PDA

View Full Version : System 76 Bringing it , Starling NetBook.

Wiebelhaus
May 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.workswithu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/system76_starling_netbook.jpg

Less than one week after Canonical debuted Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix edition, System76 is playing an encure by launching an Ubuntu 9.04 netbook. The move had been rumored for several weeks. And itís certainly the first of many Ubuntu netbooks that will hit the market. Hereís a bit more about System76ís new device.

Known as the Starling NetBook, the System76 device features Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04, a 10.1″ LED Widescreen LCD, 1 GB of memory, a 160 GB hard drive, WiFi, a webcam, a 6 cell battery, and a nearly full size keyboard in a 2.6 lb. package, according to System76 President Carl Richell. Default pricing for the system ó when I checked System76ís site a few minutes ago ó was (US)$359.00.

Now, I must concede: Many netbooks have disappointed me. Weíve got one of the older Asus Eee PCs at home, and I found the keyboard far too small for regular typing. Also, I found pointing and clicking difficult/clumsy. More recently, I tried to get my hands on a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook, but a holiday pricing special for the system wasnít working quite right when I tried to order the system.

So I have to admit: System76 has me intrigued. I had good experience recently testing System76ís Pangolin Performance laptop. And Ubuntu users seem to like System76ís products: The companyís revenues (from Ubuntu-oriented systems, of course) grew 61 percent in 1Q 2009 vs. 1Q 2008.

But will System76 deliver another hit with its new Starling NetBook? And are netbooks really a product category that will stick around? I do think small, low-cost notebooks will continue to proliferate the market. I just hope System76 and peer Ubuntu system makers donít sacrifice quality as they strive to build even lower-cost systems.

From Workswithu (http://www.workswithu.com/2009/04/27/system76-launches-ubuntu-904-netbook/)

I'm Loving this! I think it's a better offering than all the others! And it comes with what I would install first thing anyway!

Kudos System 76 (http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=92)! Ordering!

monsterstack
May 11th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Not bad. Not bad at all. :D

chucky chuckaluck
May 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM
as goofy as those little asterisks look, i've got to say i've had zero problems with my pangolin.

Sealbhach
May 11th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Looks good, that's about 260 Euros, 235 UK pounds, so a good price for what you get.

FuturePilot
May 11th, 2009, 02:56 AM
That looks pretty slick. The specs look really good for price.

drawkcab
May 11th, 2009, 03:46 AM
looks like a cool device

I just hate the netbook remix thing. I kind of like eeebuntu who have preseved the standard desktop experience.

Grant A.
May 11th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Kinda thick for a netbook, isn't it?

joninkrakow
May 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I don't think it's much, if any thicker than others. Comparing the sides to my Wind, it looks about the same, and at 2.6lbs, it's certainly not on the heavier side of the Netbook curve. I think the shape makes it look fater (rounder, and now sloping towards the edge), plus the editing done on the photos is not so hot. They didn't photoshop or gimp out the shadows underneath, which makes it look fatter than it is. (They need some people who know what they are doing to take their pictures.)

Of course the _real_ question is, can you make it into a Hackintosh? ;-)

-Jon

Orlsend
May 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Yeah I was thinking that too,for sure my EeePc its thiner.

ubermenschx
June 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I did a review on it at www.MichaelAnthonyGonzalez.com and an unboxing video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-Iem0Gbk8

gn2
June 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
It has the lower resolution 1024x576 10.1" screen that seems to be getting fitted to newer model netbooks.
Definitely a backwards step.

aysiu
June 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
It has the lower resolution 1024x576 10.1" screen that seems to be getting fitted to newer model netbooks.
Definitely a backwards step.
I've got that same resolution on my HP Mini, and it's not a problem, except when running VirtualBox. In VirtualBox, Ubuntu will know to be 800x600, but the very bottom bit (the lower panel) will cut off. Otherwise, I don't miss the extra 24 pixels.

gn2
June 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
For years I had a 1024x768 sub-notebook and I doubt I could accept anything less.