PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Crashed 6.10

JaeDMC
May 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Okay, I'm very new and very desperate. My Windows machine was giving me some trouble so I decided on a whim to just install Ubuntu 6.10. I had a disk lying around for a long time so I popped it in and checked it out. I then decided to just do a full wipe and install.

The problem is that somewhere towards the end of the installation it crashed. Now I can't boot Ubuntu without using the Live CD. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it but every time I try and reinstall it, it crashes. Generally I don't even get GRUB when I boot up. I get Error 15. I usually have to use the LIVE CD to install GRUB, but after that I still can't get it to boot. It just hangs up as it identifies my system. I'm running a Dell Dimension 4500S.

I have a copy of Ubuntu 8.10 iso on a Sandisk Cruzer that I never burnt to a disk as well. And I can access the Internet from the computer. If these or any other tools you can think of can help me get this computer running, that would be awesome.

lvleph
May 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM
6.10 isn't supported, so I doubt you will get much help. If you were to try a more up to date versioin then you would get more help. I would try and get a burned copy of 8.10 and install that.

Ptero-4
May 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
You'll need to reinstall windoze (to have something on the HD from which to burn your 8.10 iso, that is unless you're lucky enough to have two optical drives one of them being a CD(DVD) burner in which case you can just boot the liveCD from one of your drives and burn in the other one).