PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replace Vista with Ubuntu (not duel boot)

ripzippysf
May 10th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I want to replace Vista on my laptop with Ubuntu. This is going to be my first attempt at Linux. Is there an option during the installation to format the partition before installing Ubuntu? If not, what do I need to do to prep my computer? I don't want to make another partition.

I'm going to install the 64 bit version on an HP Pavilion dv2000 with an AMD Turion 64x2 processor with 4 gigs of ram.... is there anything I need to know that's going to be a massive screw up before I do this?

nzhambo
May 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
As it is your first time with Ubuntu, you should be absolutely sure you want to ditch Windows in favour of Ubuntu.
Perhaps you should use Wubi to put it on with out deleting Windows first, just so you can make sure you want Ubuntu. It could be a big change for a first timer.
But, if you decide to stick with Ubuntu, then welcome, and I hope you enjoy it!

lvleph
May 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
You also want to be sure that all your hardware plays nice with Ubuntu.

To answer your question; yes there is an option to reformat the entire hard drive. As a warning, I would personally have a seperate home partition. This way if you change distributions you will still have your settings.

boyofford
May 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I salute you! very brave if your new to linux!

I'd wean yourself off vista if i were you, thats what I did.
I'd try creating a dual boot system first and when your comfortable switch completely, unless this is not your only machine.
Thats what I've just about done, though I still find the odd windows program from time to time which I want to run so I keep vista in a small partition just for those rare cases.

ripzippysf
May 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm willing to try new things and Vista sucks. I'm so tired of windows and don't mind working around things. I don't use Office or other programs on my home computer so I'm pretty safe making the switch. I use google for the most part so that makes it very easy. I know my ipod touch will not sync with ubuntu but, I can do that at the office until they find some workaround for it.

How large should I make the partition for ubuntu? And what size swap should I set if I have 4 gigs of ram?

lvleph
May 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I made my root partition (/ partition) 10GB, and then made a home partition (/home) 10GB, the rest of the drive is for media. For the swap I would just make it 1GB since you have 4GB RAM.