PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on Netbook with no CD/DVD

BluePhase
May 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hi All,

Been trawling the forums for a while now, trying to spot an existing answer to this, but I may of missed it, so here goes...

On Tuesday I'm due to receive a Acer Aspire One AOA 150 Bw netbook which I purchased from eBay, obviously the first thing I want to do is scrap the Windows system and get Linux on there and from what I've read Ubuntu seems to be the best choice, however, there is not CD/DVD drive with the system and I dont have any flash drives.

I currently have an iMac with Leopard running and have downloaded the latest Ubuntu iso, but a bit stuck on what to do next? I've read about something called Wubi(or something similar) that will allow me to do a Linux install from within the Windows Environment, but will this allow me to a full clean install? As in, clear Windows altogether? Or do I need to get a flash drive to boot from?

Oh, and I know Ubuntu is Linux for real people, or whatever the tag line is supposed to be, but I am assuming it does come with the standard C / C++ / Java compilers? Currently studying programming through uni and would like to know if this is an additional download I will need?

I've not used Linux for a few years now, and am eager to get back in the swing of things, but as ever the first step is always the trickiest...

Thanks all in advance, oh, and if I have missed an existing post of the same sort of question, dont flame me too hard!

Cheers,

wpshooter
May 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
It still baffles me why anyone would want a computer without a CD-drive (and as far as I am concerned, why anyone would even want a computer without a floppy drive). These are STILL important computer components as far as I am concerned.

Looks like to me that your best bet is to invest in a USB flash drive.

Good luck.

cholericfun
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
usb is the way to go...

c++ should be installed, if not go to System-Admin-Synaptic and get gcc / g++ or whatever else you need.

intel also has its icc free for single user - migth be a good idea to get that cause chances are thats what you'll be using in college.
(compilation options are not the same..)

in regards to Wubi;
as it installs ubuntu INSIDE windows you cant kick windows off when doing a wubi install...
just get a USB and go for the full install...
also you might want to keep that USB as a "dedicated" install stick..
in case you need to get at your computer via a "LiveCD" if such a thing exists from a USB (?)