View Full Version : Openoffice.org 3.1 is out today

GOROSSI
May 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Openoffice.org 3.1 is out today

http://www.openoffice.org :)

I suppose it will be in Jaunty's repo's soon

stwschool
May 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Probably not in main or universe, but eventually in backports. They tend to only include security fixes, not whole version upgrades.

SunnyRabbiera
May 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Indeed

spcwingo
May 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea (I haven't been following it as closely as I should).

After installing and fiddling with it a little I have found docx support to be better. :) A big kudos goes out to Sun for this release. I just have one thing left to do...donate to OpenOffice!

stwschool
May 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea (I haven't been following it as closely as I should).

After installing and fiddling with it a little I have found docx support to be better. :) A big kudos goes out to Sun for this release. I just have one thing left to do...donate to OpenOffice!
Full report please, how much better and what kinda things have been fixed?

GOROSSI
May 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I haven't tried on Ubuntu yet as I'm gaming today.

However my first impressions under Vista x64 are as follows:

1: extremely fast Loading It load's nearly as fast as notepad
which is saying something as previous open office version's were very slow though they improved loading times with each version

2: small but noticeable ui improvements

3: the whole experience was generally much faster and the speed improvements will probably make it run off a usb stick much faster, as trying to do that was very tedious

anyway off to quake live! I just hope that the Linux version of that isn't going to be too long :KS

sports fan Matt
May 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I seem to have Open Office, but can anyone confirm that is running it that the offical release is 3.1.0..build 9399?

spcwingo
May 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I seem to have Open Office, but can anyone confirm that is running it that the offical release is 3.1.0..build 9399?

Yes it is 9399.

As already mentioned it does load a little faster (I have tried the Win version and Linux). It actually displays images where it's supposed to on docx files created in MS Office '07 (on 3.0.1 I was having problems with images not being displayed in the correct place, if at all). That's about all I've really tested so far...the honey-do list came-a-calling. :(

RPG Master
May 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I have the OpenOffice repos set up but when I go to the update manager it shows me that their are updates for OOo but it want let me install them. Whats wrong :confused:

:(

sports fan Matt
May 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Has anyone else noticed the splash screen is still at 3.0?

konqueror7
May 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
yup, splash screen is still 3.0...:P

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
There's a walkthrough on how it install it here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-1-on-Ubuntu-9-04-111105.shtml