PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it worth upgrading to jaunty. Hardy works just fine?

Bigneil
May 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I am currently using hardy heron 8.04 . what advantages or advancements does jaunty offer?

zvacet
May 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
If you are happy with Hardy there is no reason to upgrade.Beside you will have to upgrade to Intrepid first and then to Jaunty or do the fresh install.But if Hardy works O.K. stay with it.

.nedberg
May 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
There will be newer versions of programs in Jaunty. OpenOffice 3 is the most significant, but I think you can get that in Hardy too.

If you don't miss anything and don't have any issues with Hard it is completely up to your taste. Do you want "bleeding edge" or are you happy with stable and tested software?

I am on Jaunty, but I use Kubuntu so I have other reasons (more recent KDE4).

louieb
May 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Have Hardy on the desktop and Jaunty on the laptop.

Jaunty has updated software such as Open Office 3. A new notification area that pretty nice. And a few bugs that Hardy does not have, such as can't move panels by drag and drop.

I like having Jaunty on the laptop but not going to upgrade my desktop.

prgsdw
May 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
As for the drag and drop, it's there in Jaunty. You just have to hold down the <alt> key then drag and drop. Now I'm not defending *why* they made this change, because, frankly, I don't like it this way, but it does work.

Bigneil
May 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
When will support and upgrades and for hardy stop. will it have a finite life. ?

when i first tried ubuntu it was feisty fawn on an old laptop. then gutsy then i went to hardy on my desktop and my laptop. i tried intrepid on an old project laptop that i was given a couple of months ago, but it didn't work out and i put hardy on that one too. when i i really think about it, i never really noticed much difference between any of them.

any one still using older versions??

Bigneil
May 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry if my last post upset any of the clever people who poured their blood sweat and tears into designing the different versions of Ubuntu. I'm sure there are some real differences down in the nitty gritty of the programming etc. but to an uneducated computer pleb like me, all the Ubuntu flavors are very similar. what sort of differences do they have under the surface?

khelben1979
May 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I am currently using hardy heron 8.04 . what advantages or advancements does jaunty offer?

At DistroWatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu) you have some brief comparisons between different versions of Ubuntu. I think you'll find it of value.

.nedberg
May 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
When will support and upgrades and for hardy stop. will it have a finite life. ?

Have a look here: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/ubuntu/release-cycle

Hardy is LTS, Intrepid and Jaunty is not.

I agree, they all look the same! But there are differences under the hood, and different versions of programs. If it works, don't fix it!

louieb
May 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
As for the drag and drop, it's there in Jaunty. You just have to hold down the <alt> key then drag and drop...

Thanks, that was bugging me. Guess I should read the release notes.:rolleyes:

Bigneil
May 11th, 2009, 07:54 AM
thanks guys, i'll go and read up on the links you posted.

Aearenda
May 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM
If you have an older ATI video card, or an Intel video, it's well worth staying put on Hardy. ATI have dropped support for older cards in their latest driver, and Intel are in the midst of re-jigging theirs, so there are performance regressions.

Bigneil
May 12th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If you have an older ATI video card, or an Intel video, it's well worth staying put on Hardy. ATI have dropped support for older cards in their latest driver, and Intel are in the midst of re-jigging theirs, so there are performance regressions.

interesting ! im using an older pc with an ATI video card (radeon 9200)

i'll stick with Hardy for now. However, i have decided to give Xubuntu Jaunty a go on the ancient project laptop.

Wish me luck.

eentonig
May 12th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If you're happy with your current install, the only real reason to upgrade is when support stops for your current distribution.

And since you're running a LTS version, you're set for a a few years. By that time, you can try to install the new LTS and sit back again for another couple of years.

Aearenda
May 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Xubuntu isn't as light as it could be either - but good luck indeed. I find LXDE better on old hardware, or even plain XFCE on a minimal Jaunty installation rather than the full Xubuntu setup.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware definitely shows your 9200 as 'legacy'.

netwarriorwy
May 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I was using Intrepid until last week when I did a fresh Jaunty installation and right now I have two problems:

1. Sometimes (twice a day) Firefox crashes with no reason, apparently.
2. When you switch to full screen on flash videos they look chobby and kinda slow.

Besides that I'm happy with some new looks it has.

Btw Open Office 3.0.0 is more stable than 3.0.1

Good Luck with Xubuntu:popcorn:

Bigneil
May 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Xubuntu isn't as light as it could be either - but good luck indeed. I find LXDE better on old hardware, or even plain XFCE on a minimal Jaunty installation rather than the full Xubuntu setup.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware definitely shows your 9200 as 'legacy'.

I am having a small niggle with flash at the moment. youtube videos dont work on full screen mode. i tried to fix it by uninstalling the flash player and then re-installing it from 'add/remove applications' to no avail.

could this be a symptom of drivers for my video card rather than flash??

The xubuntu appears to work quite well on the old laptop :)

meeples
May 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i noticed that in jaunty moniter support is alot better.

i used to have problems with my moniter in hardy and intrepid, i couldnt set the resolution as high as i needed but in jaunty it works perfect:)

Aearenda
May 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Your old laptop must be rather better than mine! Lucky you :-)

Flash behaviour can most certainly be affected by the video driver - there are bound to be threads around about improving Flash performance on Radeon gear.

Bigneil
May 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Your old laptop must be rather better than mine! Lucky you :-)

Flash behaviour can most certainly be affected by the video driver - there are bound to be threads around about improving Flash performance on Radeon gear.

LOL it's an old compaq armada originally had windows millenium on it. 700Mhz intel processor, i popped in a couple of ram chips to help it along.

thanks, ill do a search for radeon related threads.

netwarriorwy
May 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Lol! I used to have an old Pentium 4 with an ATI 64 MB card ...at that time that was awesome but right now I just use it to test some things...

PS.: I'm following a Graphic Cards sticky guide in the Audio & Multimedia forum to get my graphics work in a decent way...wish me luck ):P