PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] modem detection

GripTheRaven
May 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Want to get dialup for Ubuntu but have terrible trouble with modem detection. Which make and model of modem is most easily detectable please? Also is there anywhere on the forums instructing how to make modem detection work?
PS I am an absolute computing moron.

upchucky
May 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
you may have to use windows or google your machine specs to find out what type of modem is in the machine, there is a software modem (winmodem) that some manufactures were suckered into using by microsoft. these are not true modems and only work with microsoft software.

if you just bought the machine, you can return it cause it has a defective modem, it does not work. and is now an illegal device under the anti-competition act. it forces you to use only microsoft software which is anti competitive.

if you can prove the modem is not a win-modem, then it should work, but getting it to function may be a chore. there are posts here about modem battles, but you need to know what you have in the machine.

GripTheRaven
May 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks - but the base in question doesn't have a modem yet only an ethernet socket. I want to buy a modem for it for dialup as I'm skint and I want it to be one Linux can find easily. Sorry - should have specified that.