PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freaking out after upgrading!!!

0per4t0r
May 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I just upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, and it started up in low-graphics mode for some reason, and now it's not running any x servers or something! I was an idiot, and i didn't get rid of outdated software packages before restarting, and I was thinking about using computer janitor to fix it. Do you have any advice?

cariboo
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Depending on what video card you have, just remove all the drivers using synaptic package manager, then restart in recovery mode and use

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

to create a default /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then type exit to continue on to your desktop where you should be able to install the proper drivers.

pbpersson
May 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I was thinking about using computer janitor to fix it. Do you have any advice?

I have heard that computer janitor goes a little crazy and starts throwing out stuff you really need.

0per4t0r
May 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have heard that computer janitor goes a little crazy and starts throwing out stuff you really need.
Can anyone verify this?

gaj1967
May 9th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I just upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, and it started up in low-graphics mode for some reason, and now it's not running any x servers or something! I was an idiot, and i didn't get rid of outdated software packages before restarting, and I was thinking about using computer janitor to fix it. Do you have any advice?

What kind of card are you using? I have a Nvidia and it went into low res also. The thread linked below helped me out.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146835

Gil

0per4t0r
May 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Okay, cariboo907 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=77104)'s advice worked fine, but now, after i installed all the packages for the nvidia drivers version 180, it won't show up in restricted drivers!! All I see is one simply called "nvidia," and nothing else, and I can't enable desktop effects or compiz.

0per4t0r
May 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Okay, problem solved.