PDA

View Full Version : So, I am a lazy n00b who likes visual elements. Any language suggestions?

thegreger
May 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hello!
Let me start by saying that I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. I have done some programming before on my spare time, so I have basic (in some cases very basic) knowledge about C++ and Visual Basic, I remember something about working in G++ in school a while ago as well.
Since most of the programming I do is very small projects I found VB surprisingly useful before I switched to Ubuntu (And yes, I am aware of the huge amount of n00b-points I earned by using it). You could go from nothing to actually having a working program with some form of primitive GUI in five minutes. Now I would need some kind of advice regarding what to work with instead. Sure, I could probably improve my skills in G++, but I would need something where it is as easy as possible to create visual elements. I remember putting together a really simple mp3-playing software in hallf an hour just by using the VLC plugin in VB. Any suggestions as to what I should learn in Ubuntu? Java?

Also, forgive me if this question has already been answered in the sticky threads. I had a quick look through them and coudn't find much of an answer as to what language is most suitable for those small projects.

/Greger

cobolt01
May 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
There's no point being lazy before you know what you're doing. Rather learn the basics. Make GUI with code. I can give you some pointers on Java Swing GUI if you like :)

slavik
May 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
you can try gambas, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for ...

kjohansen
May 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
you can try Processing. It is a programming language that came out of MITs Media Lab. It is a Java abstraction. It is intended as a starting point for artists and others who want instant visualization and GUIS without the work.

I took a data visualization class in it. It is decently powerful and gives you very easy visualization control...

thegreger
May 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
There's no point being lazy before you know what you're doing. Rather learn the basics. Make GUI with code. I can give you some pointers on Java Swing GUI if you like :)

Sure! I don't mind learning something properly ;)

Gambas looks pretty good to me. Especially if it's capable of translating old VB applications like the wikipedia page says. Even if I learn doing GUIs in Java, it's nice to have something that I know most of already.

you can try Processing. It is a programming language that came out of MITs Media Lab. It is a Java abstraction. It is intended as a starting point for artists and others who want instant visualization and GUIS without the work.

I took a data visualization class in it. It is decently powerful and gives you very easy visualization control...

Oooh, shiny! :D I'll give that one a go too!

Thanks everybody!

Kilon
May 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM

gambas is a very good suggestion, it looks lazy enough ;)

By the way I am lazy too. I let others do the hard work LOL!!!

If I have to work hard then I need a damn good reason to.... I found that python , currently does all the hard work for me. Combined with PyDev and eclipse , it makes work a breeze.

Lazarus and Freepascal is my next favourite choice.

links

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

http://www.python.org/

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/