PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get a Mac Dock?

andrewwg94
May 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
i installed cairo dock. But i can only use the default theme for some reason.

OurSpace
May 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM
What window manager are you using? Enlighenment 17 has one built in by default and is actually part of the window manager, and integrated with all of the setup functions, etc.. Also, do you login to linux os, and then type 'Startx" or do you have a window manager login screen, or do you go directly to the desktop upon boot up (after kernel loads and all) These are good things to know to provide a quality answer for you. A lot of people use custom window managers, do you? If so What?
OurSpace

andrea000
May 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Cairo dock is a little odd at first i use it but took me forever
to learn how.Awn is the mac dock for linux thats what they say
it's in the repo's i have not had much luck in getting it to do
what i would like it to do but maybe you will.

andrewwg94
May 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM
What window manager are you using? Enlighenment 17 has one built in by default and is actually part of the window manager, and integrated with all of the setup functions, etc.. Also, do you login to linux os, and then type 'Startx" or do you have a window manager login screen, or do you go directly to the desktop upon boot up (after kernel loads and all) These are good things to know to provide a quality answer for you. A lot of people use custom window managers, do you? If so What?
OurSpace

just normal gnome ubuntu 9.04 with the default effects manager, compiz-fusion

agnes
May 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Because you already have compiz fusion enabled I'd personally recommend awn (cairo-dock also works without compiz), because I've had problems with cairo-dock (could not load themes indeed).
In awn you can easily add applets, and themes, to your dock.
Awn "crashes" sometimes on my computer (that is, the icons are suddenly gone), but then, when I open up a new window, they are immediately back in place.

You could also try Docky, it's more stable but has less graphical options - from what I've read and seen.

Also check this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=535383

noelvh
May 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I use Avant windows manager for my launcher. I love it but it dose require metacity, or compiz to run it. There is lots of themes and add ons. I installed with synapitc look for avant or awn.

Noel

OurSpace
May 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
If he is new to Linux (and I believe he said he was) then, in my opinion, a ready made windows manager that does not require a lot of setup, or tweaking, would suit him best. That being the case I would recommend 4 things. 1. getting an older version of linus (according to his computer spacs.) 2. Login naturally as regular user, open a terminal window and type 'su' and logging in as root. 3. Once logged in as root, type 'synaptic' and if it starts (as it should) do a search for 'e-16' or 'enlightenment' and find Enlightenment1.6, check the box next to it, click appyly, let it download, let it install, reboot, and 4. Enjoy. You will have a ready made desktop that has a menu full of your apps, etc.. there is a Super Small learning curve with the menu system, but it is a very very small learning curve. If you can not get into synaptics, go to 'www.google.com/linux' and do some research.
Those are just my suggestions, some will agree, some wont.
OurSpace