PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu let you use Passwords? (I'm new and haven't used it yet).

ZeeMan
January 17th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Hi,
I'm new and am still waiting for my disk to arrive so... I'm asking this question because I want to be ready.
Does Ubuntu allow you to password protect user accounts. All of the screenshots of looked at show only the 'Username' box:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/login.jpeg
(The other image is attached).
Any help is appreciated.:mrgreen:
-Cheers

jdodson
January 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hi,
I'm new and am still waiting for my disk to arrive so... I'm asking this question because I want to be ready.
Does Ubuntu allow you to password protect user accounts. All of the screenshots of looked at show only the 'Username' box:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/login.jpeg

Any help is appreciated.:mrgreen:
-Cheers

yes ubuntu allows you to use passwords. thought i think a more accurate telling is unbuntu requires you use a password(which is a good habit to get into). what you have to do is type in your username and then after that it asks you to enter your password. so what it does is changes the username box to a password box.

when you install ubuntu you have to enter a username and password, so make sure you don't forget what they are when you install. if you have usernames and passwords set in winxp, it is somewhat similar to that.

ZeeMan
January 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks. I was pretty sure it would do something like that. I just like to be careful. Every time I get a computer or OS I ususally spend days configuring it so it works just right.

jdodson
January 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks. I was pretty sure it would do something like that. I just like to be careful. Every time I get a computer or OS I ususally spend days configuring it so it works just right.

i respect that. also what i would do is run some google searches to make sure it will work with your hardware. sometimes hardware can be a bit tricky in gnu/linux. however, ubuntu makes most hardware a breeze to install.

if you so choose, i welcome you to the club:)