PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very Slow 9.04 download

lakelovers
May 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've been trying to upgrade 8.04 to 9.04, but the download speed is incredibly slow. I have DSL, which works at an acceptable speed but this upgrade is downloading at less than 1K, and will take days to complete. I complained to my ISP but was told that the DSL line is giving my about 350kp. So, apparently the problem is with the Ubuntu server. What do you suggest? Should I wait for a month or so until the mad rush is past?

sports fan Matt
May 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Wouldnt you have to go 8.04>8.10>9.04? As far as I know you cant go straight from 8.04 to 9.04

NetworkGuy
May 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Are you using a Linksys router?? My router is extremely slow when pulling from the repositories,but speedy everywhere else? WRT54G I think is the model #

lakelovers
May 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I "misspoke." I have 8.10 rather than 8.04, which I'm not sure exists.

Yes, I have a Linksys router, model WRT54G. Is that my problem? Other downloads work at reasonable speeds. If that's the problem what can I do short of buying an other brand of router. What brand works better?

lovinglinux
May 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I don't think the problem is the ISP or the router. I have the same model btw.

When I installed Jaunty I had to download all my personal applications at the same time and the speed was incredibly slow. So I changed the source server and everything went well, pretty fast.

Open "System >> Administration >> Software Sources", click the "Download from" drop-down menu and select "Other", then hit "Select Best Server" or manually select a server near you.

lakelovers
May 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. The downloads now are significant speeder than before.