PDA

View Full Version : New Mozilla based browser Wyzo

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 03:32 AM
The Linux version is not yet ready but I've running the Windows version in Wine (even installed Flash).

http://www.wyzo.com/

I must say I like it.

izizzle
May 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Looks interesting. The multi-surce downloading definately caught my eye. Can't wait for the Linux release!

Vostrocity
May 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Saw that on Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5234536/wyzo-web-browser-is-a-downloaders-dream). Not bad, but don't think it will catch on. Normal people will just use Firefox. And if you do that kinda media stuff a lot, then you probably already have all the extensions that make Wyzo what it is.

Giant Speck
May 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
So basically, this is just like Flock, but instead of being geared towards social networkers, it's geared towards media users.

Oh, and I love the theme they're using for it.

tbroderick
May 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Looks interesting. The multi-surce downloading definately caught my eye. Can't wait for the Linux release!

It's the FireDownload extension for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10615

itreius
May 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have never been impressed by those "download accelerators", and I would never let my browser handle torrents. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I like to think a browser is something I use for browsing, whereas a torrent client is something I'll leave on all day to seed. :P

glotz
May 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Took a look at the features and must say I have no idea why anybody would be excited... :confused:

loell
May 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
i was under the impression that firefox + coliris == wyzo

off topic

one of it's proponent is using is using twitter, and he followed me, so i followed him, after that, he unfollowed me ;) , I mean not that anyone would care but i don't think i would be using a product who uses a sneaky common tactic like that, to have a word of the mouth for its procducts. that's just me anyway.

Sand & Mercury
May 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Just looks like Firefox with Chrome skin and cooliris.

eragon100
May 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Took a look at the features and must say I have no idea why anybody would be excited... :confused:

It's just firefox with a couple of add-ons, that's true, but it can still be nice I think with the integrated download accelerator and bittorrent stuff :) I don't really like Opera's bittorrent client, altough it is basically a (very) nice browser.

I am running the windows version under wine right now and it works like a charm (just like regular firefox) so if anyone wants to try it out: just run the windows version for now :wink:

gjoellee
May 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It looks like Wyzo= Firefox + Some addons

Master Chief
May 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Having more browsers build on top of the Mozilla's code base can eventually only a good thing, and thus I can hardly wait for the next company or group of devoted developers to do things differently. Far away from Mozilla's "average Joe user won't need it, or my grandma won't understand this or that feature" attitude.

Note: The main reason for building your own browser (on top of Firefox) is money; because search is after all still the biggest income generator for the Mozilla Corporation and thus these people have 80 million reasons (read: dollar) to give it a try and cash in on it.

wersdaluv
May 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Nah. I'm fine with Firefox plus addons that would give me a browser that does everything Wyzo can do plus (a lot) more.

joshdudeha
May 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm using this on my mac, and it is faster than actual firefox on here.
I prefer it to Safari also, so it is my default browser now.

I really like it. I don't know why it's faster than firefox but it's not as sluggish on here ;D

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM
doesn't look like anything special really. opera has had bit torrent support out of the box for awhile now and "watch youtube videos right from your browser"? lol,ok.

drawkcab
May 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I have never been impressed by those "download accelerators", and I would never let my browser handle torrents. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I like to think a browser is something I use for browsing, whereas a torrent client is something I'll leave on all day to seed. :P

Amen.

northwestuntu
May 11th, 2009, 07:44 AM
they should have named it wino browser. then i would have tried it.

missmoondog
October 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
nope. nothing fancy, which is just like firefox. no sense in using either then!!

it ISN'T firefox though, so i'll try it and in fact have it installed on my windows machines.

don't use the stupid add ons anyway except flashblock. no support for adblock in this thing yet.

another in fact is that i just found abrowser for xubuntu. bye-bye firefox. almost thought i was going to be forced to keep that thing in xubuntu. yuck!