PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Urgently need help with network & Internet

iClouseau88
May 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Hello all,

Recently upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty. Has wired but lost wireless connection. Followed the instruction from AnthraxMouthwash. Downloaded wicd deb package and hit enter. Completely removed Network Manager and network-manager-gnome. Now I cannot get to the Internet, cannot update or do anything with Synaptic or Software Sources because I get error message like "cannot resolve archive.ubuntu.com" or "cannot locate google".

Please help me find the wicd package (wicd_1.5.9.2...all.deb) because I went to nearly all the folders but cannot locate it. Where do I find any package that Gdebi just installed?

I appreciate your help.

:confused:

73ckn797
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Hello all,

Recently upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty. Has wired but lost wireless connection. Followed the instruction from AnthraxMouthwash. Downloaded wicd deb package and hit enter. Completely removed Network Manager and network-manager-gnome. Now I cannot get to the Internet, cannot update or do anything with Synaptic or Software Sources because I get error message like "cannot resolve archive.ubuntu.com" or "cannot locate google".

Please help me find the wicd package (wicd_1.5.9.2...all.deb) because I went to nearly all the folders but cannot locate it. Where do I find any package that Gdebi just installed?

I appreciate your help.

:confused:

Are you saying you first installed WICD then deleted Network Manager?

iClouseau88
May 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I am not sure exactly what happened. When I downloaded the deb package some gdebi autoinstall menu item appears so I hit Enter. Then I got a message saying to the effect Network manager is being intefered with, so I used Synaptic to completely remove both network manager and network-manager-gnome. Now how can I do s system restore like in Windows and how do I find wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb in my machine?

cariboo
May 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Wicd will show up in synaptic if you do a search for it. Once you have uninstalled wicd you will need to reinstall network-manager-gnome and network-manager, if you have done a recent install and haven't used computer janitor or run apt-get clean and apt-get autoremove, the packages should still be in /var/cache/apt/archives.

richaoj
May 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
or just look in applications -> internet -> wicd

if you installed wicd it should be there

iClouseau88
May 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hello my BC friend,

Update #1:

I am getting somewhere: Downloaded and saved the pkg to USB key then copied it to Home folder in Ubuntu machine. Installed wicd. Found it very difficult to set up. I cannot see a window to enter my passphrase unless I tick on "autoconnect..". Even when I finally get the screen to show connected (to wired network...IP 192.168.x.y" I still get page load error. This is way more difficult than it should be. I may have to consider re-installing network manager and wait for Canonical to fix NM.

Update #2:

I finally get wired connection to the net. I still find wicd more clunky to set up than network manager. May consider going back to NM.

superprash2003
May 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM
post output of lshw -C network from your terminal

iClouseau88
May 10th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Here's the output:

~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 03
serial: 00:00:39:8d:b4:2c
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k6-NAPI firmware=N/A ip=192.168.10.102 latency=64 maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 01
serial: 00:15:e9:d9:d1:f0
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath5k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: eth1
serial: 00:02:2d:26:70:1c
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15 firmware=Lucent/Agere 6.14 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 86:cb:85:69:fe:37
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

iClouseau88
May 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Still no wireless connection whether in NM or wicd (wired connection is OK).

1) Should I stay with the current ath5k driver or should I try madwifi-0.9.4 driver? Ath5k driver used to works in Intrepid, i.e. providing both wired and wireless connections up until upgrading to Jaunty.

2) How do I install madwifi-0.9.4 driver after downloading it?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

iClouseau88
May 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
bump

Sef
May 11th, 2009, 04:32 AM
bump

Please don't bump unless 24 hours have gone by with no response. It is frustrating to have to wait for help.

iClouseau88
May 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry I didn't know the rule.

superprash2003
May 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
you seem to have drivers.. try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1028541

iClouseau88
May 12th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Problem solved. I check the router and found that type of encryption was TKIP+EAP, and radio broadcast was disabled. I changed encryption to TKIP+PSK for WPA and ennabled radio broadcast so that wireless clients can pick up the signal. Then I installed Network Manager through Synaptic which automatically shows option to remove Wicd. After reboot, I have both autoconnection to either wired or wireless.

73ckn797
May 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Go back to your first post and edit the title by inserting [SOLVED] in the title. It could be a help to others.