PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No Oxygen theme on sudo'ed GTK applications

jackhab
May 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm on Kubuntu 9.04.

When I open a GTK application with root privileges the application has GTK look, when I run it as normal user it has Oxygen theme.

See attached picture. The bigger Wireshark window created by sudo wireshark the smaller one by plain wireshark command.

Why does it happen?

Thanks.

VCoolio
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
themes you install are stored in ~/.themes and icons in ~/.icons. If you want to use them with root apps move them to /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons.

jackhab
May 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
themes you install are stored in ~/.themes and icons in ~/.icons. If you want to use them with root apps move them to /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons.

I don't have neither .themes nor .icons on entire file system.

LinuxGuy1234
May 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
sudo uses root's files. gksu and running as a user uses the user's files.

jackhab
May 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM
sudo uses root's files. gksu and running as a user uses the user's files.

This is known to me. The question is which files are responsible for selecting application theme.

micio
May 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Try to copy the themes and icons files from you home (/home/your_user_name/) to root directory with the same structure.
I use gnome and i have gtk themes and icons in /home/my_user/.themes and .icons, so i copy the content this folder to /root/.themes and /root/.icons (the first time I must create those 2 folders).
In kde I don't remember where they are located, maybe is the same place because we are talking about GTK apps, but if not, try to look into .kde folder.

oobuntoo
May 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm on Kubuntu 9.04.

When I open a GTK application with root privileges the application has GTK look, when I run it as normal user it has Oxygen theme.

See attached picture. The bigger Wireshark window created by sudo wireshark the smaller one by plain wireshark command.

Why does it happen?

Thanks.

This problem has been around a long time. To get around it do the following.

For KDE 3.5.10 system do:

sudo ln -s ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde /root/.gtkrc-2.0

For KDE 4 system do:

sudo ln -s ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 /root/.gtkrc-2.0

Use

kdesudo systemsettings

to change themes for KDE apps that run under root privilege.

jackhab
May 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Finally!!! The link trick works. Thanks a lot, oobuntoo.

the_mouse
February 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
THANK YOU! Has someone filed a bugreport on this? This bug is still present in kubuntu 9.10 and it's pretty easy to fix, so there shouldn't be a problem to do so.