PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Local network but no internet

defort
May 10th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I am clearly a newbie. I had Ubuntu installed on my computer by a student at the university. Wired and wireless connections work at the university. When I bring the computer home I can not get the internet on my wired or wireless system (all other computers are working). On the wired network at home I can see and access the other computers using the Ubuntu computer so I know the hardware is not the issue. It may be that the sign-in I use at the university has been set as a default and it does not work for the home network (different sign-in). Of course I have no real idea and do not know where to find or change the settings. Can anybody advise or recommend a solution?

Iowan
May 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
If you can see/access local machines, but cannot get to internet, it's possible that the gateway address is wrong. Usually, DHCP server tells machine where to look. Does your machine use DHCP?

abn91c
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
right click on your network connection icon>edit connections>wireless tab
then enter your networks SSID and wireless security key, make sure you save the settings and the "connect automatically" Box is checked

defort
May 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
right click on your network connection icon>edit connections>wireless tab
then enter your networks SSID and wireless security key, make sure you save the settings and the "connect automatically" Box is checked

Mode: Should this be Infrastructure or Ad-hoc

defort
May 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
If you can see/access local machines, but cannot get to internet, it's possible that the gateway address is wrong. Usually, DHCP server tells machine where to look. Does your machine use DHCP?

Yes DHCP is used. For the Wired connection interface: Ethernet (eth0) the IP Address shown in the Active Network Connections is the IP Address of the Barricade Broadband Router. Other Windows computers wired to the router work.

Is there something in Ubuntu I must do?

abn91c
May 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
infrastructure mode