PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 9.04 disaster

zkab
May 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I have 8.10 AMD64 with GeForce 6150 and it works OK ... but when upgrading to 9.04 the problem begins :(

In 8.10 I got (after reboot) following:

1. Ubuntu splash
2. Nvidia splash
3. Login window

After upgrade to 9.04 and reboot I receive Ubuntu splash and then a black screen and a huge cross that I can move around with the mouse ... I can also ctrl/alt/Fn1-7 and login but dont know what I should check or do.

I went from MS Windows to Ubuntu some 3 years ago ... but it has ALWAYS been a mess when upgrading ... have to spend many hours reading forums and try to figure out why things don't work ... don't know how Linux/Ubuntu will take marketshares from Windows when a simple thing like an upgrade don't work :confused:

wpshooter
May 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
... don't know how Linux/Ubuntu will take marketshares from Windows when a simple thing like an upgrade don't work :confused:

I agree.

Also, will not be able to take marketshares from Windows as long as there is little to no effort to get developers of major Windows compatible application software(s) to develop their applications to run natively on Linux based systems (please don't give me that we have this and that substitute applications for Windows based application software - the comparison of those "substitute" Linux applications to major Windows based applications, borders on the ridiculous !!!