PDA

View Full Version : After tons of wish washing and errors and things, I'm going with Crunchbang.

gymophett
May 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
My computer will do best with Crunchbang dual-booted with Vista, how much different will things run in Crunchbang that in Ubuntu? Faster? Less bugs? Harder? etc.
I know it is based on Ubuntu, but how is it?

Will it be harder to dual-boot than Ubuntu was?

Dr_Willis
May 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
From what little i used Crunchbang, (i dident find it that impressive)
You could have a close setup by using ubuntu, and insatlling the openbox window manager. (I may be over simplifing things)

The Modular nature of linux makes variants like crunchbang very easy to do.

Use it if you like, it may have some extra tools and features you like that are not in Ubuntu. The fundamentals of it are still going to be Ubuntu.

One thing to watch out for is that any requests for 'support' may get the 'go ask on the crunchbang forum/chat rooms' answer. :o

gymophett
May 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
From what little i used Crunchbang, (i dident find it that impressive)
You could have a close setup by using ubuntu, and insatlling the openbox window manager. (I may be over simplifing things)

The Modular nature of linux makes variants like crunchbang very easy to do.

Use it if you like, it may have some extra tools and features you like that are not in Ubuntu. The fundamentals of it are still going to be Ubuntu.

One thing to watch out for is that any requests for 'support' may get the 'go ask on the crunchbang forum/chat rooms' answer. :o

But since it's still based on Ubuntu, wouldn't it use the same repos, sudo, etc?

There are many people on here than don't use Ubuntu just because of the friendly community.

JECHO
May 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
My computer will do best with Crunchbang dual-booted with Vista, how much different will things run in Crunchbang that in Ubuntu? Faster? Less bugs? Harder? etc.
I know it is based on Ubuntu, but how is it?

Will it be harder to dual-boot than Ubuntu was?

If your machine can run vista why use #!?

ubuntu is much more stable, requires much less configuration, and have much better support. If i were you i would use ubuntu, not crunchbang.

TheSlipstream
May 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Crunchbang appears more buggy to me. I say this from experience, my laptop has been and is still (until I can be bothered installing Jaunty or something) Crunchbang 8.04. Almost every program gives me an error when I start. All these new folders appear every restart for some bizarre reason, including a todo, which I delete every time. I also have a mild suspicion that it isn't allowing the laptop screen to have full brightness, but who really knows...

If you just can't get Openbox configured yourself (and it isn't that hard (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/)) then give it a shot. Otherwise, it's better to just do it yourself.

gymophett
May 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM

ubuntu is much more stable, requires much less configuration, and have much better support. If i were you i would use ubuntu, not crunchbang.

My computer has very high specs, 4GB DDR3, but my graphics card isn't supported, and I just wanna try something new. :)

pat23_2007
May 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
My computer has very high specs, 4GB DDR3, but my graphics card isn't supported, and I just wanna try something new. :)

I have been with Crunchbang for awhile now, I can say that it runs a lot better on my machine than Ubuntu does, this is not really the reason I use it as I too have a high spec machine. If you want to use it, then use it. It has a great community, and it does use the same repo's and such from ubuntu, but has a few extras too.

monsterstack
May 10th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Crunchbang appears more buggy to me. I say this from experience, my laptop has been and is still (until I can be bothered installing Jaunty or something) Crunchbang 8.04. Almost every program gives me an error when I start. All these new folders appear every restart for some bizarre reason, including a todo, which I delete every time. I also have a mild suspicion that it isn't allowing the laptop screen to have full brightness, but who really knows...

If you just can't get Openbox configured yourself (and it isn't that hard (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/)) then give it a shot. Otherwise, it's better to just do it yourself.

+1 to urukrama's openbox guide. I've had 8.04 on my ancient lappy for over a year and it still runs solid as a rock.

gymophett
May 10th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I'm on my Crunchbang Live USB, and I love it so far! Everything works perfectly. About to install!:D

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM

why not use it? i have vista and #! on my laptop and both are flawless for over two months now.

configuration in #!? i had zero configuring to do when i installed it, so not sure where you get that from.

MaxIBoy
May 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
You realize crunchbang is Ubuntu with a lighter desktop, right?

If crunchbang works and Ubuntu doesn't, this means it's probably the desktop that's buggy, not Ubuntu itself.

XubuRoxMySox
May 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Crunchbang is one of the most successful "Ubuntu Lite" variants out there. I've been using it for a few weeks now and it's lean, mean, and fast. I added a very lightweight desktop environment (LXDE) to mine (Crunchbang doesn't come with a DE, only the OPenbox Window Manager). The little bugs I get in Crunchbang are LXDE's bugs, not Crunchbang's.

It's my "default" OS now. Still get all the great Ubuntu repositories, and these forums are still very useful to Crunchbang users (as well as Crunchbang's own forums).

