PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Apple taking and never giving.

JimmyJazz
January 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM
count the ways
Apache, KHTML, X, BSD and so on...
Apple has been profiting from Open Source for years but what have they done for the Open Source world? They won't even make an iTunes for Linux.

xequence
January 10th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Apple is normally considered the good guys in the tech world. Standing up to the big bad microsoft.

But noone knows that behind that cool looking OSX is... A company worse then microsoft.

JimmyJazz
January 10th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Apple is normally considered the good guys in the tech world. Standing up to the big bad microsoft.

But noone knows that behind that cool looking OSX is... A company worse then microsoft.

Apple is just as secretive and under handed as Microsoft they just have a nice clean image.

stimpack
January 10th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Oh yes Apple would be just as bad as Microsoft in their positions were reversed. People like them because they are the underdogs, but they are not good guys.

The silly BSD license lets them get away with it, but has also lumbered them with a now discredited micro-kernal architechture, more spinning beachballs than win3.1 had spinning hourglasses.

Derek Djons
January 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM
count the ways
Apache, KHTML, X, BSD and so on...
Apple has been profiting from Open Source for years but what have they done for the Open Source world? They won't even make an iTunes for Linux.

What took you so long to find out :)
The company is as corporate as corporate can be. But if the company will continue acting the way it is it will slowly gain the same reputation as Microsoft.

drizek
January 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM
apple does suck, however, they arent ALL bad. khtml was pretty bad at one point, then the k devs got pissed off and then apple created webcore, which has contributed to some of the advancements in konqueror in kde 3.5. the reason thedevs got pissed off in the first place was because they put a lot of work into konqui for kde 3.4, and apple got all the credit, even though their code was pretty much useless.

This certianly wasnt intended, but in kde 4, we will be able to use dashboard widgets under KDE. Kopete has also added support for adiumX styles, which kinda sorta wouldnt exist if it wasnt for apple.

anyway, apple just pisses me off. they use crappy proprietary audio codecs, yet at the same time they talk about how open the h.264 video codec they use is. theyve spent the past 4 years talking about how much pcs sucked, and now their selling a pc notebook with an apple logo.

xequence
January 11th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Apple is just as secretive and under handed as Microsoft they just have a nice clean image.

I know. Thats what I said.

JimmyJazz
January 11th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I know. Thats what I said.

Heh yeah I was just agreeing

BWF89
January 11th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Apple hasn't broken any licences. The BSD people don't care about people taking their programs and not giving back. They just like to program while their at it why not let someone use the code to make their life a little easier.

Linux programers do what they do because they hate Microsoft. BSD programmers do what they do because they love UNIX.

maruchan
January 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Linux programers do what they do because they hate Microsoft.

Eh? Can you provide proof that Linux programmers hate Microsoft? I think that is a stereotype. Also, sometimes I think BSD developers enjoy obscurity more than they enjoy UNIX ;) (joking)

JimmyJazz
January 11th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Apple hasn't broken any licences. The BSD people don't care about people taking their programs and not giving back. They just like to program while their at it why not let someone use the code to make their life a little easier.

True but it would be nice to see them at least acknowledge Linux, why should I have to have OS X or windows to use my iPod when Linux is the second most used OS .

Linux programers do what they do because they hate Microsoft. BSD programmers do what they do because they love UNIX.

Thats just not true.

prizrak
January 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM
True but it would be nice to see them at least acknowledge Linux, why should I have to have OS X or windows to use my iPod when Linux is the second most used OS .

According to latest statistics OS X is the second most used OS on the desktop at about 3.5% Linux only has like 2% of the market.

otake-tux
January 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Sometime apple can be worse than microsoft.

the ipod and itunes, anyone?

potrick
January 11th, 2006, 06:43 AM
You see, to me what Apple does with the Apple computer is much worse than what Microsoft does.

Microsoft is seen as being a bad company because it bundles software with its operating system to destroy competators. For example, IE killing Netscape or Windows Media Player making it less likely that anyone buys a dedicated media playing program. So they control a lot more of the market than they should.

To me, part of having a monopoly is using your power to sell unrelated products. So, to use the classic example, if I own all the worlds cheese and then start including crackers with every purchase of cheese, I'm going to pur a lot of cracker companies out of buisness.

So yeah, what microsoft does is essentually a monopolistic practice.

But now think of Mac. Not only are they bundeling a web browser, media players (one of which you need to register for 50 dollars just to get full screen, I might add) and even audio editing software with their operating system, but they even go so far as to say to even use this software you need to buy their hardware, which is very well marketed and "hip". They are selling all the worlds cheese along with free crackers in a very expensive and trendy box that costs way more than it should. And you can't get no cheese if you don't buy the box.

And yet they are seen as the good guys, just because they are not Microsoft and they occasionally use open source software. At least Microsoft has the decency to pretend we Linux users don't exist, but Mac builds their software using open source technology (even their much hyped ability to network with windows computers is based on something Ubuntu users know very well--Samba).

In conclusion, I agree with everyone when they say that Mac is no better than Microsoft.

benplaut
January 11th, 2006, 07:00 AM
This certianly wasnt intended, but in kde 4, we will be able to use dashboard widgets under KDE

i read the /. article on that thorougly, and it seemed to suggest dashboard-inspired widgets... not compatible. /. titles, once again, are misleading.

fuscia
January 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM
apple should start making lunch pails. with that, and the ipod, they could rule the world of secondary education.

Iandefor
January 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Linux programers do what they do because they hate Microsoft. BSD programmers do what they do because they love UNIX. Last I checked, Linus didn't have some kind of vendetta out to kill Microsoft.
But I can't speak on the BSD thing; I don't have any experience with BSD.

prizrak
January 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Anyone who thinks that Linux hackers are there to destroy MS needs to drink some Ubuntu Brew Coffee :) There are ALOT of people that hate MS but that hate has very little to do with the OS itself. I highly dislike MS (don't give a damn enough to hate them) but at the same time I give their OS certain respect and recognition. 2K/XP are pretty good OS's there are many things wrong with them sure but they are not horrible by a long shot. I have yet to beat my XP/2K uptime with Linux (not cuz Linux ever crashed on me) they both run for about the same amount of time before I turn off/reboot/kick the computer.
Both Linux and BSD and just about any FOSS developer just wants to create good software companies like Red Hat, Novell, and Mandriva that directly compete with Windows also don't actually HATE it but they do COMPETE, which means that they want you to use THEIR product (notice not Linux in general) rather than the competitors that is normal.
As far as Apple goes I hihgly dislike them as well, I don't like stupid companies, which they are being with still trying to sell Mac OS. Apple should have converted to producing nothing but hardware years ago since they missed MS's move and couldn't block it. They should have opened their hardware long before IBM decided to even poke their nose into the PC market, they could have easily dominated it with the OS they created. MS didn't even have a GUI and still gained the market because the hardware was much cheaper. Apple screwed up decades ago, it's screwing up now and I will dance a happy dance when that company dies and will never be remembered (although I will feel bad for all the people who will lose their jobs). Having said that I wish MS the same fate or at the very least I want it to be split up into at least two companies.