PDA

View Full Version : A question for folks who browse with noscript+adblock enabled

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
When you use somebody else's computer, are you ever amazed at how terrible the internet is to use?

It's weird. People without adblock grow to ignore adverts over time. I certainly did in the Internet Explorer 4 days. But I've been using adblock for so long now that to browse the web without it is rather a shock: it's as if all of that built-up immunity to adverts has simply vanished.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

MikeTheC
May 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Not only that, but some pages actually load faster because of all the garbage the browser doesn't attempt to render.

Here's an example: Here's a link to a local comic book store's web site (http://comicscardsandstuff.tripod.com). Now, check out the difference between loading it with and without AdBlock Plus. Oh. My. God. Talk about day-and-night!

chellrose
May 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I agree completely!

benj1
May 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
the thing that realy annoys me are the news web sites that show an ad for 15 seconds before they show you the article, theres are a few tho that don't like noscript and won't load without enabling the page.

lovinglinux
May 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Oh yes. When I install alternative browsers for testing or use Prism, I feel a big difference. It's amazing how much useless stuff appears on the screens. I usually close them and go back to Firefox as fast as I can.

aktiwers
May 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I cant work for longer periods without ad-blocking software :)
I really feel it on my university.. IE7 and lots of adds :(

phaed
May 11th, 2009, 02:36 AM
+1 Adblock is the main reason I won't switch to another browser.