-Robin

snowpine
May 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I think Crunchbang is the best Ubuntu-based distro, whether your computer is fast or slow. :) Welcome to the club!

stwschool
May 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I like Crunchbang and have found it useful in certain situations but as I'm not too worried about speed on my main PC, I instead focus on my UI, and by messing with gnome-do, compiz and gnome I've found the perfect minimal, fast and incredibly efficient set-up for me.

mantisdolphin
May 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I'd love to put Crunchbang on my Dell Mini 9, but when I tried to make a flashdrive install of the crunchbang-lite-9.04.01.i386.iso (using unetbootin-windows-323.exe), I'd get a menu at boot that only gave me the choice of "default" but no Crunchbang. This sucked.

I figure Crunchbang can handle the Dell's Broadcom wireless b/c the pre-installed Ubuntu (Hardy) does, but maybe that's a wrong assumption. When I tried to install Slax on a thumbdrive for the Dell mini, Slax booted fine (nice desktop!), but despite the manufacturer making a Linux driver and despite some good and detailed help posts at the Slax forums, I couldn't get the wireless card to work. Without the internet connection the NETbook is not able to do what it's meant to do. Puppy was the same way--got the flashdrive install but no luck with the Broadcom driver.

snowpine
May 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'd love to put Crunchbang on my Dell Mini 9, but when I tried to make a flashdrive install of the crunchbang-lite-9.04.01.i386.iso (using unetbootin-windows-323.exe), I'd get a menu at boot that only gave me the choice of "default" but no Crunchbang. This sucked.

I figure Crunchbang can handle the Dell's Broadcom wireless b/c the pre-installed Ubuntu (Hardy) does, but maybe that's a wrong assumption. When I tried to install Slax on a thumbdrive for the Dell mini, Slax booted fine (nice desktop!), but despite the manufacturer making a Linux driver and despite some good and detailed help posts at the Slax forums, I couldn't get the wireless card to work. Without the internet connection the NETbook is not able to do what it's meant to do. Puppy was the same way--got the flashdrive install but no luck with the Broadcom driver.

CrunchBang 9.04 is still in final testing and hasn't been officially released. You might want to wait another week or two for the final release. I can verify that CrunchBang 8.10 runs great on the Dell Mini 9 and supports the Broadcom wireless out-of-the-box. The only fix that was necessary was the well-documented audio fix (same as Ubuntu 8.10, see here: http://www.ubuntumini.com/2008/10/installing-ubuntu-on-dell-inspiron-mini.html).

drawkcab
May 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM

How is your graphics card not supported??? :confused:

snowpine
May 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM

CrunchBang uses Ubuntu as its core system, so if Ubuntu doesn't support your graphics card, neither will CrunchBang...

I bet it is supported though. :)

gymophett
May 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
How is your graphics card not supported??? :confused:

I have an ATI Radeon 3100, and in 9.04, the new Xorg update doesn't let me enable 3D desktop effects. Is there a work around?

mantisdolphin
June 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
CrunchBang 9.04 is still in final testing and hasn't been officially released. You might want to wait another week or two for the final release. I can verify that CrunchBang 8.10 runs great on the Dell Mini 9 and supports the Broadcom wirelhttps://lscs-cas1.lscs.prv/auth/perfigo_cm_validate.jsp ess out-of-the-box. The only fix that was necessary was the well-documented audio fix (same as Ubuntu 8.10, see here: http://www.ubuntumini.com/2008/10/installing-ubuntu-on-dell-inspiron-mini.html).

I'd just like to report that I do have Crunchbang running on my Dell mini 9, loaded Crunchbang 9.04 lite about a month ago, and that the broadcom card has not been a problem. I'm totally digging Crunchbang and the Conky.:D

CJ Master
June 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM

So, people have now gone to blatant lies to keep people using Ubuntu. That's nice.

Much more stable? Crunchbang is based off ubuntu. There are small differences, but nothing that would change stability.

Requires less configuration? Right. Give me one example. Just one. =]

Much better support? You forget the underlying system is STILL UBUNTU. All of the other solutions will still work.

XubuRoxMySox
June 25th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Crunchbang is minimal Ubuntu with no desktop environment at all - just the Openbox window manager and some well-chosen applications and settings, plus quite a bit of their own unique wicked-kewl Crunchbangy stuff. The forums are helpful and friendly, and almost Crunchbanger relies as much on Ubuntu forums as their own forums.

There's no need for anyone to feel like Crunchbang is taking anything away from Ubuntu. Quite the opposite is true. Both distros support and help each other in ways that are impossible to calculate. They enjoy a good relationship. Developers and end-users from both camps help one another out and improve upon each other's work - and we all benefit.

-Robin