PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave your real name and email with blog comments?

Vostrocity
May 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Do you leave your real name and email with blog comments?

I'm talking about when you stumble upon a random blog and want to leave a comment, not the blogs that you visit everyday.

Personally I always just make up a random name and email because if doesn't matter if you're never going back to that blog. I don't get why they even ask for your email as they never really do anything with it. Supposedly they send you an email to confirm your comment, but I rarely see a blog that actually does that (because no one's gonna spam a blog that 10 people read). And that brings me to my second point, how do you know that they won't do something with your email (like selling it to the dark side)? :)

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I have three email addresses. One for work, business transactions and personal stuff. Another for anonymous blog postings. And another to sign up to any old crap site that requests an account in order to work properly. I never reveal my real identity on blogs, forums or any other place: I don't really see the need to do so.

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I usually decline to comment if I have to create an account. Otherwise I use a nickname and the email address: thatone@there.com

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I usually decline to comment if I have to create an account. Otherwise I use a nickname and the email address: thatone@there.com

So you're the ******* who keeps sending me email!

monsterstack. email me at thatone@there.com

ubuntu27
May 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I never leave my real name, but I do leave my real e-mail address.

Vostrocity
May 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
So you're the ******* who keeps sending me email!

monsterstack. email me at thatone@there.com
:lolflag:

MikeTheC
May 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I can't say "never", but not usually. First name yes, last name... not so much. I do like to enjoy at least a modicum of anonymity.

stwschool
May 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM
There are enough freaks out there that I keep my real name to myself.

Sealbhach
May 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
There are enough freaks out there that I keep my real name to myself.

Exactly. What do they want your email address for anyway?

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Exactly. What do they want your email address for anyway?

to help curb spam. sort of pointless really when i can name one up on the fly and post a comment.

but to the OP: never.

happysmileman
May 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
First name usually, last name never, though I occassionally use my second initial.

Email address usually.

Einsamkeit
May 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've been a tad paranoid lately about those issues.
I never ever leave my real name, and I'm careful where I put my Hotmail address (I never put my "real"/"official" email address anywhere but on official documents and such). I'm down to the point where my accounts are registered under a fake persona, with a consistent fake name, location and birth date.. xD

And when I really want to comment on something, I just put in bogus info such as the "thatone@there.com" one said earlier in this thread.

gnomeuser
May 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I leave my real name (or a known nick like gnomeuser if I for some technical reason can't put my real name). I find it important to both let people know who I am, it seems important to stand by your words and admit when I am wrong to me - call it honesty.

Vostrocity
May 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
to help curb spam. sort of pointless really when i can name one up on the fly and post a comment.

but to the OP: never.

Actually big blogs (that spammers target) sometimes send you a confirmation email that lets you activate your comment. What I don't get is why all blogging platforms require an email for commenters even if the blogger turns off comment confirmation. :o

trentscott4
May 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Actually big blogs (that spammers target) sometimes send you a confirmation email that lets you activate your comment. What I don't get is why all blogging platforms require an email for commenters even if the blogger turns off comment confirmation. :o

I don't get that either. I can attest that for forums, the larger DB of emails the better so you can mass email your members (another annoying, but separate issue). For blogs, good old a@a.com seems to work for me on 99% of the platforms that haven't installed an anti-spam filter (even works with Akismet on WP).

will1911a1
May 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I don't leave my real name and e-mail ANYWHERE on the internet.

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I don't get that either. I can attest that for forums, the larger DB of emails the better so you can mass email your members (another annoying, but separate issue). For blogs, good old a@a.com seems to work for me on 99% of the platforms that haven't installed an anti-spam filter (even works with Akismet on WP).

Actually I just remembered that Blogger lets you comment Anon. Hurray for Google. Not only that they also let you use your GMail, OpenID, Wordpress, AIM, and more.

Mehall
May 15th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I generally give my real email address, and I use my nickname (mehall) though sometimes I will use "Michael Douglas", which is my real name, but still gives me anonymity xD

if I don't like the look of the blog, and don't want to use my real address, then I don't leave the comment, even though I have spam@mehall.co.cc to take all spam it can get.

bashveank
May 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Eh, way to many people with my name for it to have any meaning on the internet. I try to use the same screen name everywhere though, and it's pretty unique...

t0p
May 15th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I try not to associate my real name with my online persona(s). Some people may think I'm being paranoid, but I don't want to fall victim to an ID harvester.

If you've got a spare couple of hours, you might want to check out these (https://media.defcon.org/dc-16/video/Defcon16-Hamiel-Moyer-Attacking_Social_Networks.m4v) videos (https://media.defcon.org/dc-16/video/Defcon16-Greg_Conti-Google_Take_Down.m4v). It's amazing how much personal info is on the net and how easy it is to collect and use it.

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I remember back in the early 2ks giving out personal info on the web was a big no. But nowadays you can pretty much find out anything about anyone, and many times the person puts it up themselves (FaceBook). That also makes me feel safer about giving out info though because if there are so many people out there who are doing the same why would anyone target me?b:o