PDA

View Full Version : Rogers High Speed internet = Bad

xequence
January 10th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Ok. I have rogers high speed internet. I am gonna tell you why I hate it and why I am switching to bell.

Well, you know... I saw on a website that rogers was doing things to slow down P2P downloads because their servers couldent handle it. I had been getting really slow P2P downloads and uploads, so I decided to call them. First ill explain: On a torrent with 2000 seeders and 5000 leechers, I left it on for awhile. It went really slow uploading to other people, like 5KBps. And I havnt gotten any good upload or download speeds for months. I phoned them and asked if they were capping the speed of my internet. They said that people were complaining about the slowness of downloading their e-mails from the rogers server so they "prioritize" traffic. They would make music and movie downloads slower so people can get their e-mail faster.

Well, there is one problem with that: A downloaded movie is normally 700MB or 1400MB. Now, in my e-mail inbox, I have 500 messeges. That is like 8MB. If everyone got 500 e-mails every hour constantly it still wouldent add up to close to what P2P is.

So... They are lying to me. So, we switched to Bell. Exact same price, but better service... One, they dont cap our internet speeds unfairly like rogers does. Second, there is no download limit. (Rogers has 80GB per month). Third, they have usenet newserver access. Rogers dropped theirs dec 15.

majikstreet
January 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM
"They would make music and movie downloads slower so people can get their e-mail faster." so they are allowing illegal downloads? oh wait, you're in canada..

that sucks. anyway, have fun with bell.. (grr keyboard being an a$$h0l3..)

Derek Djons
January 11th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Ok. I have rogers high speed internet. I am gonna tell you why I hate it and why I am switching to bell.

Well, you know... I saw on a website that rogers was doing things to slow down P2P downloads because their servers couldent handle it. I had been getting really slow P2P downloads and uploads, so I decided to call them. First ill explain: On a torrent with 2000 seeders and 5000 leechers, I left it on for awhile. It went really slow uploading to other people, like 5KBps. And I havnt gotten any good upload or download speeds for months. I phoned them and asked if they were capping the speed of my internet. They said that people were complaining about the slowness of downloading their e-mails from the rogers server so they "prioritize" traffic. They would make music and movie downloads slower so people can get their e-mail faster.

Well, there is one problem with that: A downloaded movie is normally 700MB or 1400MB. Now, in my e-mail inbox, I have 500 messeges. That is like 8MB. If everyone got 500 e-mails every hour constantly it still wouldent add up to close to what P2P is.

So... They are lying to me. So, we switched to Bell. Exact same price, but better service... One, they dont cap our internet speeds unfairly like rogers does. Second, there is no download limit. (Rogers has 80GB per month). Third, they have usenet newserver access. Rogers dropped theirs dec 15.

Funny to hear that an ISP is unleashing such counter-meassures in order to keep themselves from choking in bits & bytes of data trafic. In The Netherlands if one of the large recognized ISP's would announce such members I would be bankrupt the next day since all his clients would forfeit their account right away signing up with a provider which still delivers promised speeds.

xequence
January 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM
"They would make music and movie downloads slower so people can get their e-mail faster." so they are allowing illegal downloads? oh wait, you're in canada..

that sucks. anyway, have fun with bell.. (grr keyboard being an a$$h0l3..)

ISPs dont care about piracy unless it affects them, IE is alot of traffic on their servers or the RIAA contacts them.