PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kubuntu 9.04 reuire some answers please.

teh'p3nsi0n3r
May 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have used Ubuntu for around 2 years, but untill recently thought i would try out windows 7 which has been running happily for a few months and I am pretty happy with.
However after looking into KDE again (which i used at the start before Ubunutu) Kubuntu 9.04 looked pretty nice.
I remember trying a few distros with KDE4.0 and 4.1 but they constantly froze and were really buggy, really nice none the less.
After reading a few posts about kde 4.2.2 I am tempted to try it again.
But before I do so, I would like to ask a few questions first.

I run a HP 6000 amd athlon X2 laptop, 2gig of ram.
I understand this will run fine, but my main questions are:

What is stability like now?, can I still expect the screen to freeze and will i have restart X?.
Will it be stable enough to run virtualbox (windows xp for photoshop and my other web design apps).
Will plasma/plasmoids slow down or interfere with virtualbox? I remember it running fine with Compiz in Ubuntu with no problems.

Just a few questions before I think of downloading / installing again, also what would you recon would be the best distro to try this time? Kubuntu looks tasty. I am really looking forward to trying out Amarok2, has it improved from it's earlier alpha releases, I used to use the nightly builds and haven't tried it since. :)

regards.

teh'p3nsi0n3r
May 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
bump! :)

teh'p3nsi0n3r
May 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
bump! :)

bumping again :) anyone?

teh'p3nsi0n3r
May 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
anyone there that can answer my questions? thanks. :o