PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Default contents of Home Folder

jwilentz
May 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hi all,

After an awful odyssey through two attempts to get Jaunty (Junky?) working, I finally gave up, did a fresh install of Hardy and then upgraded to Intrepid. Everything went fine, but there are no folders in my Home /username directory other than Desktop. I created a Documents folder, but what else should be there?

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place feel free to shift it to the right place!!

jw:confused:

draynes
May 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I can't answer that question exactly, since my installation of Xubuntu 9.04 is still progressing.

I have installed many Linux distros over the last several years on my collection of about 7-8 multi-OS-boot pc's. What folders end up in your Home folder varies all over the place, depending on the distro and the version.

I always create new folders in there to suit me: /downloads, /music, /videos, /storage, /pictures, /mp3, /temp, whatever I want or need. As time goes along and software is fired up and used, a lot of hidden folders get created to store personal configuration data for the programs usually installed somewhere in the /usr folder. In a file browser select "show hidden files" and you'll be surprised at all the junk that accumulates in your /home folder.

upchucky
May 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
your home folder is normally empty, until u create folders and files to store in home, name them anything u want.

it is better to have a separate home partition that way if u ever have a problematic system, or need to re-install everything in the separate home partition will be safe.

Ericyzfr1
May 11th, 2009, 03:36 AM
After a fresh install on Ibex 810, if I remember correctly, you should have Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Templates and Public. These are the folders installed by default, but you do not have to use them. I delete mine as I keep my files on a different partitions and use /home only for user settings.

angellsl
May 11th, 2009, 03:50 AM
home/username is usually "empty" upfront, but can see the hidden file/dirs by "ls -al"