hope youre not relying on your forum replies to get you a membership. they lack any technical detail.

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM
If you're speaking of mine, personally, I disagree. Even if you're speaking of the forums in general, I disagree as well.

It's just that the forums, over the last year, is where I've learned a lot about Unix and Linux. Sure, I've read a couple of books that have helped out a lot, but the forums have taught me a greater amount, and I believe that forum replies have to be technical to a different degree for each problem.

Anyway, I'll be posting on the forums still, but I'll be doing some other work as well. In a couple of months, I'll try again. :-)

CharmyBee
May 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
membership is earned, not demanded.

kk0sse54
May 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
What have you contributed to Ubuntu that makes you believe that you deserve Ubuntu Membership?

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Go to my wiki page (wiki.ubuntu.com/BslBryan) for all of these answers.

Just for clarification, I'm not being rude, or demanding anything. Read forum posts. I've been declined, for now.

It is very vague on the wiki pages devoted to discussing Ubuntu membership. If I would have known more specifics, I would have waited in the first place.

I see no reason for this topic to be open any longer if I am only getting flamed.

I believe that I have been very polite in every way, and I also believe that I am being attacked for being temporarily ignorant on a certain topic.

I will continue to help others and contribute to Ubuntu, and after a couple of months, when I deserve it a little more, I will apply again. :-)

Also, I have to EDIT:

charmybee, your post has been really bothering me:

membership is earned, not demanded.

There really is no reason to be so rude. I'm not trying to attack you, I promise, and I don't think any less of you, but going out of your way to be harsh is uncalled for.

Putting that aside, I disagree with you in the sense that while it is earned, it must be something that you prepare for. This thread is constantly being mistaken for spam, but it is breaking no rules. Also, I never demanded any such thing. In fact, I never demanded a thing at all. I simply prepared what I was asked to prepare, and asked for a couple of testimonials, which were also asked for. I didn't fuss about not having any, I simply went to the meeting, I was heard, and they told me to come back in a couple of months.

Tell me, please, where I have been out of line in anything that I have ever posted? If you can point out anything, you have my word that I will apologize for it.

Sorry to rant, charmy.

dagrump
May 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Sorry about your set back. Keep your chin up & ignore any detractors. If you want the member status just keep plugging along. Everything in it's own time.

BslBryan
May 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Sorry about your set back. Keep your chin up & ignore any detractors. If you want the member status just keep plugging along. Everything in it's own time.
Thanks a lot, dagrump. :-)

hansdown
May 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Keep at it BslBryan. I think you'll do fine.

Didn't I see some talented artwork that you did?

kk0sse54
May 13th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Go to my wiki page (wiki.ubuntu.com/BslBryan) for all of these answers.

Just for clarification, I'm not being rude, or demanding anything. Read forum posts. I've been declined, for now.

It is very vague on the wiki pages devoted to discussing Ubuntu membership. If I would have known more specifics, I would have waited in the first place.

I see no reason for this topic to be open any longer if I am only getting flamed.

I believe that I have been very polite in every way, and I also believe that I am being attacked for being temporarily ignorant on a certain topic.

I will continue to help others and contribute to Ubuntu, and after a couple of months, when I deserve it a little more, I will apply again. :-)

Also, I have to EDIT:

charmybee, your post has been really bothering me:

There really is no reason to be so rude. I'm not trying to attack you, I promise, and I don't think any less of you, but going out of your way to be harsh is uncalled for.

Putting that aside, I disagree with you in the sense that while it is earned, it must be something that you prepare for. This thread is constantly being mistaken for spam, but it is breaking no rules. Also, I never demanded any such thing. In fact, I never demanded a thing at all. I simply prepared what I was asked to prepare, and asked for a couple of testimonials, which were also asked for. I didn't fuss about not having any, I simply went to the meeting, I was heard, and they told me to come back in a couple of months.

Tell me, please, where I have been out of line in anything that I have ever posted? If you can point out anything, you have my word that I will apologize for it.

Sorry to rant, charmy.

I already read your wiki and while I encourage you to continue striving for your goal, a few hundred post on the UF alone aren't going to ever get you Ubuntu Membership nor is your artwork unless you are actually working with Ubuntu artwork team. Continue working at it though, you might want to also look to see what else you can help out in i.e. Beginner Team, Unansered Post Team etc etc

BslBryan
May 13th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I already read your wiki and while I encourage you to continue striving for your goal, a few hundred post on the UF alone aren't going to ever get you Ubuntu Membership nor is your artwork unless you are actually working with Ubuntu artwork team. Continue working at it though, you might want to also look to see what else you can help out in i.e. Beginner Team, Unansered Post Team etc etc

Right, thanks. :-)

The kinds of posts that I hunt down on these forums are unanswered posts, so I might want to give that a shot. Thanks a lot, C!oud.

sailthesea
May 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Well I've run with a couple of tips you've given along the way Thanks
I'm sorry they didn't let you in "the club" and about the negativity you might feel but Hey just try to do your bit and help others thats what its about
"When you do things right No one can be sure you did anything at all":)

swoll1980
May 13th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Everyone's a critic. :roll:

dmizer
May 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Closing this, as the reason for this thread has passed.

Keep up the good work, and good luck next time!