PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Advanced Screensaver settings?

MadCatmkII
May 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hi all

I'm making a half-hearted jab at converting my existance to linux and am therefore running Xubuntu. I have a loose memory of there being an "advanced settings" button in the screensaver settings window. This button would give access to screensaver specific settings. I'm positive it was there in 7.10 but I can't find it in 9.04 OR 8.10. Am I getting alzheimers?

MadCatmkII
May 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry, but this is a bump

mcduck
May 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
If you use xscreensaver you'll have settings for all your screensavers, if you use gnome-screensaver there is no settings. I'm not quite sure which one current Xubuntu version uses.

MadCatmkII
May 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
What do you know! I DO have gnome-screensaver installed. So would I be correct in assuming all I need to do is install xscreensaver and remove gnome-screensaver and everything will work as I expect (ie, screensavers still integrated into xfce)?

mcduck
May 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
What do you know! I DO have gnome-screensaver installed. So would I be correct in assuming all I need to do is install xscreensaver and remove gnome-screensaver and everything will work as I expect (ie, screensavers still integrated into xfce)?

Yep, that should do the trick. You might have to do something to make xscreensaver run by default, but at least in Gnome that worked pretty much automatically so would assume it to do that in XFCE as well (it's been a while since I used XFCE, and even longer since I used a screensaver).

MadCatmkII
May 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I tried it out on my netbook (running 8.10) and it worked like a charm. XScreensaver seems to be intelligent enough to fix the whole starting-automagically thing

Once more, thanks for your help!

morphx
January 31st, 2010, 04:35 AM
You may want to try "screensaver-settings (http://software.xfx.net/utilities/sss/index.htm)". This is small program designed to substitute "gnome-screensaver" for a more intuitive and easier to use application which includes a settings/options button to let you customize the screensavers.

A fully compatible version for Ubuntu 9.10 will be released in the upcoming days... (as time permits it)