PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resizing Windows Partition

bardu
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Hi there,

on my laptop I run Ubuntu in dual boot mode. Now that my Windows partition is full I'm wondering whether Ubuntu offers any tools to resize partitions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stephan

andrea000
May 10th, 2009, 02:53 AM
there's gparted in ubuntu and there is a live cd of it to you can download here (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)

benign
May 10th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I personally boot Puppy Linux from a liveCD, which includes GParted and a bunch of other utilities. I just used it today for performing a 4+ hour partition operation. You can browse the internet while you resize :P

AopicieR
May 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Be careful as windows may not boot anymore after resizing the partition. It happened to me and you can find many topics discussing such an issue in this forum. For me it wasn't that bad though as I could still access the partition from within linux to secure all my files and it was the moment I finally decided to get rid of windows altogether. But if you want to continue using it be careful.

bardu
May 15th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

However, I figured out how to disable hibernate on Vista and that freed up 3.9 GB on my windows partition. That should be enough for my testing need on Vista.