PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do?

scottuss
May 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone!

I've just finished my degree in Computing and am now looking for jobs in Linux / Open Source (I'd take pretty much anything right now!)

So I'm trawling through tonnes of job websites and see LOADS of listings for Windows / Microsoft / Other proprietary technology jobs. But only a few Linux ones (and they're mostly Perl or PHP development, which I don't really have a massive interest in)

So I was wondering, what do you all do? I guess some of you must work in Linux or Open Source positions?

Thanks in advance! :)

kahunamahalo
May 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
AutoCAD user

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm an IT teacher, started using Linux about 8 months ago now I think, and now have a lovely server running at the school on which I've built various web services to handle school reports, central secure file storage with version history, and a whole bunch of other stuff, as well as putting the staffroom computers on linux. I've just finished turning our computer lab to a dual-boot environment and damn it was so much easier setting up lots of computers on Linux than on Windows!

Before this I was a PHP programmer, but while the servers I uploaded sites to were always Linux (hence my awareness of it) I always worked in Windows. Mind, back then Linux was a bitch to use! If only I'd had Ubuntu back then!

scottuss
May 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm an IT teacher, started using Linux about 8 months ago now I think, and now have a lovely server running at the school on which I've built various web services to handle school reports, central secure file storage with version history, and a whole bunch of other stuff, as well as putting the staffroom computers on linux. I've just finished turning our computer lab to a dual-boot environment and damn it was so much easier setting up lots of computers on Linux than on Windows!

Before this I was a PHP programmer, but while the servers I uploaded sites to were always Linux (hence my awareness of it) I always worked in Windows. Mind, back then Linux was a bitch to use! If only I'd had Ubuntu back then!

I remember when I was at school (Sixth Form and University too actually..) The teachers weren't allowed to touch the IT equipment (even IT teachers!) It was all done by "special admins" as they used to call them. lol!

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Lucky teachers! They didn't have to do the maintenance. Trust me it's a pain in the ****, too much Windows for my liking. Trouble is I can't really take it off because I want the kids to use Adobe's stuff, and also want them to experience both free and proprietary software so they can make up their own minds.
As such though while I do have extra workload, I do also have considerably more freedom than most teachers. The network is mine and I rule it with an iron fist ;)

Bölvağur
May 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't suggest to you to look for a job.
Few years back I heard a good sentence which I really like, "If an engineer doesn't find a job he'll make one".. well it sounds better in my native tongue.
I am self employed selling linux devices around custom made software.

scottuss
May 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't suggest to you to look for a job.
Few years back I heard a good sentence which I really like, "If an engineer doesn't find a job he'll make one".. well it sounds better in my native tongue.
I am self employed selling linux devices around custom made software.

Do you make a decent living from that?

konqueror7
May 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
currently a freelance java developer,,,i'm the same as you, just graduated last oct2008, i'm planning on finding employment in germany, so i'm a freelance for now...

Bölvağur
May 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Do you make a decent living from that?

Yes and no.... I am just trying to get fund for my next projects. You need a little bit of fund to start up the money machine.
You'll get ton of money for each project but you'll also have to think about the frequency of getting new and new projects, which is harder as people that need programs and special devices will not look for you, you need to look for them. So perhaps in the end it might be less work to just keep looking for a job:(

anyway....
My point was make your own company ;)
Even though the quote was from a sentence saying that engineers knock on company's door, look around trying to find a problem and tell them they want to solve that problem.

But in my opinion we should look at innovation to make a money machine... and then go fund some projects like gnome (for an example)

stwschool
May 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Did it myself for a couple of years, running my own business was great fun. It was a photography company and I built all the software myself for rapid production and printing (in a nightclub) of photos taken on the night to produce various keyrings, magnets, etc. Anyway, enough of that, the point is that it was probably about as much fun as I've had outside of teaching, the feeling of freedom (though with a little uncertainty of course!) from running your own business, succeeding or failing on your own skills and your own work, can't be beaten. If you hit that sweet spot of a product no-one else is offering (no-one locally was) at a price people will pay you'll rake in the cash and have a whale of a time.

The tricky bit is where it comes to expansion. If it gets too big it can stop being fun, which is why I got out and tried something different.

pat23_2007
May 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Server Technician right now, but being trained at job to become a Network Analyst. A full time college student too.

scottuss
May 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Just gonna give this a little bump 'cos I'm still interested :D

XubuRoxMySox
May 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Just a student, but I like the idea of making a living at helping people get Linux! I'm still a complete newbie, but I "resurrected" an old Win98 computer that was basically left for dead, using an ultra-light Ubuntu-based distro called Crunchbang (with ultra-lightweight LXDE on top to give it a newbie-friendly "Windowsy" familiarity). The little old computer runs great on it, and I wonder if I could make my own part-time job bringing old computers back to life?

-Robin

Zom-b
May 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Me, I am an Electronic Technician in the military, more interesting in computers so when I get out I'm getting a degree closer to my interests

beercz
May 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
IT Consultant (http://lidd.net)

steveneddy
May 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
O got fed up with IT and computers and now drive a semi truck over the road full time.

Best job I've ever had.

Great view from the office window, too.

spupy
May 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm a student, but I have a job where I convert coffee/cola into Java code.

Ravernomina
May 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
For right now im a student, And also a intern at Apple Inc. Software wing OS x Kernel construction :).

hanzomon4
May 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
For right now im a student, And also a intern at Apple Inc. Software wing OS x Kernel construction :).

I just want to wear one of those dorky blue shirts... they pay so well *dreams*

lisati
May 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Who me, doing things?

Former system programmer (many years ago now); currently an Ubuntu user, occasional videographer who keep Windows around for my favourite video editing software & DVD authoring, one who indulges in chit-chat on the forums, razzer of email spammers/scammers.....

Speaking of spammers/scammers, if all the scammers I've had email from held good with their promises of money, I'd be a multimillionaire by now. For some reason they tend to go away when I send them a bill for my time or insist that they deduct their fee from the money they promise. Dreams are free......

KegHead
May 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Retired before 50.

Dngrsone
May 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Avionics technician.

koshatnik
May 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Retired before 50.

Top work. :p

I'm a pro photog.