PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] GTK apps in KDE 4.2.3 lock the system...

Izobalax
May 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I've had this problem ever since I've installed Kubuntu Jaunty. First, a little story...

I initially thought that this problem was AmaroK, as the system would frequently hang whenever I used Amarok. I used a different media player but the problem still remained.

To cut a long diagnosis short, I THINK the problem is GTK. It's MOST notable when I'm using GIMP - I can pretty much guarantee that if I'm using GIMP my system, at any random time during use, will freeze when using GIMP. The freezes are different as well; sometimes I can only move the mouse and nothing responds, or EVERYTHING locks, or X just logs me out. Really strange. I've stopped using Firefox as well because that was causing the same problem.

Essentially, with only Qt apps open, there are no problems. As soon as I wap out a GTK app, my system goes spazzy.

What the HELL is going on and how can I solve this?

/izo\

Izobalax
May 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Bumparoo!

/izo\

jadedoto
May 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem. I noticed it with Firefox first, and now with Rhythmbox. Jaunty with KDE4.2.3

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm experiencing the same problem. I noticed it with Firefox first, and now with Rhythmbox. Jaunty with KDE4.2.3
Thank god someone else has this!

I don't mean this in a bad way.

/izo\

jimbo99
May 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Where did you get KDE 4.2.3 to install?

kde4-core-user
May 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Where did you get KDE 4.2.3 to install?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.3

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 12:27 PM
What he said. This is obviously frustrating, certainly for me, as I can't use GIMP without it crashing my system.

/izo\

Monsieur Gonzalez
May 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have no problem here. Using Firefox all the time, Gimp on a daily basis, no crashes or freezes.

Can you see any pattern? You have an Ati card, are you using the restricted drivers?

If you launch the gtk app from konsole, can you see any 'strange' output?

Are you using qt-curve or gtk-qt?

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Can you see any pattern?

It's pretty much guaranteed to lock in a random way when I click on something in the GTK app; it could be a window, a button to save or whatever. That action causes the lock up. Firefox is not so bad since it isn't STRICTLY GTK, but GIMP and others are definitely consistently problematic.

You have an Ati card, are you using the restricted drivers?

No, open source.

If you launch the gtk app from konsole, can you see any 'strange' output?

I shall try that one.

Are you using qt-curve or gtk-qt?

Qt-curve. I, at one point, also had gtk-qt installed and wondered whether that was conflicting with qt-curve at all, so I removed it. The problem remains.

Curiously, since refusing to use ANY GTK app, my system hasn't crashed once.

/izo\

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
OK, running GIMP in Konsole gives me this:

/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/refocus: error while loading shared libraries: liblapack.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp-2.6:4402): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-2.6: gimp_wire_read(): error

It was running, but I daren't do anything with the app in case my system died again.

/izo\

Monsieur Gonzalez
May 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
OK, running GIMP in Konsole gives me this:

/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/refocus: error while loading shared libraries: liblapack.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp-2.6:4402): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-2.6: gimp_wire_read(): error

It was running, but I daren't do anything with the app in case my system died again.

/izo\

Well, launching Gimp here I get no such message. Check the package liblapack3gf is installed. Though it might be unrelated to the crashes, but still, worth a try.

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, launching Gimp here I get no such message. Check the package liblapack3gf is installed. Though it might be unrelated to the crashes, but still, worth a try.
It's installed.

Monsieur Gonzalez
May 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Running out of ideas, but, does it happen with Desktop Effects disabled? Is Compiz installed? Some compiz config left? I'm running out of ideas, sorry...!!!

Izobalax
May 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Running out of ideas, but, does it happen with Desktop Effects disabled? Is Compiz installed? Some compiz config left? I'm running out of ideas, sorry...!!!

Heh, no worries, man. I shall try no effects and report back. Compiz is not running or installed.

Thanks for the help in any case! Curiously, Qt libraries have just updated.

/izo\

Izobalax
May 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Heh, no worries, man. I shall try no effects and report back. Compiz is not running or installed.

Thanks for the help in any case! Curiously, Qt libraries have just updated.

/izo\
Tried GIMP last night with about 15 minutes with no crash. Shall work on it more later, along with Firefox and see if the problem remains.

/izo\

jimbo99
May 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Please do NOT direct me to KDE or kubuntu.org. This is simply just an appeasment answer. I was looking for the link to the repository for jaunty that allows for the upgrade. I specifically asked for kde 4.2.3 so that was an obvious inference.

Sheesh, some people.

james_xxx
May 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
jimbo99, what in the world are you talking about?

The person gave you a link to a page containing VERY PROMINENTLY the line that needs to be added to your sources.list, in order to upgrade to KDE4.2.3. This was no 'appeasement', and no one could have been more helpful.

At any rate, I was curious as to whether anyone else out there was having issues after having performed this upgrade. Is it safe to proceed?

Izobalax
May 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Tried GIMP last night with about 15 minutes with no crash. Shall work on it more later, along with Firefox and see if the problem remains.

/izo\

jimbo99, what in the world are you talking about?

The person gave you a link to a page containing VERY PROMINENTLY the line that needs to be added to your sources.list, in order to upgrade to KDE4.2.3. This was no 'appeasement', and no one could have been more helpful.

At any rate, I was curious as to whether anyone else out there was having issues after having performed this upgrade. Is it safe to proceed?

OK, well, I installed the liblapack3gf development packages and, like I said, the Qt libraries updated themselves as well.

I only have gtk2-engine-qtcurve installed.

I used GIMP for a good half an hour or more the other night with no crashes of locks.

Problem solved? I hope so. I wonder if it was a bug in the Qt libraries that didn't speak nicely with GTK...

/izo\

Izobalax
May 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
OK, well, I installed the liblapack3gf development packages and, like I said, the Qt libraries updated themselves as well.

I only have gtk2-engine-qtcurve installed.

I used GIMP for a good half an hour or more the other night with no crashes of locks.

Problem solved? I hope so. I wonder if it was a bug in the Qt libraries that didn't speak nicely with GTK...

/izo\
Scratch that. Just had a series of locks when using GIMP again. Mainly on image-intensive work.

*sigh*

/izo\

krazyd
May 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
This sounds like a memory problem to me. Both firefox and gimp thrash the RAM, and so the problem might not show up with other apps.

Try this: during boot, on the grub menu there is an item "memtest" or similar. Select that and let it run for 6 tests. If any errors show up, it means that you have a faulty memory chip and need to replace the bad unit.

Izobalax
May 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
This sounds like a memory problem to me. Both firefox and gimp thrash the RAM, and so the problem might not show up with other apps.

Try this: during boot, on the grub menu there is an item "memtest" or similar. Select that and let it run for 6 tests. If any errors show up, it means that you have a faulty memory chip and need to replace the bad unit.
I shall try it. Thanks.

/izo\

montesss
May 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Izobalax you're not crazy and it's not your memory, so you can just forget about testing it.
I got the same issue and I can reproduce it with acute success :(
I am using GIMP intensively and did used it today too before I upgraded to KDE 4.2.3. After I upgraded it crashes beautifully, my screen goes blank, I get no errors in no logs. So tried to run it from console too... but screen goes blank.. can't see anything...

I have an ATI card and I use the normal drivers cause I can't use the proprietary ones (because... Jaunty... Xorg 1.6 :-x)

Izobalax
May 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Izobalax you're not crazy and it's not your memory, so you can just forget about testing it.
I got the same issue and I can reproduce it with acute success :(
I am using GIMP intensively and did used it today too before I upgraded to KDE 4.2.3. After I upgraded it crashes beautifully, my screen goes blank, I get no errors in no logs. So tried to run it from console too... but screen goes blank.. can't see anything...

I have an ATI card and I use the normal drivers cause I can't use the proprietary ones (because... Jaunty... Xorg 1.6 :-x)

So I'm not going crazy.

/izo\

After the memtest, there is ONE bad memory address.

/izo\

krazyd
June 4th, 2009, 03:48 AM
After the memtest, there is ONE bad memory address.

/izo\

One bad address is one too many. This is certainly the cause of your lockups, and it will continue to be a problem until you remove the bad memory module from your system!!

@montesss: this could be a completely different issue